JLA movie news

Missy

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was a terrible idea but nobody should have that much power over the people that own the characters.

When the people in question are Warner Bros., I think Nolan gets a pass.

I'll give Marvel Studios their due, but the worst aspect of most any of the films leading up to The Avengers was the fact that they were leading up to The Avengers. That's why Iron Man was great - it was an Iron Man movie with a throwaway post-credits scene at the end to germinate the idea. Iron Man 2 was substantially worse because it was all about setting up The Avengers. Arguably nothing the Incredible Hulk had anything to do with The Avengers and it felt very much like a standalone film as a result. Captain America was largely free of Avengers-itis whilst Coulson and Hawkeye really didn't need to be in Thor.

I don't honestly see how DC properties can win trying to replicate the same formula. A) they'll be touted as ripping off Marvel Studios (which they would be), B) Warner Bros. are so controlling that it's hard to see how any standalone film can fluorish unless there is someone as gifted as Nolan behind the scenes, C) what Tom said about marrying up completely different comic concepts and meshing them together successfully, D) sooner or later, people are going to get sick of superhero movies.

At best, I think the only way you can do a JLA movie is through the Zemeckis-style motion capture film. It's not fashionable at the moment, and still relies on massive exposition of bringing 6 or 7 established DC heroes all together, but I think it'd be preferable to a live action rush-job.

Warner Brothers should have the right to screw up their own properties, and Nolan shouldn't get a pass because he made one successful movie at the time.

Two successful movies, you mean. If a movie pulls in the bucks that The Dark Knight pulls in, I don't see what leg you have to stand on.

I'm going to disagree with you a little there, Ian. Sure, Riddler wouldn't have been the epic, insurmountable challenge that Bane seems to represent, but he could certainly work in the film. Throw in a very capable guy like DiCaprio, and the movie could have worked very nicely. I'm not at all bummed, that we got Bane instead, but there is nothing wrong with the studio's idea.

• 2 months later...

Before DKR they showed a trailer for Argo and it was great just because it was one of the first times I was genuinely excited to see Ben Affleck's involvement. He's a really good director. Then again, directing drama and doing an action superhero film are two different things.

On one hand, Affleck ha sa pretty spotless record of amazing movies, so he' be great. He could also play any multitude of characters in the film. On the other hand, I would prefer him to make smart movies and leave the big budget superhero bullshit to the Whedons, Snyders and Bays of the world.

If he continues to do what he does, he'll be remembered as a very high quality filmmaker for a long time as opposed to the others.

The Avengers worked because Marvel/Disney laid things out over a five-year period, built things up to a point where the properties were strong on their own merits and then came together in a manner that made sense. Warner Brothers is saying "AVENGERS MADE A BILLION DOLLARS WE WANT THAT QUICK MAKE A JLA ONE" and going about things entirely the wrong way.

I cannot see this working.