JLA movie news

Missy

Don't forget the baggage of the Green Lantern movie as well. I don't understand why they aren't making movies for Wonder Woman and Flash, both have higher exposure than Green Lantern. Have they been scared by how much they stuffed up Green Lantern.

Like many people have said before, WB don't know how or want to do anything that is Superman or Batman. They have been very profitable for them for a very long time.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It can work. It'll just be difficult.

They don't need to set up Superman, Batman, or Green Lantern. They can probably get away with a minimal explanation for Wonder Woman, seeing as how she's an icon and all that. If they're going with a five-man team like the rumor says, that only leaves Flash to be set up, and he's arguably the least important of the group.

The interesting thing about JLA in comparison to Avengers is that the heroes are already beloved and iconic. Movie audiences needed to actually know who the hell Iron Man, Marvel's version of Thor, Black Widow, and Hawkeye were. Captain America to a degree as well. Hulk was really the only major icon in that movie. On the other hand, the Justice League has been in the pop culture spotlight since Super-Friends, and Superman, Batman, and WW had already had hugely successful TV and radio series before that. When JLA is released, more people will be able to jump straight into it and say "there's Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, that Green Lantern guy, and some fast guy named the Flash. Okay." Then the story can just use those characters to their fullest extent right off the bat.

I don't think you need to set up a six-film continuity for JLA because I don't think it's as important to JLA. Sure, it means you have less time to set up the main conflict, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible. And hell, we don't even know what kind of story they're telling; it might not be the kind of thing that requires a buildup the way the cosmic cube and Loki did. It might just be the equivalent of the Chitauri in Avengers, or an entirely different type of threat. Maybe it's the JLA having to win a bowling tournament; I don't know. But in any case, it's doable. It might force audiences to "just go with it," but it's doable.

Just judging from my friends, some people are going to have problems working things out in their heads. I say a Justice League movie is in the works, and you get all sorts of questions about which Batman, which Superman, ect are in this movie and where it fits into everything. The solo Marvel films did introduce the film audience to these characters, but they also built a very clear and simple to understand world for the Avengers movie to exist.

Just judging from my friends, some people are going to have problems working things out in their heads. I say a Justice League movie is in the works, and you get all sorts of questions about which Batman, which Superman, ect are in this movie and where it fits into everything. The solo Marvel films did introduce the film audience to these characters, but they also built a very clear and simple to understand world for the Avengers movie to exist.

I think that's something they'll have to be able to do in a JLA movie. If they don't do the kind of setup Marvel did, it'll be a bigger challenge to pull off. Don't get me wrong, I want a JLA movei, but I also want a good one.

They could put the group movie first and retroactively try to establish everyone after, but that assumes that all members are in the collective consciousness enough to be recognizable without setup. And then, you run into the issue of "is that Nolan Batman/Snyder Supes/etc?" So, it could be difficult, but if they pick the right person to do it, if they can get a good group dynamic while establishing bare minimums for individual personalities and backstories, and IF they can make it enough of a hit without blowing the load, it's possible. However, that is a HELL of a lot of ifs.

I really think that the number of people that will be genuinely confused by which "version" of the character is which isn't going to be a problem, especially since the Nolanverse's Batman is so markedly different and it'll be easy to see which Superman is which since he has a visible face and all. Furthermore, Snyder implied at SDCC that Man of Steel could very well be the basis for the new shared universe if it's successful.

• 2 months later...

This is probably a good thing. At SDCC, Zack Snyder said that Man of Steel did well, it might be the springboard for a new shared universe. If WB is already moving forward with a team movie then it's likely they're jumping on board the larger-franchise train sooner rather than waiting for MOS, which would mean that they wouldn't be able to do another high-profile DC movie until 2016.

Wow. Same day? I'm amazed they'd want to put it in the same year as another Avengers movie. A hastily thrown together JLA movie would struggle to beat almost any of the Avengers-related properties at this point. Thor 2, Iron Man 3 and Captain America 2 are all going to get big boosts off the back of the last one.

Actually that's not true, if the trailer basically makes it clear that Batman and Superman are teaming up then they'll make bucketloads, but that doesn't mean it's going to have anywhere near the goodwill of the Avengers franchise, which has been running since 2008 and in development since that big loan they took out in 2005.

See, there's even less chance this will turn out decent, cause Avengers had something like three, four movies/years to build everything to a fever pitch. JLA will maybe have Man of Steel and the Green Lantern sequel (that thing is shooting, right?) to try and establish the larger world, but they are going to have to promote the shit out of it to get it on the radar. Avengers 2 is going to have another three years of movies plus the original movie to build the hype. Going up against it on the same month, much less the same day, seems extremely ill-advised.

• 4 months later...