JLA movie news

Missy

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here we go again with the rumors. Latino Review says Nolan is in charge of all DCU super hero movies now, and Snyder might direct Justice League. Oh, and he's trying to get Bale back for it.

http://latino-review.com/2013/03/03/exclusive-dcu-takeover-huge-developments-justice-league/

It makes sense when you think about how making comic book movies has turned into making franchises now, and they need to do something to counter what Marvel and Disney are doing.

Personally, until something is officially announced by the studio, I take any rumor with a grain of salt or, depending on how wild and out of the blue it is like this or the idiocy of a World War Hulk Avengers 3, I think considering it as something that has a chance of happening is a level of stupid up there with deciding to buy stock in a company that you know for a fact is about to declare bankruptcy. I don't care how reliable a source it has been in the past. Here's why:

1) Nolan's Batman is very much grounded in reality. The idea of him and Superman hanging out is more than a little off-putting. Even if it's a different Batman, he's too connected to the Nolan films for some people to differentiate.

2) Man of Steel could still flop. No way WB is going to plan this far ahead with a man who's track record with them, while somewhat successful, still included Sucker Punch. They need to see results before they hand a billion dollar franchise to him.

3) Christian Bale turns 40 this year. With all of 2013 pretty much booked, including one Zach Snyder film for that matter, no way he is able to do the film before he turns 42 at the earliest. HOWEVER, you also factor in some of the other movies he's been offered including a David O. Russell film and that means longer until he's willing to make himself available. Not only that but he's not under contract to do another Batman film and his asking price is bound to be rather expensive, enough where he would probably price himself out of the picture.

4) Whether they'd like to admit it or not, there is a slight stigma to Batman thanks to the shootings at the midnight showing of Dark Knight Rises.

5) We all heard about the script made of pure shit that got thrown out. Nolan isn't the kind of guy to allow his name to be associated with something as shitty as that. Its going to need at least one rewrite before he even let's his name and JLA be mentioned in the same breath.

6) Do you really think that WB would keep this under wraps? Christopher Nolan is their Golden Cow. Christian Bale is a critical and box office darling. Zach Snyder is... alright. If Nolan was shaping the movie and Snyder was directing and Bale was starring, they would have had the huge press conference where they announced every detail. No way they would have allowed this moment of brilliance get scooped by one silly internet site.

• 1 year later...

Ah yes. And once again, Massive Stupidity wins the day at Warners.

Make mine Marvel.

Yours has always been Marvel.

I'm not sure what the big deal is. The guy who directed Man of Steel, and is directing the sequel, which will kickstart the expansion of the DC Universe films, is signed on to helm the official team-up film. It's unsurprising, sure, but it also shows continuity and there's only been one film released so far to really judge anything.

"Massive Stupidity" makes no sense to me - who should Warners be hiring at this point? Whedon?

So far, Snyder is two for three with comic book films.

300 was mindless, but good fun. Watchmen is fucking awesome, and I'll fight anyone that disagrees. Man of Steel was weak, but the script was 99% of the problem.

Snyder will never be a Kurosawa, but give him a half-decent script and he tends to make pretty entertaining movies.

Edit: Plus his solid Dawn of the Dead remake. Admittedly, I hated Suckerpunch, but at least it was bold.

I'm with Preston. But I'll add two things:

01. I know it's blasphemy to say, but I feel the ending of Snyder's Watchmen is more consistent with the world and story than Moore's ending (RE: energy pulse versus an "alien" invasion).

02. Man of Steel has a lot going for it, and I think the destruction of Metropolis will play a major part in the next movie -- especially when it comes to Bruce Wayne and Lex Luthor's motivations.

The main reason I'm balking at this is how they're going about it. (See: clusterfuck commentary in the Bats v Supes thread.)

Snyder can get the imagery down, he just needs to nail the script, that'll be the biggest issue. I liked Watchmen, 300 is a good mindless watch, only saw the last ten minutes of MoS waiting for GoT and didn't much like what I saw, but that was just the last ten minutes. I think he can pull it off, but they have to get their shit together on the how. They're trying to lay it all out in one movie (two if you count MoS, but just barely), and if that crashes and burns, it doesn't bode well.

Still, it's about time they got their shit together on this.

Oh, I think Batman vs. Superman will be a mess. But I don't think it Wil be Snyder's fault. Tossing in the whole JLA reeks of studio meddling.

But the idea of Snyder actually getting to do a movie with Superman and Batman kicking the fuck out of each other is awesome.

I disagree about the ending. I think the juxtaposition of the classically comic booky mad scientist "alien" scheme with the pages of blood and destruction is perfectly in line with what Moore was doing with Watchmen. I also think those pages are some of the most artistically effective in the entire series. The ending in the movie is fine, but for me it's a lot less imaginative and interesting.

The thing that bugged me about the Watchmen movie's ending is that Dr. Manhattan was specifically said to be an American. Even if he blew up New York, all that means is an American went crazy and killed a bunch of people. That's not going to calm things down whatsoever. Having a true third party do the killing makes sense, but I do agree that the alien squid idea only really works if you look at it from the meta perspective of comics becoming reality.

I don't really have any faith that Batman vs. Superman or JLA will be any good, but that's 100% on David Goyer, not Zack Snyder. Goyer seems like he legitimately does not understand how superhero stories work, and Snyder is the kind of director who's 100% reliant on a good script to carry the movie.

• 4 weeks later...

The thing that bugged me about the Watchmen movie's ending is that Dr. Manhattan was specifically said to be an American. Even if he blew up New York, all that means is an American went crazy and killed a bunch of people. That's not going to calm things down whatsoever. Having a true third party do the killing makes sense, but I do agree that the alien squid idea only really works if you look at it from the meta perspective of comics becoming reality.

This. It doesn't make genuine sense for Dr. Manhattan to take the blame and for the US not to be FUBAR'd

• 1 year later...