Transformers 2

JackFetch

Guest DCAUFan1051
What happens with me is that I will usually go into a movie looking for not only good visuals, but a good plot to compliment it. If it has one but doesn't have the other, then I usually have a hard time enjoying it.

I think I'm the same way, but with a Michael Bay film I know in the back of my mind that the explosions and action will take a front row seat and the plot/story would take a backseat. I think the only exception to this is Armageddon.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens with me is that I will usually go into a movie looking for not only good visuals, but a good plot to compliment it. If it has one but doesn't have the other, then I usually have a hard time enjoying it.

I think I'm the same way, but with a Michael Bay film I know in the back of my mind that the explosions and action will take a front row seat and the plot/story would take a backseat. I think the only exception to this is Armageddon.

The Rock was decent as well. I only really started to sour on Bay when he started trying to do stuff that was beyond him like Pearl Harbour. Almost everything after that has been pretty poor.

I think the success of Armageddon is mostly down to Bruce Willis. Its not Harry or whatever his name was, its Bruce Willis dying to save us all. Throw almost anyone else in there and I couldn't give a shit. Mostly its wacky BS with the crew and scientific impossibilities like secret Space Shuttles made of titanium, a material entirely unsuitable for making space shuttles from, or the idea that you can land on a meteor and crack it down the middle so it won't hit earth. Its one of the stupidest films of all time and without Bruce Willis in there lending it a degree of gravitas I would consign it to cinema hell alongside Transformers 2.

George Lucas once said (in regards to the Original Trilogy, not the prequels) that there's a difference between what stimulates you mentally and what stimulates you emotionally. The original Star Wars trilogy is meant to stimulate on an emotional level because they are, ultimately, stories about emotion.

And hey, if you actually analyze Star Wars in any kind of realistic light, it doesn't work. Lasers don't explode, Ion Engines don't go that fast, and traveling at "lightspeed" wouldn't let you go from one side of the Galaxy to the other in any less than 120,000 years. But that's not the point.

I think that The Dark Knight and Transformers 2 are on opposite sides of the spectrum. Whereas the former is so intellectual that it often forsakes or purposely obscures the action, the latter makes the action its focus. There's room for both.

Yeah, there's a thousand groan-worthy parts of Transformers 2 (stupid characters, stupid scenes, etc), but ultimately it works. The plot is fine, the storytelling is fine; there's just a lot of crap hanging onto it. If you can ignore it, great. If not, then okay.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Everyone on here knows I've got let's say different tastes when it comes to music, tv and movies..... I truly believe there are worse films out there then this one. This is tailored to a certain fanbase. This is not the last "bad" movie we'll ever see it's not the death of cinema that Transformers 2 was made.

I really wish that Spielberg himself would direct TF3. I mean, seriously, if ANYONE knows how to direct epic American-style action with the right balance of humor, seriousness, and epic scope, it's him. If he used what he learned from his WWII films and combined it with a bit of War of the Worlds, he could actually make the TF film that everyone wants.

That might be another reason why TF2 didn't bother me; it didn't ruin the potential for sequels. *COUGH*X-Men 3*COUGH*

• 3 months later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

Suave honestly I got the 2 disc non steelbook edition because I wanted the extra special features.... I'm really not into the DVD "store exclusives" outside of steelbook packaging. There is a feature on the 2 disc edition 25 Years Of Transformers and it's very interesting. I think if your a TF fan and bout the first film on DVD then you should get this one. If your just a "regular" movie watcher then this you could pass by. Even alot of the TF friends I have are saying they don't like this film. I'm not even gonna defend it and say it is good, because it clearly isn't. Does it have good parts? ... sure. I think the main issue with the live action TF films is that Bay pretty much is the writer as well as director. Which sucks!!

Guest DCAUFan1051

I just watch TF2 for the Shanghai scene and the forest battle. Those two scenes are cool enough for me that the rest of it doesn't bother me.

I liked when megan fox torches wheelie's eye..... hasbro even worked that into the toy.

Guest DCAUFan1051

agreed plus I liked when Bumblebee ripped him in half. Like when Megatron ripped Jazz in half in the first film.

Very true. Bumblebee was definitely cool in this film.

What I really enjoyed, however, was how incredibly badass they made Optimus Prime.

oh yeah the give me your face line to the fallen was a trending topic on twitter for months

• 2 weeks later...