Hollywood is about to strike

JackFetch

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I didn't see it coming,"

HAHAHAHA, you don't show up for work and refuse to do your job and you act surprised you get fired.

"I am not entirely sure what their strategy is, all I know was that I was a casualty of it."

Oh fuck off with that shit. The real victims were the crew members who lost their jobs and income when the writers decided to strike. The writers are still getting paid and collecting benefits through their union, while other team members of the shows lost their jobs, so fuck off with calling yourself the casualty.

The Director's Guild will not be striking!

The DGA’s reached a tentative three-year deal with the AMPTP with key advances in jurisdiction and payment for programming on the Internet.

“Two words describe this agreement -- groundbreaking and substantial,” said Gil Cates, chair of the DGA’s Negotiations Committee. “The gains in this contract for directors and their teams are extraordinary -- and there are no rollbacks of any kind.”

The was announced Thursday afternoon following six days of negotiations at AMPTP amid widespread expectations that the helmers would quickly reach an agreement with the majors. Deal, if ratified by the 13,500 DGA members, will take effect on July 1.

DGA touted a trio of new-media gains:

* Establishing DGA jurisdiction over programs produced for distribution on the Internet;

* Boosting the residuals formula for paid Internet downloads (electronic sell-through) by double the current rate;

* And establishing residual rates for ad-supported streaming and use of clips on the Internet.

The DGA deal amps up the pressure from all sides on the leadership of the Writers Guild of America, which has been on strike since Nov. 5. Its last negotiations with the AMPTP collapsed on Dec. 7 with the congloms demanding that the guild drop six of its proposals.

The WGA had no immediate reaction to the announcement.

The town’s focus will immediately shift to whether the terms of the DGA deal will be acceptable to the WGA. A group of moderate writers have been pushing in recent days for the leaders not to reject the DGA deal out of hand but optimists believe that the DGA deal will be enough of a breakthrough on new-media questions to pave the way for a WGA pact.

Talks, launched Saturday, were led by on the DGA side by Cates and DGA national exec director Jay D. Roth. The key informal talks -- which laid the groundwork for the deal -- took place in recent weeks with Fox topper Peter Chernin and Disney chief Robert Iger.

“This was a very difficult negotiation that required real give and take on both sides,” said DGA president Michael Apted said in a statement. “Nonetheless, we managed to produce an agreement that enshrines the two fundamental principles we regard as absolutely crucial to any employment and compensation agreement in this digital age: First, jurisdiction is essential. Without secure jurisdiction over new-media production -- both derivative and original -- compensation formulas are meaningless. Second, the Internet is not free. We must receive fair compensation for the use and reuse of our work on the Internet, whether it was originally created for other media platforms or expressly for online distribution.”

The DGA deal opens the door for AFTRA to launch its delayed network code negotiations. AFTRA prexy Roberta Reardon delivered the first official reaction to the deal and noted that the net code talks will start by Feb. 19.

“AFTRA is encouraged by the news that the DGA has reached a deal with the AMPTP,” she said. “We have yet to have an opportunity to review the specifics of their deal but we remain optimistic that the Writers Guild will soon resume negotiations with the studios so people can return to work. AFTRA’s priority is to negotiate strong wages, residuals, benefits, and working conditions for talent in all TV day parts and formats and we intend to resume our own negotiations with the networks and major producers for the Network Code on or before Feb. 19.”

http://www.variety.com/VR1117979228.html

Whoever got the first deal was supposed to set the standard for everyone else. The WGA needs to man up and take the deal. I mean come on, it only took them 6 days.

With respect to the directors, they have always been in a better light than the writers. Directors work on points not residuals. Their output is decided upon the success of previous work, not on the merit of sales after the matter.

The writers have a much steeper hill to climb.

Marvel Studios and WGA Sign Interim Agreement!

Marvel Studios, a subsidiary of Marvel Entertainment, Inc., and the Writers Guild of America (WGA) announced today that they have reached an interim comprehensive agreement that will put writers immediately back to work on the Marvel Studios development slate. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

"We're very excited about our summer releases, 'Iron Man' and 'The Incredible Hulk,' and look forward to resuming work with writers on our future projects including 'Captain America,' 'Thor,' 'Ant-Man,' and 'The Avengers,'" said Marvel Studios Chairman David Maisel.

"Marvel Studios' signing of an interim agreement with the Writers Guild is more good news for our membership," said WGAE President Michael Winship and WGAW President Patric M. Verrone. "Marvel is committed to fairly compensating their writers and now they can move forward with their planned production schedule."

Marvel Studios recently launched its independent live-action film studio to develop, produce, and fully finance Marvel movies, which will include two of this summer's most anticipated releases - Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. Directed by Jon Favreau, Iron Man will be released by Paramount Pictures on May 2, 2008, and stars Robert Downey Jr., Terrence Howard, Jeff Bridges and Gwyneth Paltrow. The Incredible Hulk, which will be released by Universal Pictures on June 13, 2008, is directed by Louis Leterrier and stars Edward Norton, Liv Tyler, Tim Roth, and William Hurt.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6715

Okay the latest Ant-Man series with Eric O'Grady (The Iredeemable Ant-Man) was awesome and could easily spin out of the shield continuity established in Iron Man and the new Hulk film, but apparently thats not what they are doing. They are using former Avengers members Hank Pym and Scott Lang as the two primary Ant-Men in the film, and that its likely to be more of a look at a modern successor to a classic old-school hero.

Really I think the amoral Eric O'Grady version is much more marketable, especially since there are far more comedy elements to play up and there are far better costumed personas to explore the past/modern theme they are looking at, such as Captain Marvel. The idea of a teaser trailer featuring O'Grady's encounter with Carol Danvers, I just can't believed they'd pass that up.

The Irredeemable Ant-Man was a hilarious comic that, sadly, only laster 12 issues. That said, I don't think the movie will follow the Eric O'Grady Ant-Man of the Irredeemable series. Most likely it will be about Hank Pym, the original Ant-Man.

Is it a concept that can be transferred to the big screen? Without looking stupid.

Stavros is right; an "irredeemable" Ant-Man would make for a much funnier picture than one that's supposed to be (semi-)serious. Hank Pym and Scott Lang could very easily be in a movie that focuses on O'Grady: Pym as the inventor of the suit, Lang as the previous Ant-Man / mentor.

Either way, Edgar Wright is leading the project, so it's going to rock!

According to what I'd heard, the idea was that the first part of the movie would be Hank Pym, set in the 60s, wth a kind of "Man from UNCLE" feel to it. Then it would flash forward to now, and Scott Lang taking over from the original.

While I agree that Eric O'Grady would make a great movie character, I think that they will probably play up Scott's criminal past and graft some aspect of Eric's personality onto Scott. Wright gave an interview in Moviehole last year, and said point blank that Scott Lang was a character he enjoyed reading when he was growing up and thought was criminally underused.

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome! Do you know if there's any word as to whether it's too late to save the TV season or not?

I know in the case of Smallville, there is enough time to produce a few more episodes in the season. I know that there for a fact is going to be an 8th Season

In the case of Smallville it's a few years late to save it...

Is anyone other than Eisner talking about this? None of the major news outlets have said a word and a suggestion was made from the proverbial "WGA insider" that Eisner is talking out his ass.

I want it to be true, obviously, but it's weird that I haven't seen an AP story yet.

Okay, did a little digging (I know a guy who knows a guy who etc): The producers made an offer that the WGA has not yet voted on. By accounts, it's a halfway decent offer taking into account:

1) the Directors Guild asked for, and got, something in line with what the writers asked for, and

2) no one who remembers the Oscar telecast from the 1988 writers' strike wants a debacle like that to happen again, or a press conference that no one will watch.

They vote in a day or two, apparently. It may be almost over.