Randomness

Missy

I am currently staying with my (and Pandy's) grandmother, who turned 99 6 weeks ago, had a pacemaker fitted on Friday and still lives independently  - I know, she's awesome.

Anyway, in between the fact that she consumes all manner of Freeview evening programming from the US (CSI, NCIS, Big Bang Theory, Bones etc), she casually mentioned that she watched Star Trek contemporaneously, when she would have been mid-late 40s. After a little prying, it turns out she also would watch The Avengers, the Man from U.N.C.L.E., and The Prisoner (which she found too surreal). Whilst it shouldn't surprise me that someone alive at the time would watch populist programming, it's weird to think both Granny and Grandpa Wilson watched them. Specifically Grandpa.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I love black olives on pizza. Always have.

When we had an abundance of fresh veggies from a delivery service years ago (local farms did this through a co-op) I even put collard greens on pizza. I ate a LOT of fresh veggies that summer.

They had to be used before they went bad. It was surprisingly good.

Nano was crying because the hamper was too close to his favorite blanket and he could not get by. Even though there are approximately 100 other places he can sleep, including two dog beds. Naturally I went upstairs to fix it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

A year or so ago, I observed as someone's phone rang, and she answered it on her watch.

I knew that was something that is possible, but it really made me think: We really are living in a future that used to be science fiction in movies or TV shows.

Many of our gadgets now are MORE advanced than what was on Star Trek 25 years ago! Plus, the price of technology is way down compared to what it would have been back then. We live in an amazing time.

The Apple Watch has really progressed since it's debut. Initially, if I recall, your iPhone needed to be near you for the watch to work. But the latest version seems to work, no matter the distance, so long as both devices are on the same wireless network. I work in a 10 story building, and one of VPs left her phone on her desk, yet was able to use the watch many floors above her office. Eventually Apple will find a way to untether the devices, making the watch a phone all by itself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 7:57 AM, S-T said:

OK. My Beagle was recently at the vet. She will be 15 in November. Among other things, she has arthritis, so we have a pill we give her each day to help with pain and inflammation.  She has more energy now, is able to play a bit more, and doesn't seem as tender and stiff in the morning. So I'm glad to pay for the medicine. The problem is getting her to take the pill.

Nano (a Beagle / Rat Terrier mix) is on the same medicine Tera was the last 8 months of her life. He was having trouble taking stairs, and doesn't get up on his hind legs any more. Went to the vet one week ago today, and unlike his "sister" he loves taking his pill. (At least the first eight days anyway.) He appears to be a lot more comfortable now. He will be 16 in May.

Yes, I named my dogs after mathematical prefixes.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Brought home a Milton Bradley Starbird spaceship toy I had as a child for my boys. (It was in storage.) Plugged in a 9 volt battery. The LED lights still light up and the speaker still works, and pushing the button still makes the laser cannon sounds.

Pretty freaking impressive for a toy that is over 40 years old.

• 5 months later...

I am still getting a weekly notice on my Outlook calendar at work reminding me to empty the trash can at my desk.

I have not had to do that in ten months. However, I am keeping the calendar notification as it represents a sense of normalcy.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Recently I discovered the law firm I work for has a client who used to own the pool hall I frequented from 1995-1997. The client sold it in 1999, so it's long been out of his hands, but it gave me one of those "Whoa! Small world!" moments.

19 hours ago, Missy said:

Recently I discovered the law firm I work for has a client who used to own the pool hall I frequented from 1995-1997. The client sold it in 1999, so it's long been out of his hands, but it gave me one of those "Whoa! Small world!" moments.

I had something similar in my previous job to do with a dental practice in the suburb of Derby where the previous Fort Wilson was situated - I would pass it frequently when going to the pub or buying cans for home. Given that job of mine was based in my current city of Newcastle over 200 miles away, that was a surprise!

Similar 'Small World' vibes - two mums from the class next door went to the same Secondary School as I. 

Both from cohorts a few years lower than I so, needless to say, I don't remember them. You wouldn't give the time of day to anyone much younger than you when you're at school. 

• 1 month later...

I'm getting ready to move in the next couple of months. Today, as part of that, was going through all my Single Issues and deciding what to keep, what to pitch, and what to see if any of my friends might want. I'm down to Two Longboxes I'm keeping, two I'm going to try to get rid of, and one or so that I have pitched. I came to have some thought.

• I found it incredible how often I stuck with runs I didn't like for much too long. In particular, Buffy Season 8 and Angel Season 6. I think I kept reading out of loyalty than anything else. Fables is the big one. I'm ready to finally admit that while the series started strong, it needed to end much sooner and didn't need spin-offs.
  • Apathy. I can see around when I actually cared about collecting and around when I was just drifting along out of habit. Main way is seeing when I stopped bagging and boarding new stuff. Most of the older stuff, I bought at cons and it was already.
  • I can kind of see where I really stopped buying floppies which is around the New 52. This wasn't entirely by design. The friends I would buy comics with left the area, it was harder and harder to justify going to the area of town where my LCS was, and this is around when I just financially couldn't buy comics anymore. Even now, I am almost entirely digital with the occasional single issue.
  • I have no real illusions that anything I'm keeping is worth anything. I enjoy 52 but I also know I'm keeping it for the novelty. Honestly, a fair chunk of what I'm keeping is stuff I bought at cons rather than what I read as it was coming out.

So yeah, this is a weird feeling but ehh. It is what it is. I'm hoping that, moving forward, I actually have more of a reason to read what I own since I don't need to sort through quite as much junk to find it. Or maybe in the next move years from now, I get down to one box.