Randomness

Missy

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone read "And Another Thing..." by Eion Colfer? It's meant to be the sixth book in the Hitchhiker's Guide Series, written by an Irish author and with permission from Douglas Adams' widow. Does it suck, does it not, does anyone know?

Think I'm getting out of my little creativity rut. Spring Quarter starts up tomorrow. Taking a Fiction Writing Seminar and I'm going to be running an Exalted campaign in my spare time so yeah, I'm forcing myself to be creative this next quarter. Now just to get through the next couple of weeks intact.

Think I'm getting out of my little creativity rut. Spring Quarter starts up tomorrow. Taking a Fiction Writing Seminar and I'm going to be running an Exalted campaign in my spare time so yeah, I'm forcing myself to be creative this next quarter. Now just to get through the next couple of weeks intact.

Looking forward to hearing about your seminar course, Will. Keep me posted.

Went to the Bloomsbury Theatre in London tonight to see a variety music/standup show headlined by Alan Moore. Fucking GREAT. Until you've seen Alan Moore singing backing vocals on a song about tarantulas you can't claim to have a truly rounded picture of the complexity of the world. It was basically short 10 minute sets by each act, some well known, some not so, but they were all superb. Stewart Lee did a short set, his wife Bridget Cristie did some standup about the plight of ants in the comedy world whilst dressed in a deliberatly shit ant costume, Kevin Eldon did three short sets as various characters and we got a lot of music throughout as well. Moore himself gave a short 10-15 minute lecture/standup set on religion and the dangers of being bound together in one belief, regardless of whether that belief was faith in a god or a political system or whatever.

Fascinating and hilarious evening, well worth the trip.

Okay, this term's classes are going to be awesome beyond measure. Biological anthropology is the only one that'll be meh of the three, but it's still pretty solid; Bizzarchaeology is going to look at archaeological myths/hoaxes, like King Tut's Curse and Atlantis, and why they exist (mainly as explanations that actively go against mainstream forms of knowledge and use alternative forms of knowledge), and can also be used to explain the birther movement in America; and for The Art of Film, we'll be looking at the following films - Chaplin's The Gold Rush (which we did today), Eisenstein's Potemkin, Welles' Citizen Kane, DeSica's Bicycle Thief, Fellini's 8 1/2, Godard's Breathless, Kurosawa's Yojimbo, Hitchcock's Psycho, Penn's Bonny and Clyde, and Rush's The Stunt Man, all of which I have never seen.

When you get to discussion of Citizen Kane, bring up the huge plot hole (Kane dies alone with no one in the room and he whispers Rosebud as he dies. The entire movie is about a reporter trying to find out the meaning of his last word. How the hell did anyone hear it?) Depending on the kind of professor you have, he might have a conniption or congratulate you on noticing it.

When you get to discussion of Citizen Kane, bring up the huge plot hole (Kane dies alone with no one in the room and he whispers Rosebud as he dies. The entire movie is about a reporter trying to find out the meaning of his last word. How the hell did anyone hear it?) Depending on the kind of professor you have, he might have a conniption or congratulate you on noticing it.

Spoiler.

Spoiler.

It happens in the first minute of the movie. That's like calling it a spoiler to say that in Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Buffy slays vampires.