Randomness

Missy

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Glee fandom: WE SURVIVED THE 118 DAY HIATUS!
  • Sherlock fandom: Cute.
  • Firefly fandom: AT LEAST YOURS COMES BACK.
  • Star Trek 2 Movie: JJ get your crap together.
  • Arrested Development Movie: ...
  • A Song of Fire And Ice: Six. Freaking. Years.
  • Toy Story 3: 10.
  • Monsters Inc 2: 10+
  • Sirius Black: I did my waiting! 12 years of it, in Azkaban!
  • Jew: Forty. In a desert.
  • Rory Williams: almost 2000 years guarding a box.
  • God: Alright guys, Rory wins. Everyone go home.

I play a weekly trivia night run by a guy in his fifties who does trivia nights for a living. Anyway, in December he has another job. He speaks Japanese and a shopping centre in Japan pays for him to fly over and for about 3 weeks he is their shopping mall Santa. Below is the email he sent out to all his trivia attendees about this years service.

Hi all,

I know I say this every year, but I do find it hard to be too cynical about Christmas. This year's pleasures include the kindergarten a couple of weeks ago where all the staff dressed up for Santa's visit with no self-consciousness about it - including one in a remarkable Red-nosed Reindeer costume. As I was waiting to make my entrance, one of the teachers played 'Silent Night' on the piano (as if it was the Grand March from Aida). She was joined for the next carol by a young teacher who played a tuba accompaniment... this is a kindergarten! That sort of enthusiasm and wish to share the joy sure cuts down the cynicism.

Talking kindergartens, a male teacher at one that I visited last year and this year is a muso (dresses like one too) and has written a halfway decent Christmas song about Santa that the children sing to his guitar accompaniment. I'm trying to get hold of a copy.

It's a total myth that Santa is just for the kids; adults love him and want to meet him too. Every year, as well as the families, I get lots of adults, including middle-aged and older people, by themselves, asking to take a photo. Most don't want to be in the pic, they just want a souvenir of the encounter.

The shopping centre where I work is having a slow period. There are "Sale" signs all over - a week before Christmas! Santa makes sure that he includes shop staff in his roves and goes in and gives them a handshake and a lolly. It's still amazing how delighted Japanese people are to shake hands with Santa. Outside the business world, most Japanese in this part of the world have never shaken hands with anyone. One kinder/chld care centre has all 200 kids line up and shake hands with Santa.

The weather here is cold. Riding my nana bike to work into the evil north wind, I remember the old joke about a lazy wind - doesn't go round you, goes right through you. Shouldn't complain, having heard about some of Melbourne's recent weather.

Japan is very different from Australia in many ways. One area of non-difference from Melbourne in Kyushu is the drivers. Drivers here accelerate when the light turns amber and, routinely, there are two or three cars that run the red. It's not at all unusual for drivers to totally ignore the red light at pedestrian crossings, which makes it very scary to see young people, heads down, focussed on mobile phone, walk out when the walk sign clicks. Makes me feel quite at home.

Gotta go and frock up now. It's a public holiday today for the Emperor's birthday, so the shopping centre will be crowded. There's a massive "people's gospel choir" - up to 500 people - singing later today and it should all be very Christmassy in a good way.

I hope you have a good time over the next week or so; I hope Santa visits - I know some of you have been naughty! Have a fabulous 2012.

See you next year,