Friday the 13th remake

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw it. Perfectly fine slasher movie, even if it was played a little straight.

I'm glad they didn't make it a self-referential thing. I'll say no more, tomorrow's Dread Media will be enough.

I agree that an the all out near spoof level pastiche thing has been overdone in almost every way. Scream did it best and Jason X did it silliest. Its just that I tend to expect a little more in the way of irony in these things, this was pretty much just kill-kill-kill without bringing the funny. Its odd to make a modern Fri XIII film and play it this straight, the concept is as old as the hills and they should have shown some awareness of that.

Saw it. Perfectly fine slasher movie, even if it was played a little straight.

I'm glad they didn't make it a self-referential thing. I'll say no more, tomorrow's Dread Media will be enough.

I agree that an the all out near spoof level pastiche thing has been overdone in almost every way. Scream did it best and Jason X did it silliest. Its just that I tend to expect a little more in the way of irony in these things, this was pretty much just kill-kill-kill without bringing the funny. Its odd to make a modern Fri XIII film and play it this straight, the concept is as old as the hills and they should have shown some awareness of that.

I see your point but I don't know how many horror films you watch regularly.

Coming from someone who watches three a week, almost every slasher has done that since Scream. And after Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, no one should do it again.

I'll admit my experience is pretty much limited to the Alien series, the latter Fri XIII films, the Scream films and its imitators and a couple of Halloweens. Oh, and Perfect Blue. I'm not an in-depth horror fan, in fact going to see the new movie today might well have been the first time I saw one in theatres.

The only purpose of the Saw franchise is reviews on this website. :D

Yahoo News breaking it down

Apparently at close of business tonight it is expected to top the five week total for My Bloody Valentine 3-D in four days even taking into account the gimmick and higher ticket price. It bested its 16 million dollar budget by 3 million on opening night. I wouldn't be surprised to see a sequel by Halloween at this rate.

Apparently at close of business tonight it is expected to top the five week total for My Bloody Valentine 3-D in four days even taking into account the gimmick and higher ticket price. It bested its 16 million dollar budget by 3 million on opening night. I wouldn't be surprised to see a sequel by Halloween at this rate.

Why wait, there's another Friday 13th next month.

Yeah, for some reason the dates in February and March always line up.

Yeah, for some reason the dates in February and March always line up.

28 days is 4 weeks exactly, so unless it's a leap year, both months should match up exactly.

I'm not sure if this should be a new thread or not.

I watched "His Name Was Jason" (a Friday the 13th documentary) this morning.

This was a good retrospective on the Friday series. They didn't talk as much about Freddy vs. Jason as I would have liked, but some of the interviews were interesting. Having Felissa Rose comment was fun, but seemed out of place without an explanation of who she is (for those who haven't seen that series.)

I was taken aback by the appearance of the Angry Video Game Nerd, and his review of the Friday the 13th NES game. It earned its spot on my Netflix queue for that reason alone. I'm sure he was thrilled to be a part of it.

I'm not sure if this should be a new thread or not.

I watched "His Name Was Jason" (a Friday the 13th documentary) this morning.

This was a good retrospective on the Friday series. They didn't talk as much about Freddy vs. Jason as I would have liked, but some of the interviews were interesting. Having Felissa Rose comment was fun, but seemed out of place without an explanation of who she is (for those who haven't seen that series.)

I was taken aback by the appearance of the Angry Video Game Nerd, and his review of the Friday the 13th NES game. It earned its spot on my Netflix queue for that reason alone. I'm sure he was thrilled to be a part of it.

It could have been better. I mean it covers 12 films, but the Halloween documentary was longer only covering 8 films. I did still enjoy it for what it was, especially since you know Paramount would have never put out the money to have it made. I have the two Making of books Making Friday the 13th by David Grove and Crystal Lake Memories by Peter Bracke, so this is a good companion piece.

The Angry Video Game Nerd was the edited version of the original aired version(on time and music) and sadly they didn't include the conclusion part(which had him ripping on the NOES NES game) or the ottakes(you can watch the outtakes on cinemassacre.com).

You are right about Felissa Rose, all they do it put what film she was in, but unless you've seen the film you have no idea what it is.

Daniel Ferrands who wrote Halloween 6(the original filmed version) directed the documentary and help with the Peter Bracke book's release.