The Wrestler

JackFetch

I was wondering what this was about since I heard about it. I thought maybe it was a remake of the 70s movie. As it turns out it is starring Nicolas Cage as an aging pro wrestler that has a heart attack in the ring.

Nicolas Cage is in talks to star in screenwriter Robert Siegel's indie drama The Wrestler, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The film, now in development at Darren Aronofsky's Protozoa Pictures, centers on Randy "The Ram" Robinson, a 1980s-era star pro wrestler who has become a burnt-out shell of his former self. After he has a heart attack during a small-time match, a doctor tells him he could die if he fights again.

In an effort to build a new life, Robinson takes a job at a deli, moves in with an aging stripper and tries to build a relationship with her son. But the prospect of a rematch with his old nemesis the Ayatollah proves too tempting to resist, even if it means risking his life.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=38296

• 1 month later...

Nicolas Cage dropped out and Mickey Rourke will now star in it. I guess it wasn't a big enough movie for Cage.

Mickey Rourke is getting into the ring with "The Wrestler," the indie drama that Darren Aronofsky will direct in January.

Rourke will play Randy "The Ram" Robinson," a role that Nicolas Cage had reportedly been set to play. There was no word Sunday as to why he had left the project.

Aronofsky and Robert Siegel wrote the script for "The Wrestler," about an over-the-hill grappler who returns to the ring for one last shot at glory.

Rourke, who once took time away from his screen career to become a boxer, has been enjoying a film resurgence that began with "Man on Fire" and "Sin City." He wrapped the John Madden-directed "Killshot," and is currently starring in the ensemble of "The Informers," a Gregor Jordan-directed adaptation of the Bret Easton Ellis novel.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797577...=1&nid=2562

I actually like Rourke better in this role. He's a more legitimate tough guy, and he fits the older age requirement.

• 1 month later...
WWE Hall of Famer Greg "The Hammer" Valentine has been telling people he's in the upcoming movie "The Wrestler" starring Mickey Rourke. The movie was originally going to star Nicholas Cage, but he pulled out of the movie for undisclosed reasons.

http://rajah.com/base/node/10336

I hope he plays another old ex wrestler. I don't want to see him in a ring, even in a movie.

• 1 month later...
WXWWrestling.com has your first look at Mickey Rourke in character on the set of director Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler. The drama centers on Randy "The Ram" Robinson (Rourke), a 1980s-era star pro wrestler who has become a burnt-out shell of his former self. After he has a heart attack during a small-time match, a doctor tells him he could die if he fights again. But the prospect of a rematch with his old nemesis the Ayatollah proves too tempting to resist, even if it means risking his life.

popsandmickey2cc2.th.jpg

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41760

John Madden-directed "Killshot,"

Are they talking about the same John Madden I'm thinking of...?

Different guy. He's a British director.

Too late. All I can think about is the sportscaster.

"What each of these wrestlers wants to do, the thing that's really important, if they want to win, is that each of them wants to pin their opponent for three seconds. If our guy can do that, if he can pin his opponent for three consecutive seconds, while simultaneously avoiding getting pinned himself, I'd say he's got a good chance of winning this match."

• 6 months later...
Variety's Anne Thompson reports that Fox Searchlight Pictures has picked up director Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler at the Toronto International Film Festival for about $4 million. The drama, starring Mickey Rourke, won The Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival on Saturday.

The film centers on Randy "The Ram" Robinson (Rourke), a 1980s-era star pro wrestler who has become a burnt-out shell of his former self. After he has a heart attack during a small-time match, a doctor tells him he could die if he fights again. In an effort to build a new life, Robinson takes a job at a deli, moves in with an aging stripper and tries to build a relationship with her son. But the prospect of a rematch with his old nemesis the Ayatollah proves too tempting to resist, even if it means risking his life.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/torontonews.php?id=48622

Film critic Roger Ebert has reviewed "The Wrestler", a film directed by Darren Aronofsky and starring Mickey Rourke. Ebert calls it "meat-and-potatoes filmmaking, anchored by a strong story and sharply defined characters." He also says Mickey Rourke's performance in the lead role is "arguably his best career performance and could win him an Oscar nomination." Ebert's full review of the film can be read here.

I wonder if Nicolas Cage is kicking himself?

• 2 months later...

The trailer look good but im still alittle uncertain on it to be honest, its really going to be down to public perception to how the film ultimately does I feel when the word wrestling/wrestler is mentioned and spoke about. And yeah I know the film will probably act as an answer to people who may be put off by the term 'the wrestler' but initial opinions will count more in people going/not going to see the film

You know what, that actually looks pretty damn good. It reminds me of something else, but for the life of me I can't think of what. I think the soundtrack definitely helps with the tone of the trailer; makes it feel like a human interest story, rather than an action or comedy (which people will think it is from the title).

All in all, I think it will have a limited release here in Oz, mainly arthouse cinemas, but I'll probably go and see it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched the review of it on the only movie show worth watching here in Australia, At The Movies and they LOVED it. Gave it 4.5 and 5 stars, which is amazing. The reviewers are both easily in their 50's but they are really open to everything, the lady, Margaret, gave Sin City 5 stars for instance. She's also been arrested for screening a movie in public that was refused a classification.

Anyway, they said Rourke definitely deserves a nomination for an Oscar, Evan Rachael Wood is really good and also that the wrestlers in it provide a good support/backdrop for the main story.

I'm actually pretty pumped to see this movie, it really seems like a great human interest story. For those that are interested, they have an interview with the director on their site. At The Movies Website Their review isn't uploaded yet, but should be in a couple of days, which is basically a transcript of their show.