Brooke Shields/Carol Ferris

John Heard/Ace Morgan

Miguel Ferrer/Martian Manhunter-John Jones

Jeremy Sisto/Batman

Phil Morris/Faraday

Kyra Sedgwick/Lois Lane

Kyle MacLachlan/Superman

Lucy Lawless/Wonder Woman

I know its meant to be a different continuity and everything, but I just look at that and think "what's the point?" Seriously, is Lucy Lawless Wonder Woman because her voice acting suits the part, or because she's well-known as Xena?

I'd have to disagree with those who are liking the animation on New Frontier. I think it looks awful. I saw the trailer at WW Chicago and was totally unimpressed. This should be the one where the animation looks exactly like the book but in this case it misses the mark totally.

I'm not sure if this trailer on S/D is the same but if it is: Not excited.

The straight to dvd movie cast:

Neil Patrick Harris/The Flash-Barry Allen

David Boreanaz/Green Lantern-Hal Jordan

John Heard/Ace Morgan

Jeremy Sisto/Batman

Phil Morris/Faraday

Kyra Sedgwick/Lois Lane

Kyle MacLachlan/Superman

I know its meant to be a different continuity and everything, but I just look at that and think "what's the point?" Seriously, is Lucy Lawless Wonder Woman because her voice acting suits the part, or because she's well-known as Xena?

First of all, it's because the voice fits her portrayal in the graphic novel, and same with the rest of the cast. Have you read the comic, because it definitely needs a different cast than regular continuity.

Second, I see no flaws with the animation, and I think Darwyn Cooke knows what suits his own style, and he thinks it's doing its job perfectly. I certainly don't understand the problem.

• 3 months later...

Yup. Really frickin' good. As with the original story its DC buffs that will get the most out of this, since some stuff is too random for the casual fan. Great stuff in my book though.

Also, its very very violent. That initial Hal Jordon scene? That drew a hearty "JESUS CHRIST!".

I liked it. It seems DC is stepping up their game on these dvd movies. There are only a couple things I didn't like:

Superman's voice didn't fit him. Everyone else was spot on.

The super shorts. They were so bad that Superman and Batman looked like they were wearing boxers over their tights.

Why does every movie take place in a different universe? Is continuity a bad thing now?

The shorts are retro, so it worked for me.

As for the continuity thing, why bother building a whole new universe? I'd rather these be their own movies with their own characters, this way the filmmakers can focus on their films and not what other directors are doing in their films. Plus, if this was part of a shared universe, try explaining the modern Superman: Doomsday or Batman: Gotham Knight.

The shorts are retro, so it worked for me.

As for the continuity thing, why bother building a whole new universe? I'd rather these be their own movies with their own characters, this way the filmmakers can focus on their films and not what other directors are doing in their films. Plus, if this was part of a shared universe, try explaining the modern Superman: Doomsday or Batman: Gotham Knight.

They are building a whole new universe with each movie. I'd like to think I knew what was going on from the beginning instead of trying figure out the backstory each time.

Again, I'd rather each movie stood by itself than worry about how Teen Titans: The Judas Contract fits in with New Frontier fits in with Superman: Doomsday. When Spider-Man was released did you wonder, "Hmm... how does this connect to X-Men? And where's Blade factor in?" No, you didn't because you accept that they're each in different continuities. So why are animated movies any different?

Edited by Yoda

Again, I'd rather each movie stood by itself than worry about how Teen Titans: The Judas Contract fits in with New Frontier fits in with Superman: Doomsday. When Spider-Man was released did you wonder, "Hmm... how does this connect to X-Men? And where's Blade factor in?" No, you didn't because you accept that they're each in different continuities. So why are animated movies any different?

Except that those movies can be in the same universe. These obviously can't since they jump around in time. It's not about establishing one universe, it's about not establishing a bunch of different ones.

It's not about establishing one universe, it's about not establishing a bunch of different ones.

:huh:

I'm equally confused. Why bother trying to link all these stories, they are turning classic DC books into animated features, if they weren't connected in the original format then why bother here? You cannot possibly fit The New Frontier into continuity with Doomsday or any of the other animated features but its a great story and one the want to tell. Its also far more confusing to the general public to have to pick and choose what films are in or out of continuity. DC had an established base for a long time and now they want to move beyond that. Its different for marvel since the majority of thier new animated films are modelled on the Ultimate universe and are designed to fit together. This doesn't conflict with anything else they have done recently either, unlike a who bunch of DC flicks all in a collective and yet seperate continuity to the original DCAU.

The straight to dvd movie cast:

Neil Patrick Harris/The Flash-Barry Allen

David Boreanaz/Green Lantern-Hal Jordan

John Heard/Ace Morgan

Jeremy Sisto/Batman

Phil Morris/Faraday

Kyra Sedgwick/Lois Lane

Kyle MacLachlan/Superman

According to Bruce Timm, its the former. They needed someone who was able to project a strong presence/voice, and Lucy Lawless' accent change when she played Xena was ideal to be casted.

• 1 month later...