Battlestar Galactica

The Los Angeles Times now reports that “Galactica’s” fourth and final season, long expected to begin in January, won’t commence until April.

This would finally explain why the series’ 3rd season DVD set won’t be out till April!

Still up in the air is whether or not we’ll have to wait until 2009 to see the series’ final episodes.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34561

I heard on a podcast that they were planning to split the season in half and show half next year, and the other half in 2009. This pissed off a lot of people, including the actors. Basically they were trying to make a fifth season out of it.

The Sci Fi Channel, in partnership with Microsoft, will unspool a special two-hour episode of "Battlestar Galactica" in movie theaters in eight major cities two weeks before it premieres on the network.

The episode, "Razor," kicks off the final 22-hour season of the series. The theater showings, which are free, take place Nov. 12 in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Boston, Dallas and Seattle.

In the Los Angeles area, four theaters will participate, with each screening the episode twice, beginning at 7 p.m., to accommodate the crowds. The theaters are in Palmdale, Huntington Beach, Orange and Ventura.

"Galactica" moviegoers will have to be 17 and older because the series is rated TV-14, and Microsoft's role-playing videogame "Mass Effect," a sponsor of the screenings, is rated mature.

Ten days after the network premiere, Sci Fi parent NBC Universal will release an unrated version of "Razor" on DVD.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797486...yId=14&cs=1

BG on the big screen would be badass, but they don't know what they are going to cause making them free showings. There are going to be way more people there than can get in.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
SCI FI's Emmy and Peabody Award-winning original series "Battlestar Galactica" returns for its fourth original season on Friday, March 28 @ 10pm ET/PT with two back-to-back half-hour specials. The first new episode will premiere the following week, Friday, April 4 @ 10pm ET/PT.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=41880

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I know! It took me a few seconds to realize it, but then I realized "Hey, it's the PC guy from the Mac v. PC commercials!". (Yes, I didn't think of his name right away.)

Also, yay! Another BSG fan!

What did you think about the twists of the last few episodes' plot twist and filling in plot holes?

• 1 month later...

WOW.

I just watched the finale, and... WOW.

Did anyone else pick up on the idea that

this series could very well be a prequel to the classic BSG series? After all, its ending is essentially the same as the classic show's opening:

"There are those who believe that life here began out there, far across the universe, with tribes of humans who may have been the forefathers of the Egyptians, or the Toltecs, or the Mayans. Some believe that there may yet be brothers of man who even now fight to survive somewhere beyond the heavens..."

Could the Twelve Colonies have been rebuilt by other surviving humans, and eventually become the Twelve Colonies from the original show? It seemed to hint at that, with the Cylons leaving for deep space. As far as any rebuilt colonies would know, the Cylons would simply be alien cyborg invaders (as they were in the 1978 series).

I've described the finale to friends as "Return of the King in space." It had

-A gigantic battle-to-end-all-battles, where it seemed as though many if not all the heroes would die

-The Hero's journey ended

-All the heroes made it out alive, without implausibility

-A long series of epilogues that involved most, if not all, of the characters either going to "heaven" or returning to a rural life.

I felt that the first hour was simply amazing, with the most epic battle we've seen on the show. The second hour was really great, but I did feel that some of it felt a little out-of-place. Kara's sudden disappearance was a little heart-wrenching, as she was a character that we all loved and wanted to see happy. I was always cheering for Lee and Kara to get together; I'm still a little upset that they never did. It's a little sad that she ended up as merely a tool for the purposes of the quest, rather than a real person. However, Kara's ending was still adequate, and very interesting. I felt a bit of heartbreak as she vanished, but that was probably the point.

Baltar's ending was one of the best, as he had to go back to the family roots that he'd so vainly tried to run away from. His speech about God being a "force of nature" that was neither good nor evil was kind of problematic, however, as he basically asserted that there is no good or bad. That doesn't make sense because if there is no right or wrong, then there was no right action to take in that situation, and his entire plea to Cavil was pointless. The absence of moral absolutes is a highly flawed philosophy, as it basically says that "it is absolutely not right to say that there is an absolute right or wrong."

The final epilogue was... interesting. I did like the "Galactica=our pre-history" thing, as it matched the original 1978 Galactica's assertion that "brothers of man" had become the forefathers of some of the more advanced races on Earth. That almost makes me wonder if perhaps there's a chronological link between Galactica Classic and the Re-Imagined series.

'm kind of eh about the last hour or so. Not as angry as I was the other night, but I'm still kinda dissatisfied with what happened.

I dislike that it relies exclusively on religion for most of the explanations (Kara just utterly disappearing like that did not sit well with me), and that it so blatantly relies on everyone in humanity thinking that going native is such a zomg awesome idea. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that they've now gone back in time somehow with that jump and now are the ancestors of humanity... which is going to nuclear bomb itself anyways, now? @.@

There's a lot of huge plot holes that have been left hanging by this, and that really disappoints me. And some of the choices that are made just seem to go against the characterization of people up to this point.

The last 90 seconds just annoyed the hell out of me, as it was a soapbox ending. It just kinda cements the soapbox that is the last hour. RON MOORE SAYS TECHNOLOGY BAD, RELIGION GOOD.

Good stuff, though?

-Head!Six and Baltar remind me of Aziraphale and Crowley in Good Omens.

-Adama and Roslin. I firmly believe that he built Stonehenge for her.

-The first hour

-THE MUSIC

I dislike that it relies exclusively on religion for most of the explanations (Kara just utterly disappearing like that did not sit well with me), and that it so blatantly relies on everyone in humanity thinking that going native is such a zomg awesome idea.

Well hey, if I was stuck on a ship with NOTHING GREEN for that long, I'd be down with the idea.

I think the thing with Kara was that she really did die before, and she came back as basically a supernatural entity. They could have done worse and had her disappear with sparkles and fairy-magic. I really like the fact that she was just gone in an instant while no one was looking.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that they've now gone back in time somehow with that jump and now are the ancestors of humanity... which is going to nuclear bomb itself anyways, now? @.@

The planet they landed on is NOT THE FIRST EARTH. They said that a few times, like when Adama told Roslin that they were going to "name" the new planet Earth, and when the "angels" were talking about how this is not the "original" Earth.

The 13th colony is not the one from this finale.

The last 90 seconds just annoyed the hell out of me, as it was a soapbox ending. It just kinda cements the soapbox that is the last hour. RON MOORE SAYS TECHNOLOGY BAD, RELIGION GOOD.

Uhh... I think it was more speaking out against reliance on selfish decadence. Or maybe Ron Moore just watched Terminator 2 a few too many times and is scared to death of the robot apocalypse.

Um... stonehenge was a structure created for lunar measurements by the druids many thousands of years later.

I think the thing with Kara was that she really did die before, and she came back as basically a supernatural entity. They could have done worse and had her disappear with sparkles and fairy-magic. I really like the fact that she was just gone in an instant while no one was looking.

I'm just saying it requires a bit of suspension of disbelief that 100% of humanity was down with the idea.

I personally would've liked a bit more explanation, as they've kind of been building to this with the last few episodes. The "there and gone" thing kinda miffed me, but you're right, it could've been far far worse.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that they've now gone back in time somehow with that jump and now are the ancestors of humanity... which is going to nuclear bomb itself anyways, now? @.@

The planet they landed on is NOT THE FIRST EARTH. They said that a few times, like when Adama told Roslin that they were going to "name" the new planet Earth, and when the "angels" were talking about how this is not the "original" Earth.

The 13th colony is not the one from this finale.

It's entirely possible that I missed it, so thanks for the clarification there.

Um... stonehenge was a structure created for lunar measurements by the druids many thousands of years later.

Let me have my one ridiculous ship theory.

:P

It's entirely possible that I missed it, so thanks for the clarification there.

No problem. :)

Let me have my one ridiculous ship theory.

:P

Hahaha, very well. :)

One thing that I loved but forgot to mention was

how Anders was in the middle of hybrid-speak but tossed in a "lay off the power? You got it" in-between his technical talk. It was a great "gung-ho" moment that showed us that he was still in there somewhere.

Oh, and how cool were the old-school cylons?

One thing that I loved but forgot to mention was

how Anders was in the middle of hybrid-speak but tossed in a "lay off the power? You got it" in-between his technical talk. It was a great "gung-ho" moment that showed us that he was still in there somewhere.

Oh, and how cool were the old-school cylons?

I didn't catch that in the hybrid beat poetry. I need to rewatch this soon and see if it makes more sense the second time through like people are saying it does.

They were quite fun, especially the ones figthing against the modern Centurions marked up in warpaint and led by one of the Sixes.