Green Lantern

JackFetch

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh look, what a surprise. The backlash has already begun all over the web. Like that was unexpected.

It appears that I should always go with my first reaction to seeing the original trailer. Instead I allowed myself to be swayed by the second.

I'm still going to see this tomorrow, I just won't be expecting all that much.

Here's a summary of every negative review I've read so far.

"Who the fuck is the Green Lantern and why is he not Batman? Why do they use colors in this movie? Aren't all comic book movies supposed to be sullen and dark now? Something something Batman something."

"Who the fuck is the Green Lantern and why is he not Batman? Why do they use colors in this movie? Aren't all comic book movies supposed to be sullen and dark now? Something something Batman something."

Exactly. I love The Dark Knight but it fucked up the formula. You have to be dark, you can't make a fun little film. Iron Man 2 wasn't awesome but it was still fun and I don't think the critics would have been so down on it if it weren't for that timing.

I think I'll wait for Ian's (or Mike's) review of this movie before deciding whether or not to see it.

My review won't be coming until Mike gets back from his honeymoon, in that Comic Reel-lief is showcased on Earth-2.net: The Show. I will drop hints about what I thought of the film in this thread when I've watched it (looking like Tuesday, due to my hectic schedule).

I ended up seeing Thor despite not being all that interested, and ended up having a fun time. This though? I don't think I'll be seeing this.

I'll see it, but I've had pretty neutral expectations for it all along. I think it will be an enjoyable popcorn movie. I just refuse to believe that Mark Strong has made a bad movie.

Man, Mark Strong is great and all, but he’s been in some crappy movies. Unless you happen to be a big fan of Babylon A.D.

An exception to that, with only two passing mentions of Batman:

http://movies.nytimes.com/2011/06/17/movies/green-lantern-with-ryan-reynolds-review.html?smid=tw-nytimesmovies&seid=auto

Unless this pulls a Transformers 2 and owns at the box office despite the overwhelmingly negative reviews, we can kiss any hopes of Flash and Wonder-Woman films good bye for the next ten years.

I ended up seeing Thor despite not being all that interested, and ended up having a fun time. This though? I don't think I'll be seeing this.

I'll see it, but I've had pretty neutral expectations for it all along. I think it will be an enjoyable popcorn movie. I just refuse to believe that Mark Strong has made a bad movie.

Man, Mark Strong is great and all, but he’s been in some crappy movies. Unless you happen to be a big fan of Babylon A.D.

He's been in a lot of good stuff too. Very few actors are exclusively in great stuff. Sherlock Holmes was ok, Stardust and Kickass were good and Sunshine was excellent (although his role in it wasn't).

Just got back from seeing it.

Alright, so here's the deal:

I didn't walk away from the theater with a negative experience, thus I can't say it was a bad film. I also didn't walk away with exactly a positive experience, thus it's not a good film.

It's just bland. The presentation of the Green Lantern mythos is 90% accurate to the comics, but the movie doesn't really make you care about anyone in it.

The script is TERRIBLE. It's completely devoid of cleverness and brilliance. I'm 90% sure that all of Hal's funny one-liners were made up by Reynolds on the spot. Speaking of Reynolds, he actually did a decent job of making a boringly-written character somewhat enjoyable to watch.

It's funny; before the movie's release, everyone was sure that Blake Lively would be absolutely terrible, but Martin Campbell's direction would pull everything together. As it turns out, it's the other way around. Blake Lively was actually pretty decent as Carol (containing a good portion of what little emotion the film possessed), and the direction was just atrocious. The focus was all over the place, the plot development was horribly uninteresting, and there wasn't enough focus on the right parts of the movie.

And yet, for all its flaws, the movie's not particularly offensive. It's just not good enough.

Of course, all this is made slightly brighter by the sight of seeing a live-action Hal Jordan in flight, creating constructs and fighting space aliens. There's just no way around the childish glee you get from that.

So, basically, I wouldn't call it a good film, but it was worth seeing just to make the eight-year-old in me happy for a little while.

I'll give the movie a B. Is it a great film? No but it is a fun film. The CGI is pretty good and, in all the big crowd scenes with a bunch of Lanterns, almost all of them looks unique and you do get a sense of how diverse the corps is. While almost all the corps was CGI, it still looked good, even when Ryan Reynolds interacted with them. All the constructs look believable, like a reflection of the person making them. As for the thing with Reynold's eyes, I noticed it but they actually integrated it into the film so it made it much more tolerable.

On the acting: Like Knightwing said, Blake Lively does a pretty good job. She really sells her performance. Mark Strong does a great job as Sinestro in what we get of him. Peter Sarsgaard is fucking creepy. Like, he seriously has a few times that you feel dirty watching him on the screen. It's part of what makes him a great villain, especially how you watch the character physically changes as the film goes on. Now for Ryan Reynolds. It's a decent performance with just enough humor where it's appropriate. I mean, we get a good idea of the Deadpool he could be but we also get a good idea of Hal Jordan. His anxiety is believable and his attraction with Lively does seem real. There were a few eye-rollers with him but he does a great job with what he's given.

As for the bad parts, a lot of the plot is driven by the ring as a Deus Ex Machina. In at least one scene, Hal just knows where to go automatically. There are a couple of scenes that are built directly for the sequel and you can obviously see them. The scenes with the governement espionage are kinda boring and would have felt completely useless if not for Angela Basset as Amanda Waller (BTW, there's an excellent moment where we get her entire backstory in like five seconds.) Honestly though, even her character seems forced in so that she could become DC's Nick Fury character.

So, overall, I'd say go to the film but don't expect Shakespeare. Expect a movie that you might want to have a beer or two at if the theater serves alcohol. It's fun but not going to exercise any brain cells.

That movie was fucking great. It was exactly what I expected it to be.

AMEN.

I saw it at the midnight release last night and came out super-psyched for a sequel (and hopefully it happens). My only major complaint is that they really didn't give Sinestro enough time on screen. Other than that, I would readily go see it again in theatres, and I will definitely be getting the DVD. Visually awesome, funny, fantastic action, and it was mostly true to the mythos.

I agree with the sentiment of "lighten the fuck up and just enjoy it".

Hmm. Can't claim the enthusiasm of Dubs on this one, although I didn't hate it. I just thought it underutilised several characters, fell into several superhero film tropes (this isn't Superman) and the film basically broke it's own back trying to accommodate it's own bloated backstory.

I enjoyed the action, I really did. I liked a lot of the characters, I liked Hal moving towards becoming a hero and I liked Hector Hammond. It just didn't put them all together all that well. Plus the dialogue was below par, it lacked the compatibility that it's Marvel counterparts had when meshing the everyday and the heroic. Even Thor made that work thanks to the humour and the time it put in getting his companions to accept the truth.

I probably won't see this film again for a long long time.

The world as a whole lacks my enthusiasm for many things, like the B-52s and Mello Yello.

It's like we were separated at birth.

Seriously though, all the "It's good, but not great..." buzz has made me ask if I want to pay £12 to see this film, or wait and just rent it in time for Christmas? Right now, I'm probably just going to rent it.

The world as a whole lacks my enthusiasm for many things, like the B-52s and Mello Yello.

The B-52s are the shizzle.

So the traditionally "negative guys" like this, the guy who hasn't been looking forward to the film didn't really like it and Will gives it a B. This just hastens my anticipation - I'll try and see it tomorrow so that I can confirm whether I think K-Dubs is wrong or not. Our history implies we won't agree, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt until I see the film for myself.