Green Lantern

JackFetch

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine it'll more than make its money back in DVD sales, though I'm sure this'll be the last non-Batman or Superman movie we get for a long time.

I think Marvel's proven that you can have a half-dozen bombs (at least critically) but still bounce back.

Warner Bros. has said that DC is essentially their replacement for Harry Potter, and their primary focus as far as films go. This one setback won't stop Flash, Justice League, and the rest.

I really doubt that sequel will get made anytime soon. WB isn't going to say anything negative about it right now, but they are scared. This is going to have a big effect on whether other non Batman and Superman movies get made in the near future. They basically had everything riding on this movie.

I really doubt that sequel will get made anytime soon. WB isn't going to say anything negative about it right now, but they are scared. This is going to have a big effect on whether other non Batman and Superman movies get made in the near future. They basically had everything riding on this movie.

I don't think that's entirely true. That's what a lot of online critics have said, but Warner's basically said almost the opposite. This was a big deal, yes, but it wasn't the single film upon which their entire DC line was depending.

just saw it today. I loved it so much. It wasn't perfect, two of the imperfections being the flames from the flamethrower werent green and that the yellow blast thing that Paralax shot at Hal just got caught in the catapolt instead of going through it since the ring can't affect yellow but other than thay I fucking loved it.

just saw it today. I loved it so much. It wasn't perfect, two of the imperfections being the flames from the flamethrower werent green and that the yellow blast thing that Paralax shot at Hal just got caught in the catapolt instead of going through it since the ring can't affect yellow but other than thay I fucking loved it.

Since in the movie universe Parallax isn't imprisoned inside the power battery, the movie Green Lanterns have no weakness to yellow.

Saw it yesterday also. I went in with low expectations and it was ultimately just above average for me. My main gripes are that Hal learns to master the ring too quickly and that I would have liked to have seen more of him training with Kilowog and Sinestro on Oa. I could see people either unfamiliar with the Green Lantern mythos or, on the other side of the spectrum, Hal Jordan fanboys really hating it.

@warrenellis

Warren Ellis

The cost of the GREEN LANTERN film could have paid for the ten sequels to MACHETE I eagerly, sadly await.

@warrenellis

Warren Ellis

I will grudgingly accept instead Jason Statham as Hal "Chev" Jordan in GREEN LANTERN 2: I KICKED A PLANET UNTIL IT DIED

• 1 month later...
While Green Lantern still has 22 more countries to open up in, the box office results for the comic book adaptation have been less than stellar. Having cost about $200 million to make, not counting marketing costs, the Martin Campbell-directed film has earned $114 million domestically and $40 million internationally, for a worldwide total of just $154 million so far.

According to Warner Bros. film group president Jeff Robinov, however, they are still thinking about moving ahead with a sequel. He tells the Los Angeles Times that "we had a decent opening so we learned there is an audience. To go forward we need to make it a little edgier and darker with more emphasis on action…. And we have to find a way to balance the time the movie spends in space versus on Earth."

The newspaper adds that the studio would like to go with another director for the sequel, though they say that Campbell has an option for the second film. This means that if the studio is going to move forward without him, they would have to work something out.

Robinov added that they have "a solid script" for The Flash and he is also still interested in a Justice League movie.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/168099-warner-bros-president-on-green-lantern-2-and-the-flash

I still haven't seen GL (which I realize makes me part of the problem), but I kinda hope they do go forward with a sequel. Hopefully they can figure out what went wrong and what went well and build on things from there.

According to Warner Bros. film group president Jeff Robinov, however, they are still thinking about moving ahead with a sequel. He tells the Los Angeles Times that "we had a decent opening so we learned there is an audience. To go forward we need to make it a little edgier and darker with more emphasis on action….

Read: make it more Batman-ish.