Green Lantern

JackFetch

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

Finally saw this last night. Not sure what make of it as my only exposure to GL has been through the JLA Animated series. Overall I think it had too many things that it was trying to do. Parralax seemed too big a villain to have for a first movie, especially for a rookie GL. They should have done something similar to the story with Hammond, but being infected with some other alien, so it was more of a local threat but with alien powers.

Also, I felt like too many people died, which is probably an odd thing to say.

There were a thousand problems with the movie. Basically, though, I think it comes down to the fact that it needed a director who really understood Green Lantern and why the Secret Origin story was great, like how Favreau understood Iron Man. Looking at just how many stupid cliches are in the movie, it seems like Martin Campbell approached GL like someone who only understood superhero stories on a surface level, and completely didn't get Hal Jordan or the Green Lantern story.

Do you think that is the difference between a comic and a comic movie? Things that work on the pages don't necessarily translate to the screen.

Jack I just reread your thoughts earlier on the changes in the script and I think that was really apparent. For starters the other GL's were big names who had hardly any screen time at all. It's like WB told them that they needed more Blake Lively, or something else so they just dropped all the Oa things.

I can't see how it cost $200m though, as the effects weren't that great?

Do you think that is the difference between a comic and a comic movie? Things that work on the pages don't necessarily translate to the screen.

I don't think that's quite it. The thing about that scene was that it wasn't fun enough to justify something out-there like that. Also, they hadn't established Hal's sarcastic/comedic character quite right, so the idea that he would make a Hot Wheels track of all things seemed ridiculous.

If you just got a ring that can make anything you think of, and you had to make a split second decision to save lives, you would probably make something similar. People go to what they know. About cutting out the Oa stuff to make more room for Blake Lively, that's what Hollywood always does. They think everything needs a love story or we won't care about the characters.

Finally saw this last night. Not sure what make of it as my only exposure to GL has been through the JLA Animated series. Overall I think it had too many things that it was trying to do. Parralax seemed too big a villain to have for a first movie, especially for a rookie GL. They should have done something similar to the story with Hammond, but being infected with some other alien, so it was more of a local threat but with alien powers.

Also, I felt like too many people died, which is probably an odd thing to say.

Not even that. It should have been Abin dies. Jordan gets ring. Jordan and Sinestro go find out who killed him. Big fight. Simple.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...