Live Action Remake of Akira?

Dread

The bike chases will be pretty cool in their own way though. Probably not as cool as the anime, but then again, Akira pretty much changed the way anime was drawn. Its visuals are tough to match, let alone top.

It probably won't be very good, but will have its moments. Much like the Initial D movie.

• 3 months later...
Warner Bros. will turn anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo's six-volume graphic novel masterwork "Akira" into two live action feature films, the first of which is being fast tracked for release in summer 2009, reports Variety.

WB, which had the "Akira" rights several years ago, only to let them lapse and then recapture them in a spirited bidding battle, is planning a twin-bill that the filmmakers have described as Blade Runner meets City of God.

The studio has closed a seven-figure rights acquisition deal with Kodansha, and has set Ruairi Robinson to direct a script by Gary Whitta (Book of Eli). Andrew Lazar's Mad Chance will produce with Appian Way's Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson.

Each feature will be comprised of three of the books in Otomo's series. The drama takes place in "New Manhattan," a metropolis that was rebuilt after being destroyed 31 years ago.

Robinson, an Irish helmer who has been Oscar-nominated for his short film and commercials work, is making his feature debut.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6823

Warner Bros. will turn anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo's six-volume graphic novel masterwork "Akira" into two live action feature films, the first of which is being fast tracked for release in summer 2009, reports Variety.

WB, which had the "Akira" rights several years ago, only to let them lapse and then recapture them in a spirited bidding battle, is planning a twin-bill that the filmmakers have described as Blade Runner meets City of God.

The studio has closed a seven-figure rights acquisition deal with Kodansha, and has set Ruairi Robinson to direct a script by Gary Whitta (Book of Eli). Andrew Lazar's Mad Chance will produce with Appian Way's Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson.

Each feature will be comprised of three of the books in Otomo's series. The drama takes place in "New Manhattan," a metropolis that was rebuilt after being destroyed 31 years ago.

Robinson, an Irish helmer who has been Oscar-nominated for his short film and commercials work, is making his feature debut.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6823

... WHY?!?

• 1 year later...
GOOD.

Now, hopefully, someone can pick this up and do it right.

Most on here would say doing it right would be not doing it at all.

I always thought that Akira was great until the motorcycle stuff ended. It was just too off the wall after that. The rest of the film is expanding body parts, violent giant teddy bears, and back and forth screaming "Kaneda"/"Tetsuo"

It's a mess.

I don't know if I'd say they're "vastly" different. I mean, naturally many characters who don't get a lot of screen time in the film are much more well-rounded in print, and Akira himself actually means something in the manga, but the basic plot is pretty close. At least, as far as I remember. It's been a really long time since I sat down with it in book form.

Dread, the scenes after the motorcycle bits require a lot of repeat viewings to really grasp. If it wasn't your cup of tea the first time though, I can understand if you aren't all that moved to work your way through it again. The pacing is very different and the storyline doesn't make a lot of sense unless you've really taken some time to think about it, but once you do, it's incredibly rewarding. I didn't know what to think after my first viewing in the mid '90s on VHS (with the Ninja Turtles voice talent!), but over the years since then it's become one of my all-time favorites. Still don't really get the ending though.

And the soundtrack, btw, is some phenomenal shit.

I always thought that Akira was great until the motorcycle stuff ended. It was just too off the wall after that. The rest of the film is expanding body parts, violent giant teddy bears, and back and forth screaming "Kaneda"/"Tetsuo"

It's a mess.

This. Never understood the love that film gets. Its significant because of when it was not what it was.

• 2 months later...
We haven't heard much about the live-action Akira movie since February of 2008 (actually, back then it was reported that two films were being made), but now Collider says that Warner Bros. Pictures is still developing the movie and has hired screenwriters Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby to pen the script. The duo co-wrote the first Iron Man movie and Children of Men.

Akira is based on anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo's six-volume graphic novel masterwork. The film is said to take place in "New Manhattan," a metropolis that was rebuilt after being destroyed 31 years ago. The famous motorcycle will also definitely be a part of the film.

The movie could possibly go into production in 2010.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=58917