C'Mon Mike, Give Fables Another Shot

Koete

When you know everything there is to know about a storyline after reading the first issue in said storyline, that speaks volumes about the writing. Yes, I've heard the series gets better with "Animal Farm," but that doesn't negate the fact that the writing in the first arc was as transparent as a wet tissue and as bland as unsalted crackers.

Comics cost too damn much to give a series a prolonged trial, and I gave Fables two shots: first in issue format, then in trade format. Both times the opening story did nothing to hook me. In fact, it did the opposite; it put me off from not only the series, but also Bill Willingham's writing.

That said, I would be willing to give Fables another shot if someone bought me a trade. I simply refuse to spend more of my money on that series.

Comics cost too damn much to give a series a prolonged trial, and I gave Fables two shots: first in issue format, then in trade format. Both times the opening story did nothing to hook me. In fact, it did the opposite; it put me off from not only the series, but also Bill Willingham's writing.

That said, I would be willing to give Fables another shot if someone bought me a trade. I simply refuse to spend more of my money on that series.

Too true goddammit! I think I was too blinded by a collector's mentality to see that the story had been treading water since the third arc started and did not get any better (unless you talk to CGS who worship at the feet of Bill Willingham). Hell, if I knew you wanted to try it for free I'd have brought the whole damn run to Chicago for ya!

But the lure of selling the first 50-odd issues us very strong.

• 7 months later...