Episode 16

RSS

Pre-Episode Banter

Video-game stuff is lost on me; haven't kept up with the next-gen systems at all, though I'm hoping for a Wii this Christmas.

Can't wait for 'Teen Titans' season 4 (haven't started collecting 'The Batman', not sure if I want to); have the first three seasons, and season 4 is when I stopped watching the show (not because I found it bad, simply because of being too busy), so I can't wait. The episode I'm mainly looking forward to is the Control Freak episode with all the TV parodies.

Apparently the fifth season is pretty bad, simply because it tried to be too serious and lost a lot of the humor and creative facial expressions; I'm still getting it for the fight scenes.

The fourth 'The Batman' season is apparently the best they've done so far, probably the one worth getting.

E-Mails

Have to continue to side with Mike on 'Trial'.

There's supposed to be a site? Didn't know that. If it gets launched, can't wait.

Bah, I like 'The Killing Joke', it makes an awesome point that shouldn't be disregarded simply because of preferred portrayals of the character. And I like Batman laughing; it makes everything so surreal and it goes well with the abrupt ending, and I'm not even sure how to interpret it, but that it's a bit ambiguous and that each interpretation for me is pretty cool, I like it.

Anyway, yeah 'Mystery of the Batwoman' isn't that good; loses WAY too much of the dark edge and the animation is bleh.

The TNBA design of Croc is garbage. The B:TAS design is infinitely better.

Yes, 'A Bullet For Bullock' IS the best score.

Whoever's defending 'Trial' is dead wrong. It wasn't a gradual change, it was a sudden change that made no sense and was incredibly forced. The review of mine I quote in the other episode refutes it perfectly.

GUYS, IT WAS ME WHO WROTE IT!!! YA GOTTA REMEMBER!!!

Oh well.

He's right about 'House and Garden'. She DID want a family. It was stated in the episode that she was using the money to fund her plant babies. I'm POSITIVE. And yeah, I know that she never loved her husband, but the point was that she wanted children: she created the plant babies for the purpose of raising children in her own twisted way. And your take on it isn't even bad at all anyway.

Sorry I never wrote an E-mail or checked back at the episode; I may do it later. Just a case of laziness.

Yeah, my parents wouldn't approve of swearing, so I just wear headphones. I personally don't swear (except for maybe very rare occasions; I may have said bitch in my review of 'Terror in the Sky' though), but I don't mind it.

Episodes

The Terrible Trio- Crap. Blatant crap. The message is forced and cliched, Bruce uses a gun, and the entire rant on 'they're worse than the Joker, at least he has an excuse' would NEVER happen.

Still isn't the worst 'B:TAS' episode; 'Cat Scratch Fever' is miles below it by far.

And the animation is HORRRRRIBBLLLE. Even the direction is terrible (ha); the scene where Robin is telling Batman to go after them at the beginning has literally three different camera angles on Robin over the course of like two seconds. It's glaring and doesn't even take a critical eye to notice. And there's so many off-model shots. I think this is the same Jade Studios that did four of the final S:TAS episodes, and they're always terrible.

And look at that, y'all go on to talk about how bad it is! It's AWFUL!

I knew you guys were going to massacre that awful line about the Joker; I knew it would be one of your biggest gripes.

I'm pretty sure it was 'Joker's Wild' that you thought he was psychic. Just knowing that Kaiser was creating a plan that Joker would blow it up and get all the insurance; you thought it was stupid that he just guessed that.

Harlequinade- Awesome awesome episode. It's funny, going for the style of an old romantic comedy farce and it works oh so well. The animation is great and as light-hearted as it is, Batman is always in perfect dark form. And the ending is simultaneously hilarious and a very good look into the relationship of Harley and the Joker.

Come on Mike, you're seeming so apathetic. The whole episode is classic Joker material. And how can you not like the Batman/Harley interactions? It's so great.

The police/auction thing seems more nitpickish than anything, no offense. When the police show up at the site, the last thing I'm thinking of is why they were there, it just doesn't seem important, much less a 'major issue'.

Batman letting Harley get away is justifiable for me; it's taking liberties for the sake of the comedy. And in my mind, Harley is only dangerous or bent on murder when she's with the Joker; he exploits her, but when she's away from her, she isn't going to try anything. 'Harley's Holiday' is a perfect example of her being away from the Joker and consequently reaching a state of reform. Here, Batman probably understands this or knows that she wouldn't try anything with him right there nearby. I don't know, I buy it fine.

I'm almost positive that there was an explanation for the Mayor Hill thing, maybe I'll go back to the episode. Oh, and I see Joker's waiting around as typical Joker fun. He can't just pull of a plan, he has to relish it, wait and take pleasure in what he's about to accomplish. That's my explanation.

At least you love that awesome ending.

Time Out of Joint- Decent. Sort of slow-paced. It's definitely artistically striking at points, but meh; the animation is pretty average (note that animation and visuals aren't necessarily the same; I find the blue tint and some of the visual concepts relating to the time premise awesome, and a lot of the effects, but the actual fluidity in the regular animation was only okay given how great this season was) and it's all kind of forgettable.

So I'd say it's just average.

Didn't notice the 'See No Evil' reference.

Ahhh, I just saw 'Tabula Rasa' but I can't for the life of me remember the house from 'Time Out of Joint'. I doubt it though, because the one in 'Rasa' was surrounded by a river and had a specific architectural style and wasn't in a remote area. This one was. I do think the one in 'Speed Demons' is probably similar.

James is right about the new intro. I actually think that 'Catwalk' is the only episode from here to the end that DOESN'T have Robin. He' s also in 'Lock-Up', 'Harley's Holiday', 'Deep Freeze', etc.

I like the new intro for the revised theme, which sounds, to me, a bit cooler because it's extended to a slower, lighter (but not in a way that denotes the dark edge of the show), just, I don't know, more dramatic overall.

I thought that way about Clock King playing with time. I mean, I guess I feel that giving him a time machine thing was a bit of a cliched thing to do with a time-themed character, when the first episode gave him a bit of an edge as being really in-tune with time's precision and that cool angle. I do like James' point about him controlling time.

Oh yeah, I also remember that something Batman said about how fast time was moving not matching at all with light and day going by constantly.

Yeah, that's what I always wondered about the Flash. If he could use his speed to give him the momentum to make him that powerful, then he could be an easy match for Superman (especially given he's faster, although Superman is strong without being fast, so if he used any speed, that'd be a huge increase, so...yeah I'll stop).

I get your complaint of the 'society isn't ready..'; seems like a cliche.

Catwalk- The only GOOD Catwoman episode. Explores the Selina/Catwoman duality better than any other episode, and the the Batman/Catwoman relationship isn't nearly as horribly overt as in 'The Cat and the Claw'. And the animation is great, much better than any Catwoman episode before this.

An interesting review I read sees it as a metaphor for marriage vs sex, Batman representing a figure of authority, wanting a relationship of commitment who breaks no rules, and Catwoman being wild and all about fun, so that caused me to think about it on a neat level.

I think you're getting Veronica confused with the other woman in 'The Terrible Trio'; maybe it was just a mention. But yeah, she definitely became a more prominent character this season.

I think it's that the priceless animal will never be able to be recovered, whereas Catwoman will always be out there for him to apprehend.

I like that they downplay it; it was a tad ridiculous and overly blatant in 'The Cat and the Claw'.

Oh yeah, this episode does continue the cliche of Scarface getting crushed up at the end of EVERY Ventriloquist episode.

But the first Catwoman episode is a bad episode, it has so much cheesiness in the drama, and it was so blatantly played out and just awful. Selina's coldness shows continuity in the fact that Batman and Catwoman has been constantly at odds since their first relationship episodes.

Bane- meh; the animation I felt could have been better, and the story is only okay. That's about it.

Bane's actually one of my least favorite villains, given that he lacks the awesome psychological depth of the others. And the voice acting on him makes him feel lame; Henry Silva did much better in TNBA.

I really don't want a movie though, too much.

I don't think he fits with Nolan's style AT ALL.

Do agree about the Croc scene; probably the best moment in the episode. Along with the climax with the venom overload.

My favorite action cue was Batman grappling him with that massive gun.

Sorry, but I think Silva did FAR better in TNBA.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! It’s the same person; he just changed his voice a WHOLE lot. The actor only changes in ‘Mystery of the Batwoman’.

Scores

The Terrible Trio: You- 0 / Me- 1

Harlequinade: You- 7 and 6 / Me- 9

Time Out of Joint: You- 7.5 and 5 / Me- 6.5

Catwalk- You- 5 and 5 / Me- 8

Bane- You- 7.5 and 7 / Me- 7

After next episode, do you think could just finish off the last six episodes of the series in a single show, even though you usually do five? An extra episode for the final WFP of 'B:TAS'.

Great job as usual. I'll be back next time of course.

After next episode, do you think could just finish off the last six episodes of the series in a single show, even though you usually do five? An extra episode for the final WFP of 'B:TAS'.

Actually, there's no need for that, because there are only 10 episodes left. Episode 17 will cover "Baby Doll," "The Lion and the Unicorn," "Showdown," "Riddler's Reform" and "Second Chance." Episode 18 will then finish off the series with "Harley's Holiday," "Lock-Up," "Make 'Em Laugh," "Deep Freeze" and "Batgirl Returns." In 19 w'll discuss the direct-to-video BTAS movie Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero. And then episode 20 will be our look back on BTAS.

Don't! Viewing TTT will shave at least a decade off your life!

Wow. I wonder how many years an episode of Captain Planet takes off.

Instant death. James was only saved by his undying rage.

Pretty much. I exist purely as an entity of neverending sarcasm now.

I'd say without a shadow of a doubt in Trial the rogues got desent amount of screentime.

Pre-Episode Banter

Video-game stuff is lost on me; haven't kept up with the next-gen systems at all, though I'm hoping for a Wii this Christmas.

Can't wait for 'Teen Titans' season 4 (haven't started collecting 'The Batman', not sure if I want to); have the first three seasons, and season 4 is when I stopped watching the show (not because I found it bad, simply because of being too busy), so I can't wait. The episode I'm mainly looking forward to is the Control Freak episode with all the TV parodies.

Apparently the fifth season is pretty bad, simply because it tried to be too serious and lost a lot of the humor and creative facial expressions; I'm still getting it for the fight scenes.

The fourth 'The Batman' season is apparently the best they've done so far, probably the one worth getting.

E-Mails

Have to continue to side with Mike on 'Trial'.

There's supposed to be a site? Didn't know that. If it gets launched, can't wait.

Bah, I like 'The Killing Joke', it makes an awesome point that shouldn't be disregarded simply because of preferred portrayals of the character. And I like Batman laughing; it makes everything so surreal and it goes well with the abrupt ending, and I'm not even sure how to interpret it, but that it's a bit ambiguous and that each interpretation for me is pretty cool, I like it.

Anyway, yeah 'Mystery of the Batwoman' isn't that good; loses WAY too much of the dark edge and the animation is bleh.

The TNBA design of Croc is garbage. The B:TAS design is infinitely better.

Yes, 'A Bullet For Bullock' IS the best score.

Whoever's defending 'Trial' is dead wrong. It wasn't a gradual change, it was a sudden change that made no sense and was incredibly forced. The review of mine I quote in the other episode refutes it perfectly.

GUYS, IT WAS ME WHO WROTE IT!!! YA GOTTA REMEMBER!!!

Oh well.

He's right about 'House and Garden'. She DID want a family. It was stated in the episode that she was using the money to fund her plant babies. I'm POSITIVE. And yeah, I know that she never loved her husband, but the point was that she wanted children: she created the plant babies for the purpose of raising children in her own twisted way. And your take on it isn't even bad at all anyway.

Sorry I never wrote an E-mail or checked back at the episode; I may do it later. Just a case of laziness.

Yeah, my parents wouldn't approve of swearing, so I just wear headphones. I personally don't swear (except for maybe very rare occasions; I may have said bitch in my review of 'Terror in the Sky' though), but I don't mind it.

Episodes

The Terrible Trio- Crap. Blatant crap. The message is forced and cliched, Bruce uses a gun, and the entire rant on 'they're worse than the Joker, at least he has an excuse' would NEVER happen.

Still isn't the worst 'B:TAS' episode; 'Cat Scratch Fever' is miles below it by far.

And the animation is HORRRRRIBBLLLE. Even the direction is terrible (ha); the scene where Robin is telling Batman to go after them at the beginning has literally three different camera angles on Robin over the course of like two seconds. It's glaring and doesn't even take a critical eye to notice. And there's so many off-model shots. I think this is the same Jade Studios that did four of the final S:TAS episodes, and they're always terrible.

And look at that, y'all go on to talk about how bad it is! It's AWFUL!

I knew you guys were going to massacre that awful line about the Joker; I knew it would be one of your biggest gripes.

I'm pretty sure it was 'Joker's Wild' that you thought he was psychic. Just knowing that Kaiser was creating a plan that Joker would blow it up and get all the insurance; you thought it was stupid that he just guessed that.

Harlequinade- Awesome awesome episode. It's funny, going for the style of an old romantic comedy farce and it works oh so well. The animation is great and as light-hearted as it is, Batman is always in perfect dark form. And the ending is simultaneously hilarious and a very good look into the relationship of Harley and the Joker.

Come on Mike, you're seeming so apathetic. The whole episode is classic Joker material. And how can you not like the Batman/Harley interactions? It's so great.

The police/auction thing seems more nitpickish than anything, no offense. When the police show up at the site, the last thing I'm thinking of is why they were there, it just doesn't seem important, much less a 'major issue'.

Batman letting Harley get away is justifiable for me; it's taking liberties for the sake of the comedy. And in my mind, Harley is only dangerous or bent on murder when she's with the Joker; he exploits her, but when she's away from her, she isn't going to try anything. 'Harley's Holiday' is a perfect example of her being away from the Joker and consequently reaching a state of reform. Here, Batman probably understands this or knows that she wouldn't try anything with him right there nearby. I don't know, I buy it fine.

I'm almost positive that there was an explanation for the Mayor Hill thing, maybe I'll go back to the episode. Oh, and I see Joker's waiting around as typical Joker fun. He can't just pull of a plan, he has to relish it, wait and take pleasure in what he's about to accomplish. That's my explanation.

At least you love that awesome ending.

Time Out of Joint- Decent. Sort of slow-paced. It's definitely artistically striking at points, but meh; the animation is pretty average (note that animation and visuals aren't necessarily the same; I find the blue tint and some of the visual concepts relating to the time premise awesome, and a lot of the effects, but the actual fluidity in the regular animation was only okay given how great this season was) and it's all kind of forgettable.

So I'd say it's just average.

Didn't notice the 'See No Evil' reference.

Ahhh, I just saw 'Tabula Rasa' but I can't for the life of me remember the house from 'Time Out of Joint'. I doubt it though, because the one in 'Rasa' was surrounded by a river and had a specific architectural style and wasn't in a remote area. This one was. I do think the one in 'Speed Demons' is probably similar.

James is right about the new intro. I actually think that 'Catwalk' is the only episode from here to the end that DOESN'T have Robin. He' s also in 'Lock-Up', 'Harley's Holiday', 'Deep Freeze', etc.

I like the new intro for the revised theme, which sounds, to me, a bit cooler because it's extended to a slower, lighter (but not in a way that denotes the dark edge of the show), just, I don't know, more dramatic overall.

I thought that way about Clock King playing with time. I mean, I guess I feel that giving him a time machine thing was a bit of a cliched thing to do with a time-themed character, when the first episode gave him a bit of an edge as being really in-tune with time's precision and that cool angle. I do like James' point about him controlling time.

Oh yeah, I also remember that something Batman said about how fast time was moving not matching at all with light and day going by constantly.

Yeah, that's what I always wondered about the Flash. If he could use his speed to give him the momentum to make him that powerful, then he could be an easy match for Superman (especially given he's faster, although Superman is strong without being fast, so if he used any speed, that'd be a huge increase, so...yeah I'll stop).

I get your complaint of the 'society isn't ready..'; seems like a cliche.

Catwalk- The only GOOD Catwoman episode. Explores the Selina/Catwoman duality better than any other episode, and the the Batman/Catwoman relationship isn't nearly as horribly overt as in 'The Cat and the Claw'. And the animation is great, much better than any Catwoman episode before this.

An interesting review I read sees it as a metaphor for marriage vs sex, Batman representing a figure of authority, wanting a relationship of commitment who breaks no rules, and Catwoman being wild and all about fun, so that caused me to think about it on a neat level.

I think you're getting Veronica confused with the other woman in 'The Terrible Trio'; maybe it was just a mention. But yeah, she definitely became a more prominent character this season.

I think it's that the priceless animal will never be able to be recovered, whereas Catwoman will always be out there for him to apprehend.

I like that they downplay it; it was a tad ridiculous and overly blatant in 'The Cat and the Claw'.

Oh yeah, this episode does continue the cliche of Scarface getting crushed up at the end of EVERY Ventriloquist episode.

But the first Catwoman episode is a bad episode, it has so much cheesiness in the drama, and it was so blatantly played out and just awful. Selina's coldness shows continuity in the fact that Batman and Catwoman has been constantly at odds since their first relationship episodes.

Bane- meh; the animation I felt could have been better, and the story is only okay. That's about it.

Bane's actually one of my least favorite villains, given that he lacks the awesome psychological depth of the others. And the voice acting on him makes him feel lame; Henry Silva did much better in TNBA.

I really don't want a movie though, too much.

I don't think he fits with Nolan's style AT ALL.

Do agree about the Croc scene; probably the best moment in the episode. Along with the climax with the venom overload.

My favorite action cue was Batman grappling him with that massive gun.

Sorry, but I think Silva did FAR better in TNBA.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! It’s the same person; he just changed his voice a WHOLE lot. The actor only changes in ‘Mystery of the Batwoman’.

Scores

The Terrible Trio: You- 0 / Me- 1

Harlequinade: You- 7 and 6 / Me- 9

Time Out of Joint: You- 7.5 and 5 / Me- 6.5

Catwalk- You- 5 and 5 / Me- 8

Bane- You- 7.5 and 7 / Me- 7

Great job as usual. I'll be back next time of course.

Agreed on Catwalk and House and Garden, and yes Bane definitely looked and sounded much better in TNBA.

Oh Mike and James, the line that Bane says to Robin after he knocks him out is "You have courage for one so small."

• 3 weeks later...

Just like the last one I will be reviewing the episodes while watching them and than responding to comments made by the podcast.

The Terrible Trio, uggh, I will review this, seeing as you took the time too. Watching this I felt like a gun was being pointed at my head. What a waste of 22 minutes. . Also the reasoning behind the trio's robberies is because they were bored, come on! That has got to be the laziest reason a writer has come up with. Not too mention, how we never see Bruce with these guys ever and suddenly for the convience of the episode he's good enough friends with them to visit the father of one of them in the hospital. This should have been called The Terrible Episode. 0 out of 10

Harlenquinade, BATGIRL, eat your heart out! Excellent episode, definately one of my favorites. I can remember sitting in my home watching the FOX network and seeing the TV Spots for it. And than the joy of finally seeing it. The animation was spot on, the storyline, was a great way to show how the character of Harley can carry and entire episode. We even get more of a backstory on Harley Quinn. I especially love the 30's style musical number. 8 out of 10

Time Out Of the Joint, ok, I could swear that this is the first episode to feature the title card The Adventures of Batman & Robin, which isn't really a change from the style of the series, this is just a change to coincide with the theatrical release of Batman Forever. I always though that Temple Fuget kind of looked like Mr Slugworth from the film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory(with Gene Wilder as the title character). Decent episode, but since I'm not a comic book guy, can anyone tell me if this character seems to have a similar theme as Tempus from Lois and Clark(I dn't know if he's a real comic book villain), bot are obsessed with time, but Tempus is a time traveler and Temple is a clock/time wizard. Anyway, I give this 6 out of 10

Catwalk, ok for one thing we once again get Bruce Wayne dating Veronica Vreeland again, is it me or is Gotham scarce when it comes to date material for Bruce. Also we get another episode where a character is trying to reform and Veronica is present in the episode. I actually enjoyed this episode somewhat. I'm not really a big fan of the Catwoman episodes, but it works and features Scarface. I also love how Batman seems so smitten, that you almost forget he knows the truth and belive that he's buying into it. I think by Batman choosing to save a extinct stuffed animal over arresting Selena, that as his way of letting her go. 6 out of 10.

Bane, Wow, how long has it been since Rupert Thorn has been featured in an episode? Grant it, this is the debut of Bane, the plot is driven by Thorn hiring Bane for a job. I must say that I never read the comic where Bane breaks Batman's back, but that would be an awesome story to put to film(at least from what I've heard). I loved seeing the fight between Candace and Robin, classic. But the thrill was the fight between Batman and Bane, sure it wasn't that much different from other fights, but the look of Bane when he doses up was awesome, than when he OD's is creepy as hell. He has the strength of Croc and Rhino(of Scarface's gang)and the brains to match it. 7 OUT OF 10.

Now I will listen to this Podcast episode:

My opinion on the House and Garden arguement is that, each of the kids, grow to look like Dr Carlyle when they become adults, so it's more convient to just keep reproducing the kids off of his DNA, so when Carlyle becomes the monster, she can take one of the grown kids as the husband. If she made clones of herself, than sooner or later the Carlyle clone will disappear.

The Terrible Trio, completely agree on your statement of how terrible this episode is. Like I said in my opinion above. Bruce Wayne's appearance with these characters are a stories convenience. The license plates of the trio was missing when they ran off from the father's plaza, which in itself should have made it so they get pulled over by the cops. Yes, the line about them being worse than the Joker, always urked me.

Harlenquinade, there is just nothing to debate about. You seem to love it as much as me.

Time Out of the Joint, doesn't seem like Mayor Hill is a magnet for being a taget to be blown up. In "Be A Clown, the Joker sets up a birthday cake with a bomb and in the previous episode Harlenquinade and now here. Yes, only episodes featuring Robin has the new title card.

Catwalk, Well I have to say that Selena is the way she is in this episode, because she feels trapped in a cage, she feels like she is being forced to be a good girl, not from her own decision, so she's going through her own form of depression and depression will make you be an ass to everyone, even those who don't deserve it. Well not much more to debate here it seems, I just enjoyed this episode more than usual Catwoman episodes.

Bane, not much here either, I do love this episode