Damn it, I liked it!

Missy

Name those things (movies, comic books, video games, athletes, foods, whatever) that you like despite the fact that most other people don't.

For me, right at the top of the list is the shot-for-shot remake of Psycho. Was it as suspenseful? No. Was it better than the original? No. Was it as well-acted? No, but it was still a neat tribute / experiment.

Next is Birth, the Nicole Kidman film about a woman who falls in love with a boy claiming to be the reincarnation of her dead husband. In truth, I don't know if this flew under the radar or if people generally don't like it. Either way, it's an excellent, edgy film.

Y'all know how I feel about Ultraviolet. :D

I'll think of more later.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silent Hill, the movie. HI MIKE!

House of 1000 Corpses

Devil's Rejects

I could be here all day on movies alone.

Numerous video games that will be covered in a column in the very near future.

House of M might have been a poor man's Age of Apocalypse, but it was still awesome.

The eagle Rob Liefeld drew on Captain America's forehead was better than the classic A.

The Spaghetti Incident is a damn good punk album.

I eat pizza without sauce. Most people can't stand (or understand) that.

House of M might have been a poor man's Age of Apocalypse, but it was still awesome.

Not even a poor man's AoA...

The Spaghetti Incident is a damn good punk album.

A damn good album period. They delivered the covers far more convincingly than most of the originals...except Attitude. I looooove I Don't Care About You. Worst part of that album is the terrible Charles Manson cover/secret song. Not because of Charles Manson, because it sucks.

Count me among "most people" :)

The pizza you are privy to because of geographical location? You don't know how good you have it, sir!

I liked The Punisher movie even though it seems everyone I talk to hates it.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie. Also, Smokin' Aces.

People didn't like those?

Also I'll never understand people who now hate on Dimmu Borgir just because their sound has gotten more of a symphony/orchestra ring to it in the last 6 years. I'll go so far as to say In Sorte Diaboli is my vote for best metal album of 2007.

The pizza you are privy to because of geographical location? You don't know how good you have it, sir!

Trust me, I'd love to be able to eat real Chicago pizza, but red sauce makes me sick. :( Do I eat it from time to time? Yes, but usually only when guests are visiting and want to try Chicago-style pizza... as you know.

Metallica's Load, Reload and St. Anger are all good albums (St. Anger the least good of the lot but a subpar Metallica album is still better than most excellent metal albums).

So wait…

Metallica’s St Anger is better than most excellent metal albums? I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to say.

Trust me, I'd love to be able to eat real Chicago pizza, but red sauce makes me sick. :( Do I eat it from time to time? Yes, but usually only when guests are visiting and want to try Chicago-style pizza... as you know.

Have you tried white sauce pizza?

Metallica's Load, Reload and St. Anger are all good albums (St. Anger the least good of the lot but a subpar Metallica album is still better than most excellent metal albums).

So wait…

Metallica’s St Anger is better than most excellent metal albums? I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to say.

You heard right. Metal is treading water. Full of cookie monsters and twelve year olds with pretend-angst.

St. Anger is raw. So raw it's shocking. It's Metallica's worst album but I can listen to it more than 95% of the crap that's being called metal nowadays. That said, it has better listenability than Kill 'Em All, to me. Great album, that KEA, but not so enduring.

Metallica's Load, Reload and St. Anger are all good albums

Reload is a very underrated album. (It's actually the album that originally got me listening to Metallica.) I'm not a big fan of St. Anger anymore, but I'll still listen to "Frantic" and "Shoot Me Again" anytime.

I rarely listen to new music, instead I have a habit of looking for music that I’ve missed over the past couple of decades, so I can’t really make a comment on whether or not current metal is treading water. I have a pretty strong dislike for cookie monster vocals in general, so no disagreement there.

Having said that though, I think I could easily name 20 or more metal albums, not made by Metallica, that destroy St. Anger.

Metallica's Load, Reload and St. Anger are all good albums

Reload is a very underrated album. (It's actually the album that originally got me listening to Metallica.) I'm not a big fan of St. Anger anymore, but I'll still listen to "Frantic" and "Shoot Me Again" anytime.

The riff during "Ominous I'm in us" in Some Kind of Monster might be their best riff since the masters of Puppets album. Simple yet so very damn effective.

I agree that alot of mainstream/radio metal has been treading water for years, but I think there is hope in alot of the "indy" metal scene. Dimmu Borgir, who is probably my favorite metal band to come out of the 90's, has had so much success in Europe that American media had to start covering them. America has come along way from the days of awarding Jethro Tull a metal grammy, but unfourtunately alot of great and innovative metal goes uncovered due to a good outlet.

- Supergirl's long sleeves add a bit of personality to a classic costume.

- Much like I eat pizza without sauce, I also prefer baked mostaccioli without sauce.

- Tofu and seitan are tasty, damn it!

- Sure, Super Mario Bros. 2 technically isn't a Mario game, but it's fun.

- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link is also fun.