Favorite Event

Missy

Fatal Attractions was the first X-event (event?) I ever got into, so that holds a special place in my heart. As does The Phalanx Covenant, if only because it introduced Generation X. However, the winner is very easily AoA. Not only did it feel like a cohesive world with a rich history, but the character designs were fresh, the reversed roles were surprising, every book having been "canceled" / rebooted begged so many questions and, best of all, it meant something. Characters like Dark Beast and X-Man were surprise crossover hits (X-Man received his own comic, while Dark Beast is still a presence in the X-universe), Bishop gained a larger following afterwards, as did Sabretooth.

My only concern with AoA is that time won't do it justice. I've been hesitant to reread it because I don't want my perception of the storyline changed by modern sensibilities. Even if it does suck nowadays, it kicked all sorts of ass back then, and that's what counts.

Earth X, and it's subsequent sequels.

I tend to love alternate reality stories if only because people can die and actually stay dead. Characters can develop without the need to take eight steps backward the next month, and when the arc of the story is over, it's over.

When I say event, I mean a mega-crossover such as AoA, Crisis on Infinite Earths, House of M, Knightfall, Civil War, etc. Tower of Bable, The Long Halloween and even the Earth X saga were all self-contained stories.

IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!

Tough call. I started reading comics about the time tha the UK editions were publishing some AOA. I glemaed enough from it that I understood what was going ton, although the only character I really got to know was Wolverine. I can't vote for it because I didn't read enough.

Call me crazy, but I'm going to say No Man's Land. Its a great premise and it basically built the bat family up into the cohesive unit they were until War Games. It had some superb standalone issues from a variety of characters, it never turned its focus too wide to deal with the problems of the individuals involved. It stuck around for a long time, something that a lot of concept event like House of M don't do. On top of all that all the fallout made sense and lead into further stories in the DCU, like Luther becoming president, Renee Montya becoming significant and the death of Sarah Essen.

I'm not going to claim its a masterpiece but its quite solid and makes good use of a quite a few characters that are personal favorites of mine. I can't vote for anything else because all the rest of the events are so massively flawed. There was no big Marvel or DC event since I started reading that didn't have significant negative fallout because they stifled the creative flow of great books or killed random characters or, like anything with the title "infinite", was just mindbogglingly over-complicated.

WWH lost too much momentum but the build and concept were very solid. House of M was a great alternate reality story but too much about it made little sense. Civil war was totally packed with logical inconsistancies and basic errors in editorial oversight. Everyone reading wound up supporting cap regardless even though his stance made little sense and his opposition to the act was pathetically ineffective.

DC comics can't do big events and often their mini-events are pretty damn bad (Amazons Attack actually made me abandon Teen Titans AND Wonder Woman and every other book with a tie to that series that I'd been reading). There are parts of the Sinerstro War that I've liked but its nothing amazing.

We'll see what the Skrull was will bring to the table. I must say they are doing well so far because I just saw my first live Skrull and it actually was a HOLY SHIT! moment.

EDIT: Of course if we are talking strictly big mega company-wide events then its House of M, but grudgingly.

DC comics can't do big events and often their mini-events are pretty damn bad (Amazons Attack actually made me abandon Teen Titans AND Wonder Woman and every other book with a tie to that series that I'd been reading). There are parts of the Sinerstro War that I've liked but its nothing amazing.

thats the same reason why I dropped Teen Titians.

I liked Avengers Disassembled quite a lot, I just wish there had been more build up to it rather than Bendis took over and broke the team up so he rebuild the team in his vision, they had an interesting character in the new Captain Britian and were going in the direction of a Hawkeye Wasp romance and a Cap Wanda romance and then it was all dropped so Bendis could blow up Ant Man and co.

Disassembled was an interesting event that really started Marvels current giant calender event trend. Of course the reasoning behind it was to turn the Avengers into the Marvel Justice League but at least the story itself was strong and I can't complain because pretty much everything Bendis has done with the Avengers team since has been pretty cool.

Please start TT again with 50. You're missing out. McKeever is capturing the quality and vibrance Johns hasn't had since they got past the Titans of Tomorrow storyline. I wanted to quit with all that AA stuff too but I knew it was going to be short...

I've said before, Sinestro Corps War is the best superhero story of the year (if we don't count First Born or Atomic Robo as a superhero story)

I liked No Man's Land quite a bit too, Stavros.

I'm also in the minority that really dug Avengers Disassembled / House of M. It took a lot of risks with established characters and that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but I think it ultimately paid off.

I enjoyed No Man's Land until I realized I was dumping tons of cash into a bunch of books that didn't matter. I think I might have been the only person in the world who bought the first couple Azrael issue of NML. The problem with Bat-crossovers is that they don't go anywhere. The Resurrection of R'as al Ghul is going well though.

I liked Avengers Disassembled quite a lot, I just wish there had been more build up to it rather than Bendis took over and broke the team up so he rebuild the team in his vision, they had an interesting character in the new Captain Britian and were going in the direction of a Hawkeye Wasp romance and a Cap Wanda romance and then it was all dropped so Bendis could blow up Ant Man and co.

I'm of the camp that thought AD was the best Avengers story since Neal Adams was around and then it all went to Hell with that abortion called House of M.

DC One Million was the best event.

Fatal Attractions was fun too. So was Mutant Massacre. And X-Ecutioner's Song. But these may not hold up.

Please start TT again with 50. You're missing out. McKeever is capturing the quality and vibrance Johns hasn't had since they got past the Titans of Tomorrow storyline. I wanted to quit with all that AA stuff too but I knew it was going to be short...

Oh I started again, I fuckin' love Teen Titans. Its just that for a short time that storyline made me stop reading one of my favorite books that I've read in its entirity up until that point. I think I missed like two issues. I did dump WW totally though which was a shame since I'd quite liked it since OYL up until then.

I'm not sure if it counts as self-contained or not, since I read it all in TPB form, but the whole Death and Return of Superman saga. I know it's not exactly Watchmen, but it was the thing that really got me into comics, and made me a serious mark for Cyborg Superman for some reason. I really like late 80's to early 90's Superman books.

I'm not sure if it counts as self-contained or not, since I read it all in TPB form, but the whole Death and Return of Superman saga. I know it's not exactly Watchmen, but it was the thing that really got me into comics, and made me a serious mark for Cyborg Superman for some reason. I really like late 80's to early 90's Superman books.

Yeah, it's a crossover. 4 Superman Titles, Justice League of America and a bunch of one-shots.

I actually preferred Knightfall. It was a great Bat tale with him stretched thin trying to get all the maniacs back in custody after Bane broke 'em out of Arkham. Knightquest or whatever it was sucked all the life out of it in my opinion.

I actually preferred Knightfall. It was a great Bat tale with him stretched thin trying to get all the maniacs back in custody after Bane broke 'em out of Arkham. Knightquest or whatever it was sucked all the life out of it in my opinion.

Knightfall was good but it just overstayed it's welcome. Had it been more condensed with a far more clearer focus and a couple less cooks in the kitchen it really good of been something great. But with all that said it is still heads and shoulders above the other Bat crossovers like No Man's Land and War Games.