NFL

JackFetch

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Hannah said. There are only three teams I despise in the NFL: The Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburg Steelers, and New England Patriots. It's also in about that order that I'm willing to cheer for them. It's also lucky that they're all AFC so I never have to worry about having to choose between them for hatred when it comes to The Super Bowl.

I'm pro Giants, although I'd be happen if San Francisco made it. Still, I'll be watching this live, booing the Pats and enjoying the whole thing. Apart from the commercials, because we don't get those. Which as a media student with interest in the whole presentation is bullshit.

I never really understood the hate for the Pats beyond the fact that they've been whooping up on the league for ten years now. Can anyone explain it to me?

It's a lot of things. No one likes the team that wins a lot over a couple of years. 2007 was a big ine; they ALMOST went undefeated, and they fucking stomped over a lot of teams on the way, wining by ridiculous margins. Spygate lost a lot of people. Also, and I'm the first to admit this because I see it all over here, there are a LOT of asshole Pats fans. We're used to seeing our team do well and we can be obnoxious as fuck. We're the new Yankees fans.

I never really understood the hate for the Pats beyond the fact that they've been whooping up on the league for ten years now. Can anyone explain it to me?

It's a lot of things. No one likes the team that wins a lot over a couple of years. 2007 was a big ine; they ALMOST went undefeated, and they fucking stomped over a lot of teams on the way, wining by ridiculous margins. Spygate lost a lot of people. Also, and I'm the first to admit this because I see it all over here, there are a LOT of asshole Pats fans. We're used to seeing our team do well and we can be obnoxious as fuck. We're the new Yankees fans.

Add in the fact that you have a lot of bandwagon jumping fans. At least around me, there were ZERO Pats fans until they won that first Super Bowl. Now there are a lot.

Add in the fact that you have a lot of bandwagon jumping fans. At least around me, there were ZERO Pats fans until they won that first Super Bowl. Now there are a lot.

That's somewhat accurate. For me, it was when Drew Bledsoe and Bill Parcells came on board in the 90s. Before that, the Pats were, quite literally, the worst team in the NFL for 30 years. They had zero respectability. None. They had NO fans. I grew up a Bills fan. Then they started to not suck for a while and it became okay to follow the team. And then when they started winning Super Bowls, you got the pink hats and bandwagoners.

Brees doesn't engender the same kind of hatred as Brady. Of course, it took a few years for Brady to attract that kind of ire.

Of course, EVERYONE hates Belichick. Which I can totally understand. He's a hell of a coach, but even I can see he's the personification of evil given human form.

He's MY personification of evil given human form, however.

The entitlement of newfound bandwagon fans, regardless of who they are, astounds me. Red Sox fans were, for generations, awesome, knowledgable fans who you could hold reasonable intelligent conversations with. Eleven years ago they FINALLY won, and now the park is bloated with drunken frat boys and moronic girls who scream "I wanna fuck Ellsbury tonight" at the top of their lungs and yet couldn't pick a middle reliver out of a lineup . It's ridiculous.

However, winning engenders hatred. I'm totally guilty of this. I LOATHE the Colts. Which is STUPID, because Peyton Manning strikes me as a goofy, likable guy. I just HATE seeing him win games for some reason.

I've ALWAYS hated the Steelers, however, and have, for many years, actively enjoyed it when they lose. I was GLEEFUL when they lost last year, and am fully cognizant of what an asshole that makes me.

But it's funny; my girl...friend...person...thing is a HUGE Giants fan. So we will sit on the couch tomorrow actively hating each other's guts. (However, if I'm being totally honest, I do not expect to walk away tomorrow happy. The Patriots have a shit defense.)

I admit I jumped on the Pats bandwagon when Brady came on board (granted when he was at the "who is this guy filling in for Bledsoe" stage, not world-beater stage), I honestly believe that Spygate was overblown (it happened, but I have a feeling the only difference between him and a lot of others is that he got caught).

• 1 month later...

I don't understand the outrage about this. The Colts are a spots team who mission is to win. If they feel that Manning does not give them the best chance to win, they have the right to make a change.

I am a 49ers fan. They once had a guy who played WR. He was pretty good. His name was Jerry Rice. In 2000, he was getting older (38) and had a few years left in him, but probably not at the high of rate he/the team were used to. The team had a younger guy (T. Owens) at the position and felt like Rice was not the best option (projected production for the money) and he was not brought back. He signs with the Raiders, has 3 great years and even makes it to a Super Bowl.

The reaction I have heard makes it sound like Manning will never play again. He will find work and he has a chance to be very successful.

I just don't understand why they wouldn't want to keep him on to mentor Luck. It says a lot about your team when the absence of one player leads to your worst season in 20 years.

I think in the ideal situation that would have happened. However, if losing one player leads to your worst season in years, you have more than a few needs. Financially, not paying Manning his roster bonus, or salary, you allow yourself the ability to work on filling out your team. Remember, Manning started from game #1 and he turned out fine. Luck could do just the same.

If Manning were happy to take a pay cut and become that mentor, they would have jumped at it. But the Manning family isn't know for it's humility, so I can't see him taking a 30% pay cut and only playing 60% of game time to nurture the next generation.

That all being said, I think Manning is doing the right thing for himself looking to get a couple more season out of his career and if that's not full time with the Colts, then all the best to him at Washington (my pick/guess) or wherever he ends up. Wonder if the new administration at the Raiders will do something crazy!