NFL

JackFetch

If I were them I would worry more about how their whole franchise depends on having a superstar quarterback to carry them. They act like it's his fault for what happened last season. "How dare he get injured and ruin our season". Maybe if they had some decent players it wouldn't have been a total loss. It also shows just how good he really is, and with a decent team to play with he'd be unstoppable.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely agree with Jack on this one. Like I said in my first post, worst season since 1991, 20 years. Losing your quarterback, yeah your game plan changes and you might not do as well. However, this season showed that the Colts are in bad shape, and if Luck doesn't set the world on fire, could be in troubling times.

I think what happened to the Colts was a perfect storm of sorts. Yes, Manning getting hurt, well, hurt. But when Brady was hurt, the Patriots did turn into stale goat cheese. I think the signs were already there that the Colts 'window' was closing during the '10 season.

- The defense has never been good, just got HOT during one playoff run. And even then, they were really built to play with the lead.

- The Texans got better. I really do believe they would have won the division last year, Manning or no.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

What the fuck was that last night?

Christ! I don't follow football, but that was one fucked up call. And I agree with TJ Lang: "Any player / coach in Seattle that really thinks they won that game has zero integrity as a man and should be embarrassed." Instead of acting like they won the Superbowl, the Seahawks' players and staff should be out there saying, "Yeah, we got a lucky call."

What about the last second kick by the Ravens? I've yet to see definitive evidence to say if it was in or out. I'd have said not but none of the TV images have been remotely conclusive.

The Seahawks deal was completely bizarre though, not surprised it's resulted in this outrage. The normals refs have a strong bargaining position at the moment.

That was a bad call. However, it was not the only one in that game let alone this season. The only reason this is getting more press is due to it being a last second touchdown. Note that I did not say change the game. Since it was not the only blown call in the game, the game was already changed.

And I agree with TJ Lang: "Any player / coach in Seattle that really thinks they won that game has zero integrity as a man and should be embarrassed."

I am somewhat mystified at this quote. Golden Tate was trying to make a play. Too late, but he was trying to make a play. Should he not do that? Should he have stood up went to the ref and said "Nah, the other guy caught it. We should lose."? I get not feeling good about the win. I get that. But to call their integrity into question is a bit much.

Instead of acting like they won the Superbowl, the Seahawks' players and staff should be out there saying, "Yeah, we got a lucky call."

I think that is a bit unfair. It was a last second touchdown that won the game. And while what happened happened, I understand celebration in the moment. Seattle players didn't see the close-up TV view that we all saw at home. Most are yards away. All they know is that they won in spectacular fashion. I would hope (and somewhat expect) that if you asked them today, they would admit to having gotten away with one. [This article seems to say that someone does so.]

I'd liken it to a last second buzzer-beater in basketball. The shot is always reviewed to see if the shot was made before time expired. But the players saw it go in and dog-pile the shooter. If it counts or not, I'm not going to fault players for reacting that way.

Every time one of these "game changing" calls happen, I remind people that they had the whole game to score more points. If you wait until the last 5 minutes to start playing hard, it's going to happen. What does piss me off is to see the commentators doing everything they can to make the replacement refs look bad. The guys from NBC are the worst. They will take some minor little holding penalty that wasn't called and act like it changed the outcome of the game. Guess what, the real refs blow calls all the time. Ed Hochuli, the best NFL ref in my opinion blew a call and awarded a win to Denver a couple years ago because he fucked up. It happens. At least the players aren't striking.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This weekends games have all thrown out some amazing moments. I watched the Broncos/Ravens game last night (our time) which I didn't think would be that good and I was sucked in almost from the start. The Pats did what everyone expected, even if they had me nervous on my line bet at stages. But the big news is the Falcons win, could be a watershed moment for Ryan I think, hopefully for you James :)

I watched one game this weekend and only one game. And that would be the Niners doing what the Niners do.

Looking ahead, I think this was the better match-up for San Fransisco. Of the five non-wins (stupid tie), 4 came from teams with a run-first mentality with a big back. I don't see that in Atlanta. Granted, I have seen 0 Falcons games, but I don't feel like Turner is a back that can give the Niners problems. I do worry about Gonzalez having a big day tho. If Kaepernick can play mistake free football I see this being a 10 point game. If Kaepernick struggles, this could come down to an Akers' FG attempt, which is not something I would look forward to. Gonna be fun.

Good lord. That is about the most tense I have been for a football game in a while. I couldn't sit still after the Niners scored the go ahead touchdown. I just knew that Atlanta was going to march down the field. Just like they did to end the first half. White/Jones/Gonzo are just beastly. I'll freely admit I have no idea how that was not PI on the 4th down play. Bowman was practically hugging White the entire play. But it wasn't called and I don't give a shit.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

It's because you're allowed contact within 5 yards. Even White admitted after the game that you aren't going to get that call down there that close to the end zone.

I'm devastated as always. This is what it is to be an Atlanta sports fan. I've had my heart ripped out so many times, I might as well be a goddamned Mortal Kombat character.

On a complete 'why not' moment, I stopped at the local travel agency to see what a Super Bowl travel package would cost. I went for a simple, no frills package. Plane tickets, game tickets and one night hotel. No pre or post game party tickets. No meal vouchers. No rental car. My total for a shit hotel. Nosebleed seats.

$10,000.

And yet my friends don't understand why I would sell any Super Bowl tickets, if I were to ever happen upon some.

• 11 months later...

Just looking at this from a completely football context: He wasn't that good. He ranked in the 18-25 range in yards per punt. His career average is 44.4. The guy they just drafted (Jeff Locke) averaged 44.2 in his first year. And to quote a yahoo article "By going with the rookie over Kluwe, the Vikings will save over $860,000 in cash and $998,952 in cap space." Again, completely in a football context, cutting him was, in my mind, a smart move.

Punters are largely ignored and interchangeable. Off the top of my head, I can only name one active punter (because he is on my team). Every team that missed the playoffs cut players this past Monday to make room for younger, cheaper options. Yet somehow, Kluwe is different because he is outspoken? Sometimes there isn't a hidden meaning and sometimes an apple is just an apple.

From what I know an eight year career in a position with limited spots in the NFL seems quite good. I do think that his clashes may have resulted in a bad vibe with management but equally he could have said nothing and been replaced that same year. Either way his perspective was interesting and I appreciated him speaking out in such a manner where the reader could make up their mind.