What are you watching/reading?

Shinmaru

From the current season, I'm keeping up with Genshiken 2 and Shugo Chara! Genshiken 2 is just as funny as the first season and the OVAs; the episode where

Ogiue imagines different pairings with the male members of Genshiken

is particularly hysterical. Shugo Chara! is unbelievably girly, but it's also a lot of fun, so I don't care. Plus, the Charas are hilarious when they're interacting with one another.

I also just finished watching the first season of Code Geass last night. The show is pretty interesting despite the fact that I can't really get behind either Lelouch or Suzaku. Lots of batshit insane plot twists probably helped with that little problem, haha. Plus the show is just nice to look at. (EDIT: Also, I was rolling at all the random ass Pizza Hut ads. I half expected there to be a giant Pizza Hut box when everyone was making the giant pizza at the school festival near the end of the season.)

I'm also going to start Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann in a few moments.

EDIT2: Forgot, I'm watching Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, too. I've actually been keeping up with it since it debuted in the summer, but fansubs have been slow to come out. Hopefully it won't be too long before the final episode is translated.

As for manga, I'm just reading Naruto at the moment, half out of genuine interest in the plot and half out of habit. I'm curious to where the long anticipated

Sasuke/Itachi rematch

goes, as well as

Tobi vs. Team Naruto.

However, I'm really disappointed in the current focus of the manga, the

Jiraiya/Pein fight. It had so much potential and could have really established Pein as an interesting, frightening villain. Instead, he's turned out to be kind of a generic bad guy and I immediately lost most of my interest in him. It's picked up a bit with the hullabaloo about Pein's actual identity, but it's a bit late for me.

Oh well. Hopefully it will pick up soon.

How about everyone else?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought the last DVD of AIR, and.... I cried. Cried is even too manly of a term. I bawled. It was sad.

Genshiken was a series I kept up with in the manga, so I'm not in a rush to see it again. Code Geass was amazing too. I HATE HATE HATE that cliffhanger at the end of 25 though.

I'm watching Gurren Lagann, Clannad, Myself; Yourself, and Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai right now. GL is filled with EPIC and WIN, Clannad will end up with me crying, Higurashi is a great watch, and Myself; Yourself was a surprise hit with me.

I just recently finished Baccano. It was an incredibly good watch, with no stops along the way.

In terms of manga, I'm reading BECK, Bleach, Alive, Drifting Classroom, EDEN, Fruits Basket, Gunslinger Girl, Gakuen Alice, Hibiki's Magic, Kashimashi -Girl Meets Girl-, Life, Monster, MPD Psycho, NANA, Negima, Evangelion, Tsubasa, Welcome to the NHK, and Yotsuba&. In terms of Anime-related novels, I'm reading the Welcome to the NHK novel, Calling You, Kino no Tabi, Scrapped Princess, Missing, Twelve Kingdoms, and Good Witch of the West. I'm enjoying all of them, with a STRONG emphasis on Monster, EDEN, Life, and BECK.

-I agree with James' Hell Girl love, Brina Palencia is racing up the list of my fave ADR Actress'

-I got the last manga of Genshiken and it is pretty hit and miss, some of the chapters fall flat, some bring a tear to the eye...and don't get me started on Chapter 53, it took me damn near an hour to read through it...it really got to me.

-Getting to the end of the Peach Girl dub...I hate the ending but the show is good regardless

-BECK is phenomenal, chrno and I shall be reviewing that show sooner than later.

-Life is...something else that's for sure, once again will be reviewed.

-Vampire Knight is a rather sub-par series that I can't help but love

-Kaleido Star: New Wings is the second series of a show I love to death and can't help but feel better about anything after watching an episode.

That's all I can think of.

Haha, busy guy, chrno.

Baccano is something I'll be watching pretty soon. I tried to keep up with it when it first started, but I just got way too busy with things.

Fruits Basket I'm a big fan of, but... well, insane, soapy stories are a huge guilty pleasure of mine; however, Fruits Basket gets a little too insane and soapy near the end.

Kyo knew Tohru's mom when he was a kid, and he was there when Tohru's mom was run over and didn't bother to save her?? WTF??

(For the love of God, don't read that unless you've finished Fruits Basket.) Gotta admire the balls on Takaya for her to let the story run that wild, though. Plus, I can't really speak too ill of Fruits Basket because of all the emotional gut checks it gave me.

Hm, didn't really think about light novels when I made this topic. Whenever the newest Haruhi light novel is out and translated, I'll read that, and I recently bought Boogiepop and Others, so I'll be giving that a whirl as well.

D.W.: Probably because a lot of it is terrible, just like any other entertainment medium. You have to really like anime a lot to see the good in some series lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished episode 9 of Clannad, which finished off the first girl (Fuuko)'s storyline. It was definitely nice and sad, which I expected from a Key game adaptation. It's not the same kind of sad as Air, but a heartwarming sad. Anyways, highly reccomended. I'm playing through the game as well, and I hope to finish the game before the anime ends.

Besides that, I'm just not-so-patiently waiting for the new Gunslinger Girl to air. I could probably watch it raw, what with having read the manga up to volume 5. There's not too much coming out this season though.

Spring 2008 will be where it's at though. New Geass, Macross Frontier (w00t!!!!!), Possibly a new Haruhi, SA, and who knows what else. Spring 2006 got me back into absolutely loving anime again (with Haruhi, Ouran, Utawarerumono, Simoun, NANA, and Higurashi being the stand-outs), so I'm hoping for it to happen again.

• 3 months later...

Right now I'm spending the most time watching Monster, which is great (I finished episode 57 last night). I love all the twists and turns in the story, and that the series can make the simplest things resonate so wonderfully. I got chills

watching Tenma set up his sniping position in the library for when Johan accompanied Schuwald to the unveiling of the book donation.

Still watching Shugo Chara!, and I'm also watching the second season of Code Geass. I finished Clannad a while back and really liked it; I can't wait for the second season.

I'm rewatching NGE after picking it up on the cheap from Best Buy a couple of weeks ago (Platinum Collection for $28!). I'm liking it a lot more now than I did when I first saw it, which seems odd, but probably speaks volumes about the depth of the work. Just absolutely amazing.

Also trying to get Gundam 00, which I've heard some mixed things about, but mostly good. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

• 3 months later...

Finished Monster quite a while ago and loved it. Definitely one of my favorites.

Also finished Gurren Lagann, which I also loved. Gloriously over the top and tons of fun.

Still watching Shugo Chara! and it is still awesome.

Also watching Revolutionary Girl Utena, which has surprised me a lot so far. I expected it to be weird, but in a completely different way than it actually is. It's like the magical girl version of Gurren Lagann, except it's even weirder than that. And apparently I haven't even seen the really bizarre stuff yet! (I finished the first arc today.)

What exactly is Gurren Lagann about? It looks...interesting.

Basically there is this kid, Simon, and this older kid, Kamina, who escape from their underground home with the help of a girl named Yoko and a mecha. From there, they fight the forces that keep the world oppressed and so on and so forth.

For me, the story doesn't matter so much as the style of the series and the characters (although the story is pretty good and a lot of fun). The mecha battles are awesome, and the characters are really distinct and colorful. Kamina in particular is the embodiment of every macho anime character ever and makes up about 75% of the series' coolness.

• 2 months later...