What should a noob read/watch?

The Joker's Groupie

What kind of movies, comic books and cartoons are you into? That will help us help you.

Welcome to the forums, by the way!

Well, i'm into Daredevil, Iron Fist, Green Lantern and that type of action sci-fi stuff. And for cartoons Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends Camp Lazlo Invader zim and the DCAU and that type of stuff. :happy:

What kind of movies, comic books and cartoons are you into? That will help us help you.

Welcome to the forums, by the way!

Well, i'm into Daredevil, Iron Fist, Green Lantern and that type of action sci-fi stuff. And for cartoons Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends Camp Lazlo Invader zim and the DCAU and that type of stuff. :happy:

Oh no, you won't fit in here at all :angel:

Not being a huge Manga guy I can't help you much in that area, although the Battle Royale series is a good compliment to the book and film.

As far as Anime goes the two series that I enjoy most are Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Both contain a certain amount of introspective philosophy but this is balanced out nicely by big cyber punk violence/giant scientific creations fighting supernatural invaders. I'd highly advise checking both out. Gits:SAC is probably the most beautifully animated series I've ever seen.

All that being said I'm sure there are other members of the forum who will be much more helpful. I'm always interested in new recommendations myself.

Death Note has become the new Cowboy Bebop--i.e., the anime that transcends boundaries and gets people into anime who never really picked it up before. Now, since you're 13, I'm not going to recommend any "maturely-themed" animes/mangas because I don't feel like getting Mike and myself sued for it. Call it being cautious. :angel:

Here is what I will recommend for the inquiring teenage mind:

Comedy: Azumanga Daioh (both the manga and anime)--there isn't much of a plot, but it doesn't need one. It's very much a "day in the life of..." series, and they pull it off near-perfectly.

Action: Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Bleach, R.O.D.: The TV--some of the best action sequences ever rendered are in these three series.

Drama: Princess Mononoke, Fullmetal Alchemist

Mystery: Detective Conan ("Case Closed")--a mystery series that doesn't insult your intelligence.

Western: Cowboy Bebop--arguably the greatest anime series ever created.

I would also throw in that Chrono Crusade is my favorite anime ever. It's got a fair amount of gorey violence, but the storyline and art are brilliant and the characters are all deep and well developed. As I've said before, it's the only anime that has ever made me cry--the ending is just heartwrenching.

The Japanese version of Initial D. Kellen will bitch and moan about my opinion of Tokyopop's handling of this, but they changed a major plot point, which I find unacceptable. Names and slang, I can take, but the plot and music? Sorry. They crossed a line.

When you're 17, watch Akira. It changed the way everything was animated, and not just in Japan, hell, not even just cartoons. The plot's kind of crazy, but the animation is still jaw-dropping today.

and Trigun. You have to watch Trigun. The dub is really good, too!

The Japanese version of Initial D. Kellen will bitch and moan about my opinion of Tokyopop's handling of this, but they changed a major plot point, which I find unacceptable. Names and slang, I can take, but the plot and music? Sorry. They crossed a line.

??? I have never seen Initial D in any form in my life and henceforth have no opinion..????

??? I have never seen Initial D in any form in my life and henceforth have no opinion..????

Referring to your rant on fansubs in the Geneon thread. Your opinion of my opinion. Not about Initial D.

If you've never seen Initial D, well...you should! It's really good. Just know that if you watch the dub (and I've heard even the subtitled versions of those scenes are changed in the Tokyopop versions, but it seems to me that's unlikely to be true) that one of the plot lines is not even close to what it was in the original, to "Americanize" it and attempt to clean it up for after-school TV (even though it features illegal street racing...). And given the fallout from that plot, I don't even know how they could edit it to make sense without Takumi looking like the biggest asshole on planet earth.

The Inital D dub is an abomination and Tokyopop should never try to adapt/americanize anything ever. I cite the horrid Giffenizations of Battle Royale and Ikkitousen (Battle Vixens). "F*** a Duck"? Changing "It was either you kill me or I kill you" to "Oh..... and red? Most definitely NOT your color." REALLY?!?

For a 13 year old who likes Death Note... I'd reccomend Monster. It's most certainly a more mature read, but it's suspense storytelling at it's ABSOLUTE finest. 20th Century Boys will be released after Monster, and that's an even more fantastic read.

Regardless of Age or Gender, Fruits Basket is a very upbeat show that will almost always put a smile on your face.

Cowboy Bebop is a decent show, but I wouldn't put it too high on my list. I found other action shows to be more appealing to me. R.O.D. The TV and the Read or Die OVA are excellent action shows with overarching plots. Bebop was a little too detached for my liking.

I was around your age when I first started really watching anime, and Chrno/Chrono Crusade was in many ways my gateway drug. Many describe it as 'Hellsing Lite', but it's excellent, and the ending is well done as well, and nearly had me in tears.

As far as Shonen shows go, One Piece is undoubtably the way to go. It starts off very, VERY slowly, but once the fourth arc occurs (Arlong Park and Nami's past), the series continues to get better and better, never feeling repetitive, even with it's 40+ volumes. I also like Bleach, but in a guilty pleasure way. I can only think of one truly great fight in the series so far (I only buy the releases as they come to the US, and it's almost out of habit now).

And if you're up for angsty angst with a large dash of angst of the side, covered in angst sauce, try the manga Life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm going to suggest Ranma 1/2. It's what got me into Japanese Anime and Manga, and was at one time (about 1994/95) considered the quintessential "New to the Party" property. I still fondly remember a time when, just prior to the explosion of the popularity of Dragon Ball Z in the states, Ranma 1/2 was pretty much the most well known franchise in American fandom. I hear it's still hugely popular in France and Mexico.

Good times. :laugh:

I don't watch anime anymore hardly ever...but my favorites include:

Trigun - it's a western action comedy for the first half, and for the second half it's a philosphical action series. Really good show and I still like this better than Bebop. It's also got a great dub and is one of the only two series that I could watch in dub (the other being Bebop).

Gungrave - most of the series is anime take on the mafia and since I love gangster movies, I really got into this. The first episode sucks, badly, but keep watching.

Berserk - a medieval action fantasy. I don't remember it too well, but I do remember liking it a ton.

Macross Plus - Probably the best Macross you can watch. It's the only anime I ever own, it's a great complete story in a movie and it's amazing visually.

City Hunter - I never saw the series, but there's a few movies of this that I at one point owned, I remember City Hunter - The Motion Picture being the best, there's also a live-action movie starring Jackie Chan. I loved the dub, I thought it was hilarious. Not a great plot and won't make you think too much, but it's really fun, it's basically a goofy James Bond.

I used to be huge on the action anime...and that's what most of mine lean toward. I haven't watched Full Metal Alchemist or anything else