Top Ten Comic Book based films

With so many comic book based films out there, I wanna know, what is your favorite? This I'm sure is a tough question to answer, so give me your top ten.

10: The Punisher

9: Spider-Man

8: Blade

7: X-Men II

6: Sin City

5: Daredevil: Director's Cut

4: Spawn

3: Batman Begins

2: Superman

1: The Crow

I didn't include Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman or Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, because they are animation. But those are also on my top favorites. I also didn't include Tim Burton's Batman, because as good and classic as it is, Batman Begins is still better.

Hmm, why the first Spider-man over part 2? I'm hardly a fan of either, but I thought part 2 was universally considered the best of the series.

Anyways, my list.

10: Punisher (the Dolph Lundgren version~!)

9: Swamp Thing

8: Batman Begins

7: American Splendor

6: Ghost World

5: Sin City

4: Blade 2

3: X-Men 2

2: The Addams Family

1: The Crow

*cough*

Then again, that's only the stuff I've reviewd so far - no way in HELL would Ghost Rider remain in my Top 10!!! At a guess, my list would look something like this.

10. The Punisher (take your pick)

9. Red Sonja

8. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

7. The Return of Swamp Thing

6. Elektra

5. Superman IV: The Quest For Peace

4. Catwoman

3. Steel

2. Howard The Duck

1. Batman & Robin

OR alternatively

10. 300

9. Stardust

8. Superman

7. V For Vendetta

6. The Crow

5. The Mask

4. Batman Begins

3. Sin City

2. Spider-Man 2

1. X2

I know The Crow's a great movie, made even more poignant by the tragic behind the scenes circumstancs, but the best ever? Alright then.

I'm throwing a couple of animated movies in my list because I love them ever so much:

1.) Batman Begins

2.) Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (I'm going to grade this a 20 on a scale of 1 to 10 when we get to it on WFP)

3.) X2: X-Men United

4.) Sin City

5.) Spider-Man 2

6.) Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

7.) The Mask

8.) V for Vendetta

9.) 300

10.) Batman Returns

*cough*

Then again, that's only the stuff I've reviewd so far - no way in HELL would Ghost Rider remain in my Top 10!!! At a guess, my list would look something like this.

9. Red Sonja

6. Elektra

4. Catwoman

3. Steel

2. Howard The Duck

1. Batman & Robin

OR alternatively

10. 300

9. Stardust

8. Superman

7. V For Vendetta

6. The Crow

5. The Mask

4. Batman Begins

3. Sin City

2. Spider-Man 2

1. X2

I know The Crow's a great movie, made even more poignant by the tragic behind the scenes circumstancs, but the best ever? Alright then.

Ok well which one is your top ten, the second set looks good, but your first set is critically considered(and by me) the worse, with Howard the Duck being the worse of them

Every time I see The Crow it moves further down my list. Great film at the time, but it doesn't really hold up.

I just think that for me it holds up well. I think that the score of the movie is one of the best, the sets and the dark setting of the film is great. The performances are good, a little Edgar Allen Poe at times, but nothing wrong with a little poetry type speech. If this was made today, it would have more gore, more CGI and everything else used in these dark atmospheric films of today and I liked that it didn't. Little CGI was used, not much blood, it also had a killer soundtrack..and remember I wasn't a fan of much of the 90's rock scene(grudge rock in particular).

Off the top of my head...

10. TMNT

09. The Crow

08. Blade

07. Hellboy

06. 300

05. Batman Begins

04. Superman: The Movie

03. Sin City

02. X-Men 2

01. Spider-Man 2

Films like Ghost World and a History of Violence were left off because I don't feel it's fair to compare high drama to high action. The Crow, 300 and Hellboy all made the cut because they're action / fantasy-ish, and Sin City looks just like the comic from which it was adapted.

Off the top of my head...

10. TMNT

09. The Crow

08. Blade

07. Hellboy

06. 300

05. Batman Begins

04. Superman: The Movie

03. Sin City

02. X-Men 2

01. Spider-Man 2

Films like Ghost World and a History of Violence were left off because I don't feel it's fair to compare high drama to high action. The Crow, 300 and Hellboy all made the cut because they're action / fantasy-ish, and Sin City looks just like the comic from which it was adapted.

I was originally going to put the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film on my list, but wasn't that a cartoon first, than it became a comic?

Sin City looks exactly like the comic book, beause that's what co-director/comic book creator Frank Miller wanted. Can't wait for Sin City II, does anyone know if Angelina Jolie has decided to do it, I know Rosario Dawson, Jessica Alba and Bruce Willis are returning, I'm not who else.

Daredevil? Really?

Yea, I thought the Theatrical Edition was good, but when I saw the Director's Cut, I found myself liking it even more. Ben Affleck was great in it and Jennifer Gardner seemed to light the room up, when she was with him. I felt bad when I saw Elektra and saw how terrible that was. I still haven't seen the Director's Cut of that, so maybe that will also be better. I also loved Michael Clarke Duncan as The Kingpin(a role he reprised in the animated MTV CGI Series Spider-Man), I found him much better than John Rhyes Davies performance in Trial of the Incredible Hulk.

I was originally going to put the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film on my list, but wasn't that a cartoon first, than it became a comic?

It was a comic book first.

And I don't think Jolie is attached to Sin City II at this point in time.

It was a comic book first.

And I don't think Jolie is attached to Sin City II at this point in time.

That sucks, having Dawson and Jolie in one movie together, would be great. The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie is number 10 on my list, its better than The Punisher.

*cough*

9. Red Sonja

6. Elektra

4. Catwoman

3. Steel

2. Howard The Duck

1. Batman & Robin

OR alternatively

10. 300

9. Stardust

8. Superman

7. V For Vendetta

6. The Crow

5. The Mask

4. Batman Begins

3. Sin City

2. Spider-Man 2

1. X2

Ok well which one is your top ten, the second set looks good, but your first set is critically considered(and by me) the worse, with Howard the Duck being the worse of them

Er, yes....that *was* the joke!!!

Believe me, if the first list were true, Mike probably wouldn't have hired me! Then again, I have my suspicions about purely being a diversity hire who says "pip-pip" & "cheerio" to mainatin internet prominence. :happy:

Er, yes....that *was* the joke!!!

Believe me, if the first list were true, Mike probably wouldn't have hired me! Then again, I have my suspicions about purely being a diversity hire who says "pip-pip" & "cheerio" to mainatin internet prominence. :happy:

What're you talking aboot eh? Mike isn't like that! Don't be such a hoser!

I'll go...

10) V for Vendetta

9) The Crow

8) Constatine (this is an awkward one, since I tend to go into it while trying hard not to compare it to the comic at all)

7) Spider-Man

6) Hellboy

5) Sin City

4) X-Men

3) X-Men 2

2) Batman Begins

1) Spider-Man 2

I've tried to stick to the same criteria as Yoda, otherwise History of Violence would certainly be in my top four.

Though I haven't seen it, the director's cut of DD is supposed to be quite good.

I really didn't hate Daredevil. Of course it was flawed, and in some areas very Crow-lite, but at the same time it was packed with nice references to classic DD moments and the fight sequences were really good aside from the final one with the Kingpin, and even then I don't really know how I'd go about improving that. Plus I hear the Directors Cut removes the utterly needless fireside love scene.

Of course I really liked Hulk as well so how much can you trust me? Mutant poodles and fuzzy incompehensible endings aside, it was packed with unique style and was much closer to how the hulk should be on screen than I thought they would get.

I also thought Superman Returns was good. OK, maybe there was too much liberty taken with the basic settings of a Superman story but I can't fault the performances or the modern CGI realisation of the Man of Steel. The whole plane catching sequence was jaw dropping. I do hope that the next film introduces a classic villian besides Lex though. Not that Lex shouldn't be in it.

I am going to say-

10. 300

9. Ghost in the Shell

8. Batman

7. Batman Returns

6. Blade

5. The Crow

4. Sin City

3. X-Men 2

2. Batman Begins

1. Spider-man 2

Sue me, I liked the Tim Burton Batman. If it hadn't been for that I wouldn't have realised there was anything but the old 60's series.

Though I haven't seen it, the director's cut of DD is supposed to be quite good.

I really didn't hate Daredevil. Of course it was flawed, and in some areas very Crow-lite, but at the same time it was packed with nice references to classic DD moments and the fight sequences were really good aside from the final one with the Kingpin, and even then I don't really know how I'd go about improving that. Plus I hear the Directors Cut removes the utterly needless fireside love scene.

Of course I really liked Hulk as well so how much can you trust me? Mutant poodles and fuzzy incompehensible endings aside, it was packed with unique style and was much closer to how the hulk should be on screen than I thought they would get.

I also thought Superman Returns was good. OK, maybe there was too much liberty taken with the basic settings of a Superman story but I can't fault the performances or the modern CGI realisation of the Man of Steel. The whole plane catching sequence was jaw dropping. I do hope that the next film introduces a classic villian besides Lex though. Not that Lex shouldn't be in it.

I am going to say-

10. 300

9. Ghost in the Shell

8. Batman

7. Batman Returns

6. Blade

5. The Crow

4. Sin City

3. X-Men 2

2. Batman Begins

1. Spider-man 2

Sue me, I liked the Tim Burton Batman. If it hadn't been for that I wouldn't have realised there was anything but the old 60's series.

First the DD: Director's Cut makes more sense, it's also more adult. That's why it's R Rated and not just a regular Director's Cut that's unrated. The removel of the Matt/Elektra love scene, made it more of depressing setting for Matt. I always felt like in terms of film, DD is like the Marvel version of Batman, yes he has a power of sorts and Batman doesn't, but his greatest strength is him always having to be alone. I would definately get the Director's Cut, but don't throw away the 2 disc Theatrical Cut.

I grew up in the 80's and loved the Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno series very much. Although, I know they changed things around a lot so it made more sense for a realistic type setting, I could never get over how The Hulk film was done. The film could have been so much better. It's like they paid so much attention to the CGI, special FX, etc that they forgot to look over the story. Grant it, it's not the worse film adaptation I've seen from Marvel(Generation X was), it could and should have been handled better. I also hated the Comic Book type screen splits, but I have to still give them points for trying.

Superman Returns was good, my problem with it was the overuse of references to the original Superman. You can clearly see that the writers were fans of the original film and too some extent the second film. I hated how CGI Superman looked in the outfit(I don't mean when he's flying). The biggest gripe that I'm most people had was the little boy being Superman's kid and Lois knowing this. At the end of Superman II, Lois is given the Superkiss that made her forget everything, so how does she remember that her and Superman slept together. Not to mention that throughout the film, the kid has so many medical problems it's kind of hard to believe that all of a sudden puberty would come when they really needed it. The film was still better than Superman III and IV. I think the plane sequence was an homage to the Bruce Timm DCAU Pilot episode of Superman: TAS.