Netflix

JackFetch

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Netflix added a lot last night to streaming. Highlights include Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Spider-man The Animated Series (90's), Spider-man (60's), X-men the Animated Series, X-Men Evolution, Night of the Comet, Elfen Lied, and Charmed. For whatever reason, DS9 isn't streaming yet but I'm sure that will get fixed shortly.

• 2 weeks later...
Netflix Introduces New Plans and Announces Price Changes

Jessie Becker, here to share two significant changes at Netflix with you.

First, we are launching new DVD only plans. These plans offer our lowest prices ever for unlimited DVDs – only $7.99 a month for our 1 DVD out at-a-time plan and $11.99 a month for our 2 DVDs out at-a-time plan. By offering our lowest prices ever, we hope to provide great value to our current and future DVDs by mail members. New members can sign up for these plans by going to DVD.netflix.com.

Second, we are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into separate plans to better reflect the costs of each and to give our members a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan or the option to subscribe to both. With this change, we will no longer offer a plan that includes both unlimited streaming and DVDs by mail.

So for instance, our current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month

Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming), for $7.99 a month.

The price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). For new members, these changes are effective immediately; for existing members, the new pricing will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

Why the changes?

Last November when we launched our $7.99 unlimited streaming plan, DVDs by mail was treated as a $2 add on to our unlimited streaming plan. At the time, we didn’t anticipate offering DVD only plans. Since then we have realized that there is still a very large continuing demand for DVDs both from our existing members as well as non-members. Given the long life we think DVDs by mail will have, treating DVDs as a $2 add on to our unlimited streaming plan neither makes great financial sense nor satisfies people who just want DVDs. Creating an unlimited DVDs by mail plan (no streaming) at our lowest price ever, $7.99, does make sense and will ensure a long life for our DVDs by mail offering. Reflecting our confidence that DVDs by mail is a long-term business for us, we are also establishing a separate and distinct management team solely focused on DVDs by mail, led by Andy Rendich, our Chief Service and Operations Officer and an 11 year veteran of Netflix.

Now we offer a choice: Unlimited Streaming for $7.99 a month, Unlimited DVDs for $7.99 a month, or both for $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). We think $7.99 is a terrific value for our unlimited streaming plan and $7.99 a terrific value for our unlimited DVD plan. We hope one, or both, of these plans makes sense for our members and their entertainment needs.

As always, our members can easily choose to change or cancel their unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both by visiting Your Account.

Source.

For some people, I can see this being a huge increase, As one of the people getting the 3 DVDs plan, this is a four dollar increase and I can drop back to two if I want to to keep what I'm currently paying. For the people who only do a DVD at a time with streaming though, yeah, it is kinda a big increase in what you're paying.

This isn't directed towards anyone here, but it needs to be said nonetheless: Netflix customers are proving to be whiney bitches about this whole thing. My Facebook page is littered with one "THIS IS AN OUTRAGE~!" post after another, and I'm sick of it. As I said over there:

It really doesn't bother me that Netflix is raising its prices. Paying $20 per month for two DVDs at a time and unlimited streaming is not unreasonable. That's less than the price of two movie tickets, and it's just barely higher than the price of purchasing one DVD.

The entitlement that people on the internet regularly display absolutely fucking astounds me. Netflix is a BUSINESS. They could get away with charging serious "fuck you" money and people would pay it. $20/month is not unreasonable for what they provide.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn there goes something we had that we could lord over you.....

You'll be happy to know that there are going to be a few less things we can lord over you.

CBS Shows To Run North And South Of The Border On Netflix

NEW YORK and BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. – July 27, 2011 — CBS Corporation [NYSE: CBS.A and CBS] and Netflix, Inc. [Nasdaq: NFLX] today announced a two-year, non-exclusive international licensing agreement that will enable certain television shows from across CBS Corporation to be streamed instantly to Netflix subscribers in Canada and Latin America. The agreement follows a separate domestic deal announced between the two companies in February. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Beginning in September, and for only $7.99 a month, Netflix members in Canada will be able to enjoy both the current and complete back seasons for CW hit "90210," as well as past seasons of critically lauded fan favorites from SHOWTIME such as "Californication," "Dexter," and "The United States of Tara." Canadian members will also have access to a broad range of CBS library programming, including "Numb3rs," "Sleeper Cell," and "Twin Peaks."

Netflix announced in early July that it would be launching in 43 countries across Mexico, South America and the Caribbean later this year. Under this new deal with CBS, previous seasons of series, including "90210," "Medium," "Nurse Jackie," "Californication" and "Dexter," will be available for Latin American members to watch instantly, as will a broad range of library titles, including the original "Star Trek," "Star Trek: The Next Generation," "Charmed," and "Twin Peaks."

"We are pleased to be partners with Netflix as they rollout their superb service to new markets," said Armando Nunez, President, CBS Studios International. "This new arrangement—which does not compete with U.S. ratings or SHOWTIME's domestic subscriber base—underscores the popularity of CBS content around the world, and illustrates yet another meaningful way for us to realize incremental value from our vast library of content."

"We are delighted to be expanding our successful relationship with CBS to our newer markets in Canada and Latin America," said Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer of Netflix. "We aim to provide the widest possible range of great TV shows so our members can always find something compelling to watch wherever and whenever they want."

Source.