The "I need to vent" thread

Missy

So. Going on a beer testing odyssey tonight, cause guess who can't even get off a fucking waitlist for a program? This chick.

Compounding this, the place I hope to get hired at apparently has a tendency to drag you around till the last minute, so here's hoping that's not happening, and I can only afford NYU if they fund me, which they probably won't, cause the general consensus seems to be that the Masters can all go bugger themselves, its only the doctorates that matter, and my father wants to put down the tuition deposit ($200), which is non refundable, and I'm pointing out that he's gonna lose that if they don't fund me, which they probably won't, and he's acting like that's nothing. Uhm, you have a salary Dad. I have a job that gives me $100 paychecks every two weeks if I'm really lucky in terms of hours, and for me, $200 means the ability to buy groceries and booze comfortably, pay bills, and maybe treat myself to something nice if I'm really lucky.

Oh, and while I went to get the beer, I had some old jackass try to grab my ass while telling me to go get my girly beers.

I fucking hate everything.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, I'm on my way back from break and my engine starts making some awful clicking noise and starts vibrating pretty violently. Despite the fact that I got an oil change 5-6 weeks ago, there was very little oil left in it. The car is sitting at the local Pep Boys and tomorrow morning, I'll find out if my engine has suffered catastrophic damage or is something mercifully cheap to repair. Seeing as how it's the engine, I don't have high hopes... :shakehead:

Dear East Asian Studies Major.

What. The. HELL.

So. Apparently the change in the senior experience requirements now means that I have to do a symposium on my EAST 699 paper in order to graduate at the end of the month. ...It would've been nice to know about those catalogue changes, say LAST TERM.

No love,

Me.

Rant the second: As I detailed earlier in Minor Annoyances, my professor is bugfuck senile. Senile enough that he thought it was still first week when it is in fact, fourth week, and told us a story about Joseph Stalin beating a parrot to death. I asked the registrar if I would be able to pass/fail the course on that basis. They say I would have to talk to the Dean in order for that to happen. Trying to debate whether or not it'd be worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

My ex-fiance is now married to the guy she was cheating on me with.

So that's awesome.

And now they have a kid.

I really need to find better things to do with myself at 2 in the morning.

I mentioned before that I bumped my 360 and ruined a copy of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Well, I borrowed a friend's copy and set my console permanently in a cabinet laying down so it would never happen again. I was just playing it and it scratched the borrowed disc when I was nowhere near it. So now I have to buy two new copies of the game, and probably a new console unless I can get it fixed. I am not meant to finish this fucking game.

Okay, so. I need a suggestion for a recording program that is not Skype Cap will record a Skype convo and if one of the host's connections craps out, it won't destroy the file that it's recorded to this point.

Cause guess what? My fucking wireless connection gave out, and we just lost a fucking hour-plus of recording. And it was GOOD recording. It's nothing that can't be recreated, but still!

In other, relevant news, I can't wait till I have a fucking decent internet connection. One more month of this shit, which will only be relevant for this episode and two more, but still. Damnit, Lawrence internet.

I use a combination of GarageBand and LineIn to record Skype (with some creative tweaking from the built-in mac settings in Audio MIDI Setup).

It's hella complicated to set up, but once it's done, it nicely puts my microphone's audio and the incoming Skype audio into two separate channels, directly into GarageBand for easy/instant editing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just contacted my University lecturers about all the stress I've been facing this year, and why I had to drop out of the course.

Here's hoping they get back to me and give me some options on what I can do.

The venting part is I wished I didn't wait so long to try and e-mail them.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we just a fucking vicous storm and well, it blew out our sliding doors into our back porch. We basically got stuck as a wind vacuum. Also going to have to stay up most of the night to make sure the tarp we put up stays in place and doesn't blow out then call off work so I'm here when maitnence shows up to put in the new doors. Putting pics in spoilers since there are a lot of them.

dscn0069v.jpg

Our new backdoors.

dscn0070w.jpg

Our neighbor's fence.

dscn0071r.jpg

The new location of our back doors.

dscn0072z.jpg

Our storage space, now with 50% less siding.

So. This morning has been interesting, and a highlight of how incompetent/idiotic our CHJA department is.

I got an email from our registrar this morning saying that the head of the department said that I hadn't completed my minor, and that if it wasn't straightened out, I would not be graduating. Uhm. That's news to me, mainly because of the fact that I did the exit interview last year (there's been major turnover in the department, the prof I took it with left after winter term last year cause she got a tenure job in Sapporo, the other professor who was there last year left, and now we have two new profs who I'm pretty sure are leaving at the end of the year) and passed, took all possible courses, and passed at at least a B grade. So, there's a bit of panic going on, and I send an email detailing these facts to the registrar, and to the professor (who very openly hates the entire fact that he has to share his department with Japanese, he's ethnically Chinese).

It turns out that the new Japanese professor, who confirmed that I did take and pass the exit interview, never actually sent my name to him. Department cohesion? What's that?

So, after a minor heart attack, I am in fact graduating. In other news, I need a drink.

One of my friends had major shoulder surgery last week, another had a stroke the other day. Out of the four of us that are the core group of friends I'm the only one that has never had anything major happen to me. Does that mean I should expect something horrific coming my way soon?