The "I need to vent" thread

Missy

You know what, I'm sick of people thinking running your own business is all 20hr weeks overflowing wallets and stress free long weekends at the country club. If I'm feeling a bit sick, I drag myself in to work, some of my employees, I swear they see some frost on the glass windows and call in "sick" from "food poisoning".

I seriously wonder why I put myself through this sometimes.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

100 degree weather and my power went out so I'm sweating like a hog because my A/C can't cool down fast enough, on E3 day one of course. Also found out I need $500 to fix my car today. The silver lining? Whatever was wrong with my internet the last week was fixed when the power came back on.

So I just finished with a part-time job that I've had over the last two months, where I spent a few days each week repainting an iron fence. This includes scraping the fence of rust and loose paint, priming it, and then painting it. It's not that bad, but for one person (me) who's never done anything like that before, it's pretty tough. I basically had to learn it all on the fly, and I wasn't even using the best tools for the job for the first several weeks, which greatly extended the amount of time and effort I spent on it all.

Halfway through the job, my car's alternator broke down, and I needed about 80% of my entire paycheck for the fence job to pay for it. The other 20% went into paying for gas just to get to the job.

I actually ran out of money at one point, and had to sell a few things just to break even. Now I'm left with literally no free cash, meaning that I haven't and can't see X-men, nor can I pay for a new nice shirt and shoes that I need to wear to a friends' wedding this Saturday (which sucks, because that might be the last time I get to see a lot of my close high school friends again).

I'm glad that I ended up having the money to pay for my car repairs, but I feel like I just spent two months of my life working only to end up in a worse spot than I was before.

As some of you probably know, I've been dealing with some stuff since Christmas, and have just sort of been having to deal with an incredibly stressful time for the past several months, and as some of you may also know, I've had to visit my doctor several times about getting something to help with anxiety/panic and sleeping issues, all of which, have generally done fuck all to help with the situation.

These past few weeks have really driven me down, for several reasons, some of which I won't talk about, as they involve other people.

Well, my insomnia just won't quit, and I felt like I was dealing with it, with the help of sleeping pills, I wasn't getting good nights sleep, most days, but a couple of hours, kind of helped with my problems.

I've had to drop out of my university course due to several factors, and tried to gain an appeal on the grounds that I've had to seek on campus counselling, and receive prescriptions from my GP. My appeal was just denied. Basically, I feel like I've been told to go fuck myself.

I've also had to deal with things on a personal level, that have just royally fucked with me, and I can't actually do anything about them, so that's bothering me as well.

I have all these things just kicking me down from everything fucking angle, and I just know something else is going to come along soon and just when I think I can handle the problems, another thing just comes along and beats the ever living fuck out of me. I know, to some people, it's like the shit I'm dealing with is small, and it is, I could probably deal with it, had it happened one by one, but this shit seems to come at me all at once, and I can't handle dealing with one of my problems because it just feels like, mentally, they all have to be dealt with, and the one at a time thing just feels like it can't happen.

So, now I've got all these different things that need to be dealt with, and I have absoulutely no fucking clue where to go from here, and people constantly asking me, "So, how's the degree going?" and I just have to lie and say fine. I can't exactly turn around to someone and say:

Oh, it all fell apart, I got extremely stressed out, the people I thought were my friends formed their own tightnit group, left me to fend for myself, in a place where 90% of the class had their own groups, and the other 10% were people I thought were my friends, and me, so I felt alone.

Last summer my best friend and I moved in together, and then, two weeks later, I found out that their was a good chance, he'd have to leave the country and never come back, unless he was allowed to repeat his third year, which he wasn't. So instead of spending last summer winding down, and getting ready to start a new year, I had to deal with the knowledge that the person I truly cared about, would no longer be in my life, and I would like never see them again. Got to me. Finding out he failed his repeat exams meaning their was likely no chance of him ever getting to come back, got to me. Him coming back, only for me to find out what he'd been doing some fucked up shit, behind my back, brought me down so hard, I still don't think I've truly recovered.

I've also just been given the great news by my doctor, that he'd rather not give me anything else to deal with my issues, cause he's already tried so many different prescriptions to help me get a few hours sleep and none of them work. So, every day, it just feels like I am getting more and more worn out, and just feel like screaming, but it's not in my nature to just let it out, I'm more the type of person who prefers to hold it all in. I know I come across here bitching about every bloody problem that comes up in my life, and frankly, that's not who I want to be.

I just want to vent a little, or a lot, as this is about ten times as much as I truly wanted to say. I just want to be able to just stop, take a deep breath, and deal with all these problems, and it just doesn't feel like I'm going to get that shot, as no matter what I'll do, it just feels like these problems will follow me, and more will come along.

Sorry for the incredibly long, rambling post.

I know I come across here bitching about every bloody problem that comes up in my life, and frankly, that's not who I want to be.

I just want to vent a little, or a lot, as this is about ten times as much as I truly wanted to say. I just want to be able to just stop, take a deep breath, and deal with all these problems, and it just doesn't feel like I'm going to get that shot, as no matter what I'll do, it just feels like these problems will follow me, and more will come along.

Sorry for the incredibly long, rambling post.

Dude, the fact you at least acknowledge that you use this place to vent is fine. At the end of the day, we're a community and if we can at least offer you moral support, then hopefully that will help you through your problems. And you're not alone - I have susbstantial professional & financial issues. At the moment, they're not bad enough for me to use this thread, but my mother (an accountant) was on the verge of tears when she analysed my finances for the rest of the year! Not the greatest middle act to a birthday weekend, but I prefer to be stoic in the face of adversity. That being said, don't feel bad that you post as a means of venting - often it's good to just get it all off your chest.

In short: chin up, lad!

Got my results for the year back, and this is going to seem real petty but I'm more than slightly pissed. We do four modules a year, one of which I already finished with 77% (Media Culture 1). Now I got my main projects for Video Media (70%) and Journalism & Public Communication back (74%). That overall average is a good first all around, totally makes up for some slightly lower marks for lesser projects earlier, couldn't be happier. So why the fuck is my research project for Media Culture 2, which my tutors had no problem with at the time, getting 58% (2-2)? Seriously, I'm reading the feedback and it feels like I have a better understanding of the theory than the guy who marked it. The guy is also one of the people who marked my MC1 stuff so highly, and it's not like I've changed what I'm doing.

It just fucks over my overall grade for the year, and most of the complaints seem really petty. He complains that I don't expand or talk about stuff when I do, just not that the point he's writing the note. There's stuff in there about referencing which he says is wrong but I researched and understood to be correct. Like, if a book references another text then you reference the book you actually read, not the one the other author did. Otherwise it's plagiarism, claiming knowledge and research you didn't do. Stupid shit like that fucking my overall score. I badly want to go back and yell at the guy for shitting on my work like this. I didn't enjoy that module at all, I thought it was complete bullshit that had nothing to do with what I signed on to the course for, but I clearly know what I'm doing in it based on my MC1 grade and I worked pretty damn hard on the thing overall.

Might go have a chat with the guy direct, point out how out of keeping with the rest of my grades it is. Not saying I arrogantly assume all my work is of the same quality, but that's a hell of a gap. The biggest since I got 51% for an exam last year because our replacement tutor taught us the wrong exam most of the term.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as you know, it's been a pretty stressful time for me, my life which should be pretty low on a stress level, is actually pretty fucked up.

Anyway, I felt pretty damn bad earlier, and took a sleeping pill to help me sleep for a bit just to deal with the issues in my life.

Neighbours upstairs constantly banging on the floor, and dropping what sounds like a fucking wardrobe on their floor,right above my living room. And also my furnished flat living room being a in a state where you can't move anything, it's that packed and tidy feeling.

So, I take the pill and wake up, and check my e-mails saying I missed a driving appointment. I've rebooked it for Thursday, but I'm just shocked at how stupid I was for forgetting that was going to happen today. Fuck.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to go into detail. But some really bad shit has just completely fucked up my life, and I'm not going to be on very much for a while. I'm also debating closing my Facebook page for a while, just for a little while, I feel like I need to be alone.

It just seems like life wants to royally fuck things up for those around me.

Take care of yourself, Austen, but remember there are people here for you if you need us.

Austen, if you ever need to talk, just let me know. For right now, hugs and I'm sure everything will take a turn for the better sooner than later.

Thanks.

I'm not going to go into detail, but this is just a total shock to the system turn of events that I am still kind of finding it hard to deal with, and still trying to fix, anyway I can. It's also put my stupid personal problems into a sort of perspective, and made me realise how all the stuff I've been complaining about non-stop recently, aren't really that bad.

So, back when I was in High School, there was a girl, a year older than me, from a really bad family, dumber than a bag of hammers, but generally nice enough. Fast forward to last year, when I moved back into the area, she has a little girl, about a year old then. The little girl has a broken leg, and while I'm working my uniformed job, I make small talk, ask how it happened. She says the dog jumped up and got her. Fair enough, I think to myself. A few months later, the baby has a broken arm. Basically, the same explanation, at this point, were this my child, the dog would have taken a fucking bullet to the head, but I digress. Every time the little kid comes in, there's some bruise or scrape.

It hardly takes a genius to see what's going on.

This June I bust Mom shoplifting. No big deal, not the first time she's had law trouble. Finally, today, I see that some mutual Facebook friends I have with her are getting posts from Mom about how much the two year old loved them. I ask around and it turns out that a couple of days ago, the toddler died. Because, as the story from mom goes, baby was trying to climb a dresser, and it tipped over on top of her. A thirty pound two year old pulled a dresser on top of herself. Obviously, the police are investigating, but the whole thing just sickens me to no end.

Best part? Mom is pregnant again!

Fuck this planet.

My uncle (a doctor) used to tell me about how, when he used to work at hospitals in Alabama and Missouri, there were lots of low-income families (most of them immigrants with more than 4-5 kids) who would actually keep one of their children sick at a time so they could qualify for special financial support from the government. Some people are seriously fucked up.

That story, though... man. I feel for you, Preston. That's absolutely terrible.