The "I need to vent" thread

Missy

For the fourth year in a row, my parents forgot my birthday. They go to Arizona this time, every year. And every year they forget. The last few years, Michelle has seen me getting upset and reminded them. This year, I told her not to, and got a group text from my dad about how great their lunch was and nothing else.

I know so much better than to let it bother me, but every time it crushes me. 

I had a great 30th birthday yesterday (thanks to many, many forumites for the well wishes, by the way), but I still went to bed with a bad taste in my mouth because I was forgotten, again. 

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I don't want gifts, I just want them to remember me. 

Edited by Preston

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dude, no offense, but if your biggest problem is your favorite podcast covering an especially terrible movie, then your life is pretty chill. If you have worse problems, then hey, chin up, your favorite podcast is going to be delivering a very entertaining episode in the next few weeks.

Edited by dc20willsave

• 1 month later...

What do you do when you see a female colleague get rudely corrected by her male boss, even though she was right all along, and then watch as she apologizes for a mistake she never made?

EDIT: He's not just her boss, but the president of the organization. Also, he's not my boss, as I do not work for the company; they rent space in our building, and I provide them IT support.

What do you do when you see a female colleague get rudely corrected by her male boss, even though she was right all along, and then watch as she apologizes for a mistake she never made?

EDIT: He's not just her boss, but the president of the organization. Also, he's not my boss, as I do not work for the company; they rent space in our building, and I provide them IT support.

I had the converse happen to me, a couple of weeks ago. A customer got angry to the point of screaming at my boss over a change in ticket prices. She got even angrier over the fact that she ,personally, did not get at least six months notice over the price change. My boss (who had no control over ticket prices) paid the $15 for her and her two children. The older of the two had gone away when she saw that mommy was about to throw a fit. Mommy dearest told my boss it was his fault her daughter got embarrassed by her tantrum. I took solace in the daughter not wearing her mothers glasses tinted so that every problem is a Lifetime Original leve crisis.

• 2 weeks later...

So today, driving my son and his teammate home from baseball, the brakes went out on the car. Like, completely out. Thankfully i was able to realize it before we got moving too fast and was able to maneuver into the parking lot. So, I was a little shaken up and since we spent 1500 fixing that car up 2 months ago and swore we weren't going to spend any more money on it, I think I dropped 30,000+ on a Prius today.

I will be shitfaced within the hour.

Thanks. Yeah, it turns out brake lines are actually really affordable (as far as fixing cars is concerned) so we're happy we got the loaner Prius for the weekend and will be able to return it tomorrow and pay 150 bucks to fix the brake line. New car in August when our van is paid off.

• 1 month later...

So, I'm off to have a bit of surgery in a couple of hours.  Nothing life threatening or the like, but something that does need to be done.  Yeah, not exactly the best of times.  I've been dealing with things since NYE, so a bit of time has passed.  Yet, it didn't really hit me until I woke up this morning.  Yeah, not happy about this.  Not at all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I live in a university community. As such, I expect I will see a lot of foot traffic and jaywalking as I am driving through campus on the way to or home from work. It's a trade-off of taking the most direct route.

What blows my mind is that idiots who are driving think it is appropriate to stop their car in the middle of the street and block traffic to let someone out.

Seriously? You can't pull into a parking lot?

• 1 month later...

My school is a distributed learning school within a regular school district. That means that, even though students have access to their courses all year, there are not teachers there to mark over the summer.

Every year, there's a student who fucks up so royally and consistently that they end up having to redo a course. Take the one I'm marking for right now, for example: she has decided to attempt English 11 as an entire course. I have marked about 20% of it and there has not been ONE. SINGLE. CAPITAL. LETTER. There is also nary an apostrophe I will re-iterate. This girl has taken an entire English 11 course and has, as of yet, never hit the shift key or any punctuation other than a period or comma.

Painful.

You and Shana need to swap stories. She teaches college English and comes home all the time with stories of students who've typed essays on their phone (complete with texting shorthand), who've written multi-page documents without paragraph breaks, who randomly use exclamation points, and so on. And we're not talking first-year college students (who, admittedly, should know better); we're talking second-semester / second-year students who received faculty approval to advance to the next level. There's a systemic "meh, push 'em through" attitude that's gross and does a horrible disservice to the students, their education, and any chance they have at advancing in their careers.

7 hours ago, The Master said:

You and Shana need to swap stories. She teaches college English and comes home all the time with stories of students who've typed essays on their phone (complete with texting shorthand), who've written multi-page documents without paragraph breaks, who randomly use exclamation points, and so on. And we're not talking first-year college students (who, admittedly, should know better); we're talking second-semester / second-year students who received faculty approval to advance to the next level. There's a systemic "meh, push 'em through" attitude that's gross and does a horrible disservice to the students, their education, and any chance they have at advancing in their careers.

Ha! Definitely.

On 8/30/2017 at 1:02 PM, The Master said:

There's a systemic "meh, push 'em through" attitude that's gross and does a horrible disservice to the students, their education, and any chance they have at advancing in their careers.

One of the main reasons our educational system is a joke in this country. I watch videos on Facebook of how students in, say, Japan attend school and I just marvel at how many light years away we are from even approaching that level of quality.