The "I need to vent" thread

Missy

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mkay. The last 24 hours have been... interesting.

Remember the friend of my mom's that had fallen into a coma? Well, it turns out she died sometime in the last few days, and the funeral is tomorrow. I can only hope that the death was quick, because I can only imagine how horrible it must have been for her family to be in the hospital over Christmas.

As if that wasn't bad enough, at the family gathering last night, Grandma, through an uncle I thought was near and dear to my heart, attacked our family for switching churches, moving from the bugfuck nuts WELS to a more mainstream church. This has been a source of contention in the family for a while, but last night it utterly erupted, with my grandma, among other things, telling my father that he was leading us and my sisters to hell, and blaming my mother for all of it, claiming that she was at fault for "always looking for something different, something better". This resulted in a huge fight that ended up taking the better part of two hours.

Now, as if this wasn't enough, my dad and I get a letter from the same uncle who started it all. Posted in full as follows:

--

Upon evaluating your reasons for switching churches I am going to decline your invitation to visit your new church. I've seen these "feel good" religions before and I can see why this one in particular would appeal to high powered politicians. Everyday they are faced with tough decisions and it's comforting to know that the decision was guided by God. However all too often it is used as justification for bad decisions or behavior. The means never justifies the end. Back handed dealing, bending laws and rules is never right in achieving a desired outcome. I don't know your church body's intentions and they may be noble and right. But in one case we caught a pastor from one of these types of churches stealing and he justified it saying it was the Lord's way of providing for his family. He couldn't just work harder or accept the burden, no he used God as a way of justifying his bad behavior. I'm pretty sure the Holy Ghost had nothing to do with it. Bernie Ebbers from Enron did the same thing. He used to hold a prayer service before all the board meetings and even when the company was being investigated he said they had to pray harder and step up because it was a challange from God, meanwhile he was stealing the shareholders blind.

Examine the doctorine closely and make sure you are not being lulled into this trap. Wrong is wrong. The liberals always have some excuse for justifying their abberant behaviors. Don't get caught up in using religion to justify doing something to promote your career or make and keep new friends. Stand up for what you were taught no matter how tough it becomes. I wouldn't want to be caught sacrificing eternal life for better conditons in human life.

You asked me to be a godparent and commit to the spiritual needs of your children. I can't be swayed from that committment because you feel you are making a better decision for your family now. Mom and Dad as parents and grandparents have also made this comittment and you can't ask us to turn our backs on it now because you didn't see this day coming.

Hannah, if you are looking for a Lutheran church to join Mount Olive on the north side is the one I joined when I lived in Appleton.

Take care,

Ray

--

So. Yeah.

I'm really debating responding to this.

If so, how do you people suggest I kindly put "Keep me the fuck out of this"?

Merry Fucking Christmas.

Venneh,

I think your family is way out of line. Your religious views are just that: yours. If they have a problem with it, they need to take another look at their own doctrines. I'm not a religious person, but I don't recall their being anything in the religious doctrine saying we should fight amongst ourselves. I do not recall anything that says you must follow this doctrine and only this doctrine. The fundamentals of any given doctrine preach peace and harmony, not fighting and chaos. I don't remember Jesus saying "To love thy brother, but only if they follow this particular branch of Christianity."

Ultimately it is people who corrupt a religion by saying that the way they do things is right and this other way is wrong. Religion should and ought to be whatever brings you closer to whatever higher power you personally believe.

My advice is to tell your family calmly and understandingly that it is your decision and they need to respect whatever decision you make.

There is a quote from Buddha that I feel sums up how I feel about this: hate is not conquered by hat: hate is conquered by love. This is a law eternal.

Okay, now I will get off my soapbox.

I hope things get better for you very soon, Venneh.

venneh, if you can stay the hell out of the fight, I'd recommend doing that.

Leave the room and let them deal with it themselves.

That's probably what your doing anyway.

Why is it that i am stressed out, when I have nothing to be stressed about.

I've been so tired the last few days and just feel so hollow for some reason, and I don't know why.

There is a quote from Buddha that I feel sums up how I feel about this: hate is not conquered by hat: hate is conquered by love. This is a law eternal.

Erin, I agree with that quote but something tells me quoting Buddha to him wouldn't help. :)

In other unrelated news, they need to start offering Nyquil in a 2 liter option.

Amen. I feel like god shit me out right now.

Three things

First: My extended family and friends played our annual shinny game at the local arena today and while it was fun as all hell, going full tilt for two hours takes a lot out of you (we do play 5 a side and switch in and out but you're on the ice more often than not.)

Second: I'm unsure as to what I want to do for New Years. I got no current plans as of now on what to do. I need to go back into town before the end of the month to pay my rent and I'm sure I could find something to do while in town even if I have no plans (maybe I'll go see Vanilla Ice) while out at the lake my options are limited (likely would be hanging out with my bros friends, who will be drinking...I usually don't mesh well there.) On the other hand sticking around at the lake means I get a few more days of relaxation at the house, free meals and such, and another thing I'd look forward to is going to the Keith family's place to watch the Winter Classic on the giant TV (and yes these Keith's are the uncles/aunts/cousins of Duncan Keith of the Blackhawks.)

Third: Money...I am much better off than I was the last time I mentioned it, I had $200 total and needed $400 total just to cover rent/bus pass for the next month. I got $100 from presents and $65 from odd jobs done while out here in addition to like $80 in gift cards. I'm probably still going to ask for some cash for books and such, but I feel better about it.

Well, what a great world we live in where i am financially fucked.

Merry shitmas and a very crappy new year to me.

So to elaborate, my ex-uni took tuition fees from me.

So just to clarify, the uni I left in november took tuition fees from my account, causing it to be overdrawn and are not only the reason for the start of my financial and all round hell of a life, they have now put the final nail in the fucking coffin.

This is my own fault I know that.

Fuck.