The "I need to vent" thread

Missy

Only got like 5 hours of sleep after watching Mania, then bussing across town. Struggled to get up and get to class. It's creative Writing Class, and for no reason we're getting tax tips, followed by a movie, then I get a 2 hour lunch. Why didn't I sleep in?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About a dozen of our students were sitting outside smoking and playing hacky-sack. I went outside to tell them they couldn't hang out there as everyone else (working hard inside) could see them outside having fun doing nothing. I didn't begrudge them, in fact I told them to go somewhere else and hang out.

They followed me inside.

It's twice as busy. :grumble:

So I am going around my city centre with a mate, and we go to (Des see if you've ever been here) Woodlands road, and we see a small independant comic shop place.

I decide to go in and support the indy shop and also maybe get a deal on some back issues I needed.

I will never go back there again.

The shop was overflowing with dust and comics that had just been flung around and not filed. The ones that were filed were in boxes that were so full, you couldn't see what was in them. The orders of comics that week where still in the boxes not put out, how do I know this, becuase the order form was on the fucking comics!

The recent release rack was full to the brim with comics, and not new comics, I saw issues of Batman from early 2007!

The comics were all dusty and although i found an issue of secret six #6 and JSA #1 both were incredibly dusty and the covers smudged and the guy who worked their was a lazy arsehole, my friend and I said loudly across the room to each other what we were looking for, not in a we need help way, but he could have came over and said "Oh, we have some over here..." no, he was too busy listening to his radio and ignoring the only two customers he probably had in a long fucking time.

This is why independant retailers are going out of business because of the reputation people like this tool give indy comic shops, from now on I'm sticking to my local chain forbidden planet for comics as at least they have something, what is that, oh yes a fucking filing system!

I know I shouldn't be mad about this, but if your going to run an independant shop and want to make a profit, then don't have the place looking like a tip that garbagemen look at and say "Oh this ones full, we'll go to another one" I mean fuck.

Suavestar, please come see us on Canada's west coast. We have some of the finest independent comic shops (in Victoria and Vancouver) you're ever likely to see. The Comic Shop on West 4th in Van. is a two story comic mecca. The best comic shop ever:

http://www.thecomicshop.ca/

In Victoria we have three or four comic shops on one street. The flagship being Curious Comics:

http://curious.bc.ca/

A clean, professional, well run establishment with a great selection. A real family joint.

Then there's Legend Comics, Yellowjacket Comics and one other. These shops are more hardcore geeky with kind of a handcrafted vibe; original art on the walls, wooden shelving and old fashioned spinner racks. They are all enthusiastic and know their shit. I've picked up some obscure european stuff from Yellowjacket and Gaiman's Mr. Punch from Legends.

Suavestar, don't paint all the independents with the same brush. There are some great comic shops out there. Look around you.

I can even think of one in Glasgow.

A1Comics is on Parnie Street about a ten minute walk from that shithole Forbidden Planet. I don't remember the owner's name but I do know he was nice enough to point out that Frank Quitely was standing right next to me. The store is cluttered but still quite nice.

Oh I am not trying to paint all independant comic shops with the same brush.

I'm just saying he is giving indpendent ones a really bad name.

A1comics is great Des and that's where I've been getting great deals on recent released back issues.

I just was really annoyed at how poorly handled that one place was, all I can really do now is never go back there.

I never meant to say all independent comic shops are shitholes, I'm just saying it's places like that, that give the goood and actually really nice independent ones a really bad name.

I have this sharp pain running from my chest to my left arm, and my hands and fingers are numb. Doesn't sound like something I should mess with, but I don't have insurance.

If I croak, I want someone to spread my ashes over Lake Michigan. No real reason. I just like the idea of someone going to the effort.

Sorry Dubs, but screw not having insurance. You don't mess with that kind of pain, especially when it's centered in your chest and you can't feel your hands and fingers (has that last part been going on long?).

It all started this morning.

Is this serious pain or just sort of a on/off throbbing and numbness? I don't mean to be the guy who gets blamed for giving the bad advice here but you are the best judge of your own condition an no-one here can say for sure what the deal is based on a couple of lines of dialogue. If you're worried then don't mess around but if you want to wait to see if it goes away thats entirely up to you. I am a hypochondriac myself, and often convince myself that what I have is worse than what it actually is. Then again sometimes I'm right. Its down to you. At least make sure that the people around you are aware.

Is this serious pain or just sort of a on/off throbbing and numbness? I don't mean to be the guy who gets blamed for giving the bad advice here but you are the best judge of your own condition an no-one here can say for sure what the deal is based on a couple of lines of dialogue. If you're worried then don't mess around but if you want to wait to see if it goes away thats entirely up to you. I am a hypochondriac myself, and often convince myself that what I have is worse than what it actually is. Then again sometimes I'm right. Its down to you. At least make sure that the people around you are aware.

Basically what Stavros said.

Dubs if your in serious pain, please get to a hospital.