Missy

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heh.

I've seen way too much mob logic/idiocy when I've been in groups of large people, that's all. :P

To quote Kay from Men in Black "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." Truer words were never spoken. I could go on and on about how much I hate pandering to the masses, but then my blood would boil. Actually, if the masses were smart and selfless, then I would be fine pandering to them.

Yeah, those energy drinks turn blood to treacle, you should probably stop with those.

Unfortunately, they're a necessary evil. Since I don't sleep, they're the only thing that gets me moving. The doctor even told me I needed the caffiene due to my low blood pressure.

I'm not one of those three can a day types though. That would be insane.

Yeah, those energy drinks turn blood to treacle, you should probably stop with those.

Unfortunately, they're a necessary evil. Since I don't sleep, they're the only thing that gets me moving. The doctor even told me I needed the caffiene due to my low blood pressure.

Drink tea instead. It's got antioxidants and is a helluva lot better for you than soda or energy drinks.

Drink tea instead. It's got antioxidants and is a helluva lot better for you than soda or energy drinks.

And it's delightfully civilised, what what.

While dealing with a reasonably drunk douche-bag tonight, he had the common courtesy to call me a "Piece of Shit" before he moved to the obligatory "Fat-Ass", I'd be pissed if I wasn't so impressed with the results of my exercise regiment.

So. Apparently my grandma wants to come up from Fond du Lac after her and Grandpa's dentist appointment and have lunch/dinner with me.

On the one hand, I'll be glad for the free food.

On the other hand, I have this nagging feeling it has a lot to do with the fact that I, through legitimate conflicts, have not been at the last two family gatherings (Easter and my cousin's bridal shower), and the whole religion thing's going to come up.

[...] and the whole religion thing's going to come up.

1) Do your grandparents support you financially?

2) Is either grandparent a clergy-person?

3) Were you once Amish?

I get that religious differences in families can be tense, to say the very least, but I don't think it's something to be concerned about. That's not meant to sound glib or over-simplified, just frank.

To catch you up on the situation as it stands currently:

Mkay. The last 24 hours have been... interesting.

As if that wasn't bad enough, at the family gathering last night, Grandma, through an uncle I thought was near and dear to my heart, attacked our family for switching churches, moving from the bugfuck nuts WELS to a more mainstream church. This has been a source of contention in the family for a while, but last night it utterly erupted, with my grandma, among other things, telling my father that he was leading us and my sisters to hell, and blaming my mother for all of it, claiming that she was at fault for "always looking for something different, something better". This resulted in a huge fight that ended up taking the better part of two hours.

Now, as if this wasn't enough, my dad and I get a letter from the same uncle who started it all. Posted in full as follows:

--

Upon evaluating your reasons for switching churches I am going to decline your invitation to visit your new church. I've seen these "feel good" religions before and I can see why this one in particular would appeal to high powered politicians. Everyday they are faced with tough decisions and it's comforting to know that the decision was guided by God. However all too often it is used as justification for bad decisions or behavior. The means never justifies the end. Back handed dealing, bending laws and rules is never right in achieving a desired outcome. I don't know your church body's intentions and they may be noble and right. But in one case we caught a pastor from one of these types of churches stealing and he justified it saying it was the Lord's way of providing for his family. He couldn't just work harder or accept the burden, no he used God as a way of justifying his bad behavior. I'm pretty sure the Holy Ghost had nothing to do with it. Bernie Ebbers from Enron did the same thing. He used to hold a prayer service before all the board meetings and even when the company was being investigated he said they had to pray harder and step up because it was a challange from God, meanwhile he was stealing the shareholders blind.

Examine the doctorine closely and make sure you are not being lulled into this trap. Wrong is wrong. The liberals always have some excuse for justifying their abberant behaviors. Don't get caught up in using religion to justify doing something to promote your career or make and keep new friends. Stand up for what you were taught no matter how tough it becomes. I wouldn't want to be caught sacrificing eternal life for better conditons in human life.

You asked me to be a godparent and commit to the spiritual needs of your children. I can't be swayed from that committment because you feel you are making a better decision for your family now. Mom and Dad as parents and grandparents have also made this comittment and you can't ask us to turn our backs on it now because you didn't see this day coming.

Hannah, if you are looking for a Lutheran church to join Mount Olive on the north side is the one I joined when I lived in Appleton.

Take care,

Ray

--

So. Yeah.

But in short, no to all three.

This is the kind of shit that makes me crazy about religion: your nuclear and extended family practice similar Christianity-based faiths (if I'm reading this right), yet your new parish is different in some way (seems to me, perhaps, that it is more liberal) that makes the extended family upset.

WTF. Seriously.

It really gets my goat that people who claim to be deeply religious can be so petty and back-biting.

Good luck navigating this mess, Hannah.

(Also it's not stuck in the 18th/19th centuries, that helps a lot.)

Here's the kicker about the whole thing; the primary argument is between my grandmother and my father, and they're involving us only to make the other feel guilty about what they're doing.

So, here's hoping Grandma doesn't try and make me "choose a side" as she put it at her and Grandpa's anniversary.

I'm getting very pissed at GoDaddy not forwarding my domain. They sent me a link to help me and it's full of stuff I've already done more than once. I'm telling people on my podcast to go to a website that doesn't exist. I've bought around 30 domains from them, but if this isn't fixed soon I'm not using them anymore.

I'm getting very pissed at GoDaddy not forwarding my domain. They sent me a link to help me and it's full of stuff I've already done more than once. I'm telling people on my podcast to go to a website that doesn't exist. I've bought around 30 domains from them, but if this isn't fixed soon I'm not using them anymore.

Call them, dude. Seriously. They are great on the phone.

I cannot believe how godawful The Daily Show is anymore. Nothing about it is funny, Jon Stewart's "make a quip and stay silent and smile for 5 seconds" routine is beyond old at this point, and it's a chore to try and watch. Stewart, in particular, just seems to be scraping the bottom of the barrel to think of something for which to make fun of conservatives nowadays since Obama is there now and he can't think of anything else to say because he verbally fellates any Democrat he can think of.

I seriously think the last truly funny episode of The Daily Show I watched had Craig Kilborn in it.