The "I need to vent" thread

Missy

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know, I know. And I'm well aware of that. I think some of the backlash of your post has been ridiculous, in it's own right. We may not agree, but no need for the world to jump down your throat.

Meh, semantics. Who cares, man? Things will be what they'll be, no sense getting worked up.

Japanese class this year has been an exercise in frustration.

Our teacher is fresh out of either grad school, or undergrad, not sure which. He expects us to learn all the grammar points and be able to do homework on them before we come into class, which is, to say the least, incredibly irritating. (Not to mention the times he expects us to do homework for grammar points we won't be covering until four or so days later, which is the equivalent of two class sessions with him.) It also reduces class to what he expects to be a review session, but is, for us, actually trying to understand how the hell the grammar actually works. It also messes with our ability to get halfway decent grades on the homework assignments, as nine times out of ten, we don't understand what we're doing. This part of the class is the Monday/Wednesday/Friday session.

The drill sessions that happen on the morning on Tuesday/Thursdays used to be useful. The TA would go over the homework with us and at least try to help us understand it, and, in addition, do the occasional dialogue drill and review for review tests. This term, though, he's having us turn in homework MWF and taken away the dialogue drills, which makes these 8:30 drill sessions more or less another a repeat of everything we did in class the day before, and takes away most of my motivation to go to them. He only just recently made attending these sessions part of the attendance grade, so I actually have to go, but most of us aren't awake or are just irritated at the fact of how useless this part of the class has become.

I and others have made complaints about the way that the class is taught on the teacher feedback forms we have to fill out every term, but there's been little to no change in how the class is taught, and it's pretty much sucking all of my motivation to continue in the sequence. There admittedly is only one more official class (because we share a department with Chinese, and the head of the department is ethnically Chinese and has sworn that as long as he's head, there will never be a Japanese major), but that's probably going to be taught by him. I just have to be able to get through that, though, and I can schedule tutorials with the other Japanese teacher in order to prepare to go to Japan for my fall term senior year.

But, yeah. Teachers who don't actually teach are incredibly irritating.

Okay, what the fuck up with this nostalgia thing that the whole fucking world is on? I fucking love the things from my childhood but they don't fucking supersede the idea of any new fucking things entering my life. I just bought a bottle of Pepsi Throwback, Pepsi's attempt to cash-in on the nostalgia train. It has cane sugar instead of corn syrup. Woopty-Fucking-Doo! Jones has been doing it for SO MANY YEARS!!! It's nothing new. However, there is no taste difference. Sodium and carbs are the only place where anything is different and I don't fucking care about either of those in the least bit. Is originality dead and no one told me? Do we have to resort to remaking fucking Drop Dead Fred? The movie came out less 20 years ago and was less than awesome! It's because some hot young studio exec remembered the movie fonly from when he was 10 and now that he's in charge, he wants to fucking remake it despite it bombing in the fucking first place. How long before they remake The Lizzie McGuire movie? You laugh now but when Hollywood has made fucking Saw 21, they'll be so bankrupt for ideas that we will see it in theaters and 30-year old women will drag their daughters to see it because they loved Lizzie when they were kids so they're sure their children will love it also and the fucking cycle will continue until originality is dead, dead, DEAD! We killed it! This is not to say that nostalgia is bad. Battlestar Galactica and Beast Wars come to mind as things the were filled with nostalgia but built upon it instead of just being fucking there because people were lazy. So, yeah, I'll blame that on the fact that executives are lazy and want to go with what is proven but as much of it is our own fucking fault for viewing our childhood through rose-tinted glasses. Yeah, 90210 sucked then and it sucks now. Get over it!

So the moral of the story is: remakes all suck except the ones you like.

Got it.

I'm not so much saying that so much as I'm saying there are too many movies, TV shows, and products built to feed upon that nostalgia factor. VH-1's "I Love the____" series does well because people like to look back fondly upon their youth. That's not necessarily bad. My problem is that it has been taken to the logical conclusion that people want to see this stuff once more. If the Drop Dead Fred remake is awesome, I will be the first to come on here, admit to it,. But, mainly, I just wish I hadn't been taken in by this bottle of Pepsi that tastes like normal Pepsi except it's marketed towards people like myself that believe nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

To be fair, the Pepsi thing tastes vastly different to me. I don't even drink Pepsi because of its synthetic flavor. Coke is much more authentic tasting. The cane sugar makes a major difference in both flavor and health.

And Hollywood has been remaking things since the beginning. The very first films ever were adaptations of stage dramas and one of the first movies ever made was Frankenstein by Thomas Edison which has been "remade" about 70-odd times by now.

What bugged me about the House of Wax remake is that everyone was talking about the Vincent Price original and how they wanted to be faithful yet do something new when the Price film was a remake itself.

Look, films will be remade but as long as they remake shit that can't get much worse like Drop Dead Fred and move away from classics, I'll be happy. The Drop Dead Fred remake actually sounds more like a Monkey Bone remake to me.

So I paid my $37 hospital bill and thought all was done.

But I was wrong. That was just my first bill. I got my second one yesterday... for 700 fucking dollars. At that price, I should have had an actual heart attack.

Fuck you, American health care system.

EDIT: And I just got another one for 400. Fuck this.

So, my customer service manager calls me at 5:00-ish today because apparently this woman I sold a concert ticket to last night came into the store today about an hour and a half after I clocked out ranting and claiming I said her ticket was for tonight's show. She went down to the venue today and the ticket was no good because it was for last night's show.

I said AT LEAST twice, maybe three or four times, yesterday that the show was "tonight" (meaning Friday) at 8:00pm. Not only that, but, um, the TICKET ITSELF SAYS "FRIDAY 8:00pm" on it. Are you illiterate??? Ticketmaster tickets also are categorized by what kind of ticket they are--i.e., Adult, Junior, or L-DOS, which means "DAY OF SHOW". Her ticket had, you guessed it, "L-DOS" on it. Not only that, she SIGNED the yellow block on the ticket (per Ticketmaster policy) saying that it was, indeed, the event she asked for and paid to see. When you initial the ticket(s), you are agreeing that:

a) The ticket is for the correct event.

b) You cannot get a refund for any reason UNLESS the show is cancelled or postponed. Damaged tickets are not refundable, either.

c) You abdicate ANY responsibility on our part if something happens to the ticket or if the ticket is incorrect.

My assistant store manager calls me about 20 minutes ago. The moron called the police because we wouldn't refund her money. My manager explained the Ticketmaster policy to the cops, and they see the signed ticket; and sure enough, they tell the woman the same thing both my managers told her--she is at fault, not us. We can't, and do not have to, refund her money.

I eagerly await to see how this unfolds, but at the same time, I'm lucky I got tomorrow off because I'm almost afraid this dumb bitch will come in with a gun or something. In my part of town, I wouldn't be shocked.

Have I mentioned how much I love my job lately...?

So I was bored and had a new episode of Simpsons on.

Maggie talked.

MAGGIE TALKED.

FUCK. THIS. SHIT.

Um...she already has talked before. Elizabeth Taylor voiced her one word.

And besides, the writers of that show are utterly exhausted for ideas, so they have to scrape the moldy sides of the creativity well to get anything they can. This show jumped the shark roughly 9 years ago.

So I was bored and had a new episode of Simpsons on.

Maggie talked.

MAGGIE TALKED.

FUCK. THIS. SHIT.

To be fair, it was an anthology episode, not a normal one. The same episode has Homer as a classical actor in Macbeth, Selma as Elizabeth 1, and Lisa as Snow White. It's out of continuity so it worked.