Joss Whedon's Dollhouse

annericelover

Now I'm not sure if it's just a coincedence that the day Tru Calling has a marathon, I find out information about a new series with Eliza Dushku. The series is called "Dollhouse, " Dushku plays Echo, she is part of a group of people whose minds are imprinted to perform task and as soon as they are done, their minds are wiped clean and they have no knowledge of what they've done. Dushku in this case begins to remember or keep memories of things she does. It set to premiere on FOX later this year, after the Strike is over with. For more info, go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollhouse_%28TV_series%29

The series is produced and created by Jodd Whedon, who had his hand in creating Buffy, Angel and even Alien: Resurrection. Definately worth a watch.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
Fuck me, that's Katcha from Neighbours.

God if it really is her, than the show will be all kinds of sucktitude, she was a terrible, terrible actress.

*Edit: IMDB shows Amy Acker in the cast, but she isn't in that picture? Would like to see her again in something... The Alias Spin Off would have been cool, but oh well.

Oh and Eliza Dushku is the shit, so you all better get a whiff! :)

Dollhouse is going to air with only 5 minutes of commercials per episode.

"It's a simple concept and potentially revolutionary," Fox Entertainment Chairman Peter Liguori said. "We're going to have less commercials, less promotional time, and less reason for viewers to use the remote. We're going to redefine the viewing experience."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...9a87bf4b8eab495

Ch10 here in Australia has done a version of that for the past 2 or so years. Instead of the standard 3.5 - 4 minutes of ad's each break, they'll insert a 30 or 60 second break (so only 1 or 2 ad's) into the middle section of the show. It's just smart business. They get to charge A LOT more for those ad's as the penetration is so much more. As the show goes to air a message comes up stating "don't go anywhere, this is a REALLY short break"... You dont' risk the channel surf, toilet break, etc.

Of course 5 minutes of ad's during the show, means the start and end of the timeslot will be full of ad's. But good on FOX for trying something new, even if it is only to make more money :)

I'm still not sure what to make of this. One of the strengths of Joss's shows was that the ground state for the characters was thier strength, they were a group who just hung out like friends and had a joint mission statement. This show doesn't look like it has that, I don't know who is right or wrong and everyone might have a different objective. Its much closer to Alias in my mind, and thats fine but we'll have to see how it turns out.

• 5 months later...
Apparently Fox is not going to air that original pilot at all. Whedon himself explains in a post on his worship-site, Whedonesque.com:

The original pilot was in fact thrown out. Again, at my behest. Once it became clear what paradigm the Network was shooting for, it just didn't fit at all, even after I'd reshot more than half of it (see above re: despair). To get a sense of how completely turned around I was during this process, you should know there was a scene with Eliza and the astonishing Ashley Johnson that I wrote and shot completely differently three different times, with different characters in different places (actually I wrote it closer to eight times), and none of it will ever see air.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38884

So he wanted to reshoot the pilot because he ............... wanted to? Come on Fox saw it, didn't like it and then Whedon scrambled to put something together.

Yup. No writer, not even Whedon has the power to throw away a pilot to reshoot it. If Aaron Sorkin gave West Wing to NBC (?) and they wanted it but he said "let me have another shot," they would say no.

The pilot was bad news.

According to him, it wasn't what Fox was looking for so he rewrote it, reshot it, and it still wasn't what they wanted so he scrapped it. He knew what he was getting into when he signed with Fox. He should have kept all creative control after the shit they pulled last time. He needs to not worry about what he thinks they want, and do what he wants.

• 2 weeks later...