Nightmare on Elm Street remake

Not that ive seen this confirmed anywhere but this past weekend in the Sun newspaper there was a little snippet saying that Michael Rosenbaum (sp?), of Smallville fame, was playing Freddy. No idea where that was from though which seems weird

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll eat my words if I'm wrong but NoES was very nearly perfect. A remake with Englund would be a bad idea let alone one without. Craven's only great film. Keep remaking shit like Prom Night and April Fool's Day because those sucked. Remake Friday the 13th even because Jason fucks people up regardless of what continuity it is in. But I cringe at the thought of the comedy they'll infuse into this film.

:no:

Well, Rosenbaum IS a very talented actor, at least.

I'll grant you that point, but there's no reason for a 20 something tween drama actor to be cast as an old burnt pedophile.

Well, no-one screams paedophile more than Shia LeBeouf....

Seriously, that guy's younger than I am. Whilst Rosenbaum would look like an odd Freddy unburnt, I think he could do *a* good job. Then again, the remake would probably kill all of what made the original film good. Especially if Michael fucking Bey is involved.

Much of what made the original Nightmare On Elm Street so chilling was that the film was a reflection of America's growing fear of child abduction, and child molestation that permeated the media throughout much of the early 80's due to the Adam Walsh abduction and murder in 1981. The film plays to parents greatest fear of not being able to protect their child, while at the same time visually representing a child's greatest fear "the boogeyman". I think this film struck a chord with the public and it's growing paranoia of the subject at the time which in turn made it as effective as it was as a horror movie.

I am not saying that this fear isn't still relevant today but it just dosen't seem to be at the same level it was in the 80's. Today it seemed to have shifted to internet predator's spying on teenagers which you could possibly translate Freddy into, but i don't think i would want to see it. Also, I am sure the people involved in the remake aren't even aware of the subtext of the original, and will make the mistake of delving into the characters backstory, and motivations while trying to create a somewhat sympathetic portrayal of the villian.

• 4 months later...
The Powers That Be have wrangled Wesley Strick to script New Line's NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET revisitation. Strick's previous credits include Scorsese's CAPE FEAR, the DOOM movie, and Phillip Noyce's big screen adaptation of THE SAINT.

The new project will keep the high school setting and delve deeper in the psychology of nightmares and Krueger himself. The plan is to have a dark tone. The company hopes to have the movie ready for the 25th anniversary of the original.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37593

Sloth does love his sodomy signatures.

Well, when they're offered up so freely by Des and your good self, it seems reasonable to spread the word. The word about...sodomy...

On topic: Unlike Halloween, Texas Chainsaw and the past remakes, I might actually go see this and the Friday 13th remakes, just because I dig Freddy and Jason. Then again, I might torrent it instead just so that my money doesn't end up in the coffers of Michael Bay.

• 2 weeks later...

We seem to have a new Freddy:

Says Englund.....

Thornton To Star In Nightmare On Elm Street Remake

13 August 2008 12:35 AM, PDT

Billy Bob Thornton will star as Freddy Krueger in a new Nightmare On Elm Street movie.

The 53-year-old actor will take on the chilling role in a remake of the 1984 original.

Robert Englund, who played the part in eight films, revealed that Thornton will star in the horror films and is an "excellent choice" for the role.

He adds, "A big budget should mean the film will look a lot better than some of the old movies."

If true, I quite like that bit of casting. But to pick up on the last line, if Krueger doesn't look more deformed than Eckhart's scarred side in The Dark Knight, then something's very wrong.

We seem to have a new Freddy:

Says Englund.....

Thornton To Star In Nightmare On Elm Street Remake

13 August 2008 12:35 AM, PDT

Billy Bob Thornton will star as Freddy Krueger in a new Nightmare On Elm Street movie.

The 53-year-old actor will take on the chilling role in a remake of the 1984 original.

Robert Englund, who played the part in eight films, revealed that Thornton will star in the horror films and is an "excellent choice" for the role.

He adds, "A big budget should mean the film will look a lot better than some of the old movies."

If true, I quite like that bit of casting. But to pick up on the last line, if Krueger doesn't look more deformed than Eckhart's scarred side in The Dark Knight, then something's very wrong.

Billy Bob Thornton is a good choice as he could almost be a pervert and a child killer. I think it's a solid piece of casting. The new advances in CGI should make him look almost as good as Two-Face. I wonder how sick and deformed they would make him look, but also make sure BBT can still have the sly grin that he can do, and you can see his eyes in his performance.

Wow that was a lot of work just to say "good casting"