The Music Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alice in Chains and Soundgarden have always been my 1a and 1b favorite bands of the 90's. "Spoonman" is maybe my favorite song ever. No joke.

Really? I have never had any love for Spoonman. It is a great song but got too much airplay I think. (I absolutely HATE Black Hole Sun) I had seen Soundgarden play Spoonman live three or four times, including once with the actual Spoon Man himself, and still didn't like it.

But when I saw Audioslave in Glasgow perform it, I fell in love with it, including a solo acoustic version of Black Hole Son. And admittedly, I don't like Audioslave. Weird.

I think Soundgarden is the best band of the past 25 years.

How can you talk about that period of music without mentioning Pearl Jam? Thats just plain wrong!

I love Audioslave, shame Cornell left the band. Oddly enough I don't like Cornell's new album. I love Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog and Audioslave but hate his solo work. Also I found this acoustic album of Cornell from when he was still with Audioslave. It was promoting the revealtions album, it's awesome.

I like Pearl Jam but I think that they are one of the most overrated bands of all time. One of. Nirvana is the most overrated band of all time.

Pretty much, yeah.

But they changed the music industry! Kurt Cobain was the greatest human being in the history of humans!!![/oratory]

Come on now, I can listen to Pearl Jam's first three albums any day of the week and love just about every single track... and while Nirvana probably wasn't deserving of "band of the decade" credentials, they still put out some dynamite shit. Cobain's guitar parts were genius in their simplicity, and the band exploded before their music lost its edge. I'm sure my opinion of them would have changed if he'd survived and kept complaining well into his late 30s, early 40s (like Trent Reznor is doing today) but he didn't and the honesty and anger of their music will forever feel legitimate.

I agree with Nirvana being over hyped but Pearl Jam no way. As DRQ the first few albums were awesome, they went a little off for a while but the latest ablum is fantastic. I think the thing with Nirvana is that they were the portal for a lot of people myself included to get into the whole grunge/punk/alt rock scene. I heard Nirvana liked it and wondered what else was there and I found Pearl Jam and Soundgarden and later on Alice In Chains and Temple of the Dog.

I like Pearl Jam but I think that they are one of the most overrated bands of all time. One of. Nirvana is the most overrated band of all time.

Pretty much, yeah.

But they changed the music industry! Kurt Cobain was the greatest human being in the history of humans!!![/oratory]

Nirvana was hellishly overhyped, but you really can't discount how awful the state of music was in the late 80s. Lord knows I tried - I really tried - to suck it up and like hair metal, but it was just so stupid. Nevermind really was something new, and if people went overboard praising it as the savior of the music industry, I know that I personally saw it at the time as proof that new music didn't necessarily have to suck.

If Bob Mould heard you call Nevermind something new he'd punch you in the nose :)

No, you're right. Nevermind was something new on MTV and commercial radio, although Husker Du and the Melvins (and plenty of others) had been around longer; just without the same kind of exposure. Nirvana was just the band that happened to break through All props should go to who came before.

It was a damn solid album.

You're all wrong, though Hootie and the Blowfish were what really marked the rise of the alternative scene.

Ow!