The Music Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...And Justice For All is the worst album in their discography. There's beginnings of the Black Album on this one but not one song on the album feels complete. They should have really spent more time on this one or taken a break after Cliff died and skipped the album altogther.

Just a complete mess with almost every song including snooze-inducing repetition. Ugh...

The Black Album: Lars' drums have never sounded better, the band sounds BIGGER than any band on earth, the poppy constraints of the writing mixed with the bluesy delivery of the riffs creates possibly the most innovative sound metal had seen to this point. Hetfield FINALLY delivers vocally! God. He's one of my favorite singers but his early album stuff is bleak. Unforgiven, Wherever I May Roam and Nothing Else Matters elevated metal singing more than anyone since Rob Halford. One of their best.

Load-The birth of a singer. While an admittedly uneven album, Hetfield delivers on this one like never before. The songs, especially the first two tracks, are way too long in some cases but I love that they embraced rock instead of just plain metal here. It's got the best "second side" of any record by any band since as far as I'm concerned. Shaky beginning. House that Jack Built, Until It Sleeps and King Nothing are all good but they're essentially the same song. He's really working out his addiction issues on this one. I want them to play Outlaw Torn at my funeral.

Reload might be Metallica's crowning achievement. Musicality, songwriting, production, vocals (superb). Even lesser songs like Prince Charming and Where the Wild Things Are still have a lot that kicks ass about them. MoP is still my favorite but Reload might be their best.

St. Anger. What the fuck were they thinking? Well, they were trying to keep themselves together as a band but they shouldn't have been writing and recording an album while doing that. Bob Rocks production (up until this point? note perfect) sounds about as good as the shitty off the floor recording one of my old bands and I did at Turtle Studios one afternoon. I just want to go back in time, walk into their studio, and loosen that fucking snare drum because I want to puke every time I hear that tinny shit. Hetfield, maybe the best lyricist of our time, lost all impact when you have dumbasses like Kirk Hammett writing lyrics. Sorry Kirk, great guitar player, not the sharpest tool in the shed. This album needed another year and some slicker production. I like Some Kind of Monster, Sweet Amber, Unnamed Feeling and some of Invisible Kid. When I first heard a bootleg of the single St. Anger, I thought I had a rare look at a Metallica demo. It was the completed version. Fucking snare drum.

PS I'm fine if Hetfield wants to work out his alcoholic demons in song, it's worked fine before, but literally putting AA phrases into All Within My hands is about as sad as it gets.

Just went to see Blood Red Shoes, nice little two person drum and guitar combo. Really cool little gig, although pretty damn loud. They were supported by this french group with a fucking amplified cello. The damn thing wouldn't work for a couple of songs and then it kicked in and made everything awesome. Great night out.

• 2 weeks later...

I was browsing the Rock Band Network for new DLC for the game and I decided to give this song by a band called DnA's Evolution a shot. It's called "The Heist" and it's actually really fucking cool. It's got a "Secret Agent Man" kind of vibe to it, but with minimal vocals. They have an mp3 of it available for free on their website: Find it here.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got Genesis- Turn it on again- The Hits. Tracks 2-13 of this album are a huge chunk of my childhood musical tastes, and they're still great, even if there are a few track missing that I'll need to pick up somewhere. Genesis, Dire Straits and Michael Jackson defined my early musical tastes.

• 2 weeks later...

Random thought.

I've come to discover that outside of a few people fucking around on Youtube, no one's gotten around to covering Kenny Loggins' "Danger Zone".

Someone needs to get on that.

• 4 weeks later...