The Music Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished the newest Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson (not sure which, it is really confusing these days) album, Thick as a Brick 2. I have mixed feelings. If this wasn't labeled TAAB2 (horrible abbr. on the cover itself), I think I would've enjoyed this more. Beyond some familiar riffs from TAAB, I don't get the overall connection to the original. Not the greatest album, but still better than the 79-84 years of Tull.

Listened to the newest Aerosmith album, Music From Another Dimension. I went into this with very, very low expectations. They were not met. I have not been a fan of any album since Nine Lives. But this is several steps below their previous worst album. Steven Tyler has completely lost it, the mixing is an odd mix of muted and flat. At one point Aerosmith was my favorite band, so it is just sad to see how far they have fallen. This album is a complete joke.

This album also made me think about TAAB2 some more. I think I appreciate it more now, as Ian Anderson cannot sing like he used to. Yet unlike Steven Tyler, he does not try to. He knows his limitations and goes with it. Tyler is trying to be 1975 Steven Tyler and failing. Badly.

• 2 weeks later...

Heroes, Willie Nelson's new album from 2012 is AWESOME. Great balance of fun songs and real, deep stuff. I've always been more of Johnny Cash guy, but holy fuck:

Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=843dH98Z3PI

Hero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKKMBRwZGI0

And proof that Coldplay's music doesn't suck when Chris Martin isn't involved, a cover of The Scientist. (It would only let me embed two, so there's a link.)