Ian, justify this.

Missy

Quarter of Brits think Churchill was myth: poll

LONDON (AFP) - Britons are losing their grip on reality, according to a poll out Monday which showed that nearly a quarter think Winston Churchill was a myth while the majority reckon Sherlock Holmes was real.

The survey found that 47 percent thought the 12th century English king Richard the Lionheart was a myth.

And 23 percent thought World War II prime minister Churchill was made up. The same percentage thought Crimean War nurse Florence Nightingale did not actually exist.

Three percent thought Charles Dickens, one of Britain's most famous writers, is a work of fiction himself.

Indian political leader Mahatma Gandhi and Battle of Waterloo victor the Duke of Wellington also appeared in the top 10 of people thought to be myths.

Meanwhile, 58 percent thought Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fictional detective Holmes actually existed; 33 percent thought the same of W. E. Johns' fictional pilot and adventurer Biggles.

UKTV Gold television surveyed 3,000 people.

Meh. 68% of the general public is fictional. Plus I'm guessing they were polling people wearing tracksuits.

Ha! As someone who has lived in Glasgow I find this to be the funniest thing ever written on these boards.

Well played, sir.

Whether you call them Chavs or Neds, they are always a source of comedy.

How did the brits ever have an empire much less run it? then again they are the same people that think they have a world class football team.

Thats the English, the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish are under no illusions. Actually most English know we suck at football too.

We have a high percentage of stupid here, I won't deny it, but lets not forget that stupid is almost universal. Except in scandanavia, those guys have like a 100% literacy rate. At least our elected leaders have the appearance of being genuinely clever people who don't need help putting on thier trousers the right way in the morning. We leave that to the Royal Family.

Funny how Leno goes around talking to people on the street (and Rick Mercer a Canadian comedian has "talking to Americans") and American answers are much more ridiculous.

Sure, let's call the British stupid.

To be fair, Leno only does that in Hollywood.

Hollywood is where we send our "special citizens" to live.

Funny how Leno goes around talking to people on the street (and Rick Mercer a Canadian comedian has "talking to Americans") and American answers are much more ridiculous.

Sure, let's call the British stupid.

To be fair, Leno only does that in Hollywood.

Hollywood is where we send our "special citizens" to live.

Hey man, any town I can convince a buxom but innocent corn-fed Nebraskan girl that I'm casting the next Brad Pitt film is good enough for me...

How did the brits ever have an empire much less run it? then again they are the same people that think they have a world class football team.

Firstly, only the England football team and certain media figures think that they're world class. The "British" football team doesn't exist, and even then, it'd be better than the current Yank one. (RACE WAR!)

You're talking about the Brits of the 17th-19th centuries, here. It's like me saying how Americans nowadays see a trip to the West Coast as being akin to the spirit of the frontier age. As sad a reflection of these people's education as that survey is, in no way will it reflect the entire make-up of the population of Britain. Especially if the survey was done by bloody UKtv Gold.... <_<

The Brits made Kate Beckinsale, Billie Piper, Rachel Stevens and the Page 3 Girls.

We made Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, and Lindsay Lohan.

They win.

The only thing we have on them is Kool Aid.