Episode 21

RSS

Hey guys, this is a fun episode to be hearing as it starts a whole new set of cartoons. First off, your right about Superman: The Animated Series being overlooked and underappreciated. For the question on which show does Batgirl and Supergirl appear together, well Supergirl appears in The New Batman Adventures when Livewire goes to Gotham.

Thanks for the tips on The Killing Joke the problem with Ebay is you HAVE to have a credit card. But I will definately keep an eye on what "extras" may occur to make the dollar value worth it.

Now for my review on Superman: The Animated Series Pilot:

The Last Son Of Krypton; wow, terrific episode to first say. Being the pilot episode for a legacy as beig as Superman is tough for anyone to accomplish. Ever since Richard Donner brought us Superman: The Movie, no one has really tried to re-do the origins, feeling why should they re-do what works. So when this episode aired, it was a great redone of the origin. Now while the genesis of the origin is still intact, the Writers took great liberties with what is known. First off, they did to Brainiac what they did to Mr Freeze, they reworked his origin and made that almost as iconic as the comic book counterpart, so much so that newer incarnations like Smallville uses this origin. Brainiac is voiced by Corey Burton and does a great job, having a sinister, robotic sound to him. Christopher McDonald, plays Jor-El and is great in the role, he is also the voice of the "Aged" Superman in the Batman Beyond episode "The Call". Dana Delany, who played Andrea Beaumont in Batman: The Mask of the Phantasm voices Lois Lane and makes Lois her own, she takes what Teri Hatcher and Margot Kidder brought to the role and mixed it up nicely. Tim Daly voices Adult Clark/Superman, Clancy Brown gives a great performance as Lex Luthor(maybe even more so than Gene Hackman).

The first part of the episode takes place on Krypton and allows us to know more about Krypton, than in any other incarnation. The plan to put all the Kryptonians in the Phantom Zone is a brilliant idea, something I'm not sure if it appears in any origin comic story. The animation on this series is much different than that of Batman: The Animated Series , showing exactly how different Batman and Superman are, a difference that will later be shown in crossover episodes.

The Second part of the episode introduces us to Ma and Pa Kent (voiced great by Mike Ferrall and Shelley Fabaras), Lana Lang and Clark's time in Smallville. Not the best of the three parts, but still fun to watch.

The third part of the episode is great and introduces us to Lex Luthor, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen(voiced by David Kauffman), John Corbin who will later appear as Metallo(voiced by the iconic Malcolm McDowell)and Perry White(voiced by George Dzundza, who also voiced The Venquiloquist/Scarface).

This is a great beginning to what will be a great run of episodes, Brainiacs mentality on why he allows Krypton to perish is he feels that if the planet is destroyed his data will be more prescious, more valuable. The voice acting in this pilot as well as the series is great, it shows how much the voice casting was paid attention with(unlike Superman: Doomsday ). The amination is more defined, more colorful.

When this show premiered I was so used to the B: TAS style that I watched Superman: TAS with ewww, but as I got older I found myself enjoying it alot more. Finding myself enjoying characters like Darkseid, Brainiac and of course Lex Luthor.

Other voice talents is James Marsden as Young Clark Kent and Brad Garrett as Bibbo(he will also provide the voice of Lobo; THE MAIN MAN). I didn't much like the DVD sets, each set contains 18 episodes, which in all honesty WB could have just released two sets four disc on each set. I give this full length pilot 7 out of 10, because of the second part.

I've got to say that I was hoping the theme would change to reflect the show being reviewed. I'm a big fan of the Superman animated theme and I think it would really help to individualise this portion of WFP, it just helps the podcast evolve a little to reflect the subject matter. I get why you wouldn't, I really do, but I'd have preferred the changing themes. Plus when the theme changes to something new and great I would mark out a little. When the JL theme becomes the JLU theme I'd just be grinning ear to ear.

Finally got a chance to listen to this one. As always, amazing job, guys.

These three episodes (which I enjoy; I like the fleshed out story, and I LOVE the episode on Krypton) always struck me as the TV equivalent of "writing for the trade". I don't know if you remember, but back when STAS premiered (in 96? I think?), before it started its Saturday morning run, the WB aired these three episodes as a ninety-minute TV movie the Friday before going straight into "Fun and Games" the next morning. I remember distinctly, as I had a two-hour commute home from work back then (don't know what I was thinking) and I was hauling ass to make sure I didn't miss anything. In that format, it works especially well, as you don't notice the lag in the second episode so much.

Finally got a chance to listen to this one. As always, amazing job, guys.

These three episodes (which I enjoy; I like the fleshed out story, and I LOVE the episode on Krypton) always struck me as the TV equivalent of "writing for the trade". I don't know if you remember, but back when STAS premiered (in 96? I think?), before it started its Saturday morning run, the WB aired these three episodes as a ninety-minute TV movie the Friday before going straight into "Fun and Games" the next morning. I remember distinctly, as I had a two-hour commute home from work back then (don't know what I was thinking) and I was hauling ass to make sure I didn't miss anything. In that format, it works especially well, as you don't notice the lag in the second episode so much.

I remember that, it was in September of 1996. Every time a commercial break would begin they would give us a little trivia(like the whole "LL" factor). It also aired a whole bunch of promo's for the now forgotten Kirk show(with Kirk Cameron). I didn't remember them airing Fun and Games the next day, but I remember that night, I recorded it(I actually still have the video tape).

I was actually reminded today; someone else thought of the whole "Why didn't Lara just get in the rocket with him?" thing you guys were angsting about. :angel:

Elliot S! Maggin wrote a couple of Superman novels round 'bout the time the first Chris Reeve movies came out, and Jor-El spent a few lines trying to shove Lara into the rocket with Kal-El. She actually did give some explanation as to why she shouldn't; i.e., the planet is falling down around us as we speak, you don't have time to make the adjustments, my weight means no guarantee of breaking orbit, better that the baby definitely get out of here than both of us maybe getting out, etc.

That first novel was called Last Son of Krypton. Excellent read. Well worth looking for on eBay or used bookstores.

That doesn't fly when it comes to the cartoon, however. This rocket was built for the larger Jor-El. If it could lift him, then it could easily lift the smaller Lara and baby together.

I do agree that it very unusual for a mother to let a baby go to an unfamiliar planet without them. But maybe there is some sort of Kryptonian Tradition where a Kryptonian married couple endures life threatening endeavors together. With the knowledge that Kal-El will have superhuman abilities was probably another comfort for her.