Episode 21

RSS

I was actually reminded today; someone else thought of the whole "Why didn't Lara just get in the rocket with him?" thing you guys were angsting about. :angel:

Elliot S! Maggin wrote a couple of Superman novels round 'bout the time the first Chris Reeve movies came out, and Jor-El spent a few lines trying to shove Lara into the rocket with Kal-El. She actually did give some explanation as to why she shouldn't; i.e., the planet is falling down around us as we speak, you don't have time to make the adjustments, my weight means no guarantee of breaking orbit, better that the baby definitely get out of here than both of us maybe getting out, etc.

That first novel was called Last Son of Krypton. Excellent read. Well worth looking for on eBay or used bookstores.

I don't think it had anything to do with the weight and adjustment factor. Remember Jor-El had no way of knowing how much time was left. He knew it was a small amout of time, but in the Cartoon's case, the Kryptonian police were going after Jor-El and would most likely would have stopped him from saving his son if he took the time to make the adjustments.

I NEED THE SUPERMAN THEME PLEEEEAASEEEE!!!!

Pre-Episode Banter

Oh well...

Agreed that S:TAS is under-appreciated.

E-Mails

Oh, so that's why there's no S:TAS theme.

One of my personal favorite themes is the theme to 'The Adventures of Batman and Robin'.

There's actually another easter egg on the third S:TAS volume (it's a hidden commentary if either of you care for them).

Oh Mike, the B/S theme is so awesome.

If you want to get the 'Killing Joke', buy the Alan Moore collection book and get a whole bunch of other awesome comics in the same package.

I missed that 'The Batman' episode, unfortunately.

I still suggest that you don't do 'Static Shock'.

Ah, there's the S:TAS theme. Listening to it right now, I'd say it might just surpass the B:TAS theme it's so beautiful.

The Last Son of Krypton

Awesome awesome stuff. I'm like the first part, but the second part, even though I hate Jason Marsden's voice, has one of the most musically and visually well-done scenes in the entire DCAU, the scene where Clark flies through Smallville. Part three is awesome, the best of the three, because the animation is awesome (it really seems like TMS, but apparently it's Koko without the help of Dong Yang, which is pretty weird) and we get a lot of Lois/Luthor spotlight, especially the ending with Luthor's and Superman's first confrontation.

I really like the decision to do the origin personally. It's a nice change of pace from B:TAS, and it really adds to the structure of the series, with was much more rooted in continuity as opposed to B:TAS, which was completely episodic.

Completely agreed about part 2; it was just way too rushed. I still love that flight scene.

Bruce Timm actually talks about being initially hesitant to add Brainiac to the mix.

I love the new animation. Even though it was more simplistic, there is still so much detail to everything (especially in part three and episodes animated by Bruce Timm). Oh yeah, I love what they did in giving Krypton its own distinct feel.

My rankings on animation is that 1 is good, 2 is either really good or pretty bad, and 3 is incredible.

The other really prominent Brainiac episodes are 'Stolen Memories' and 'Ghost in the Machine', so those would be the ones to check.

I guess you're also upset that Christopher MacDonald plays really old Superman in 'Batman Beyond'.

Bizarro's dog was named Krypto, so that's a cool little reference.

Maybe the police were still hunting for him elsewhere looking in the same general area or thought that he died when he fell out of the building or something. Maybe they got there, but then turned around after waiting so long. I don't know.

I always thought that it was because of the yellow sun, which is more ideal than the red sun for Kryptonians to thrive and survive; did they ever explain that at least partially?

Maybe Lara couldn't fit in the ship.

Back to the animation, the first one I think is a bit jerky apart form the ending, which, as you said, is excellent, and episode two is about the same with only a couple of bad moments and and the flying scene is still awesome. The third is still untouchable. You see, parts 1 and 2 were done by the exact same two studios, so I guess they changed teams. The third episode only used one of the two studios and it was somehow better than the other two.

Everyone was awesome except for Jason Marsden, who's voice is so unbelievably annoying.

NOO!!! Bud Cort plays Toyman in S:TAS and in the last season of JLU; Corey Burton had to fill in for JL's 'Hereafter'.

Nice way to pick up on that bad writing from Lana Lang.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Jason Marsden went on to do Snapper. He was much better for Snapper than for Clark.

Mike, 'she's hot' is one of the best moments of the S:TAS WFP episodes already. So so funny.

Younger Kents. That phrase sounds really nice for some reason. Anyway, yeah, I agree that younger Kents are better than older Kents.

Oh yeah, this is the first appearance of Kaznia. How many more times as it popped up? 'Re-Birth' (BB), 'Maid of Honor' (JL), 'Hawk and Dove' (JLU), and I think one or two more.

I love Clark Kent in this show; easily one of the best portrayals of the character.

Scores

You- 8 and a 7 / Me- an 8.5

Oh yeah! I'm so excited about S:TAS. Great quote and the next five episodes are all awesome (except for 'Feeding Time'!

Maybe Lara couldn't fit in the ship.

As mentioned above, the ship was designed to fit Jor-El, so both the baby and mother could have gotten in there.

Mike, 'she's hot' is one of the best moments of the S:TAS WFP episodes already. So so funny.

Funny as it may be, the statement is true: Andrea Romano is hot! :wub:

I love Clark Kent in this show; easily one of the best portrayals of the character.

This really is a great portrayal, isn't it? He's not overly clumsy or dopey, but just enough to make you think he's not Superman.

As mentioned above, the ship was designed to fit Jor-El, so both the baby and mother could have gotten in there.

Yeah, but maybe the ship's life support system was designed only for one person, or maybe Kal-El's needs for the voyage couldn't be met if so much room was being taken up by his mother or something. I don't know.

Wait, Lois Lane is a hard-nosed petulant bitchy reporter?!?! That can't be right - I mean I watched Superman Returns and she wasn't like that at all....

No slothian, from I recall Lois was an annoying bitch, and also she sucks at being a mom.

Eh, I don't remember her being a *bad* mom in that film, but the fact she was one at all was part of the problem. I'm not saying Lois Lane's character can't mellow, but in that Superman Returns is meant to be a continuation from Superman I & II, I saw nothing of Margot Kidder in Kate Bosworth's performance, which you can't blame on the script alone when you consider what Routh did.

On Topic: I like the idea of keeping ye olde Batman TAS theme. Like Mike, that film just gets me pumped up at the start of all WFP episodes, much like I love hearing Vincent Price in the Dread Media credits.

I enjoyed Superman Returns, it wasn't a bad film. But what they did wrong was establish it as canon to Superman I and II. All they really could have used was the John Williams theme and the Marlon Brando dialogue. It should have been a seperate series from the Christopher Reeve films.

Kates Bosworth's performance wasn't what it could have been, she seems to have taken what Dana Delany and Teri Hatcher did with the role and mix it with the attitude of a mother.

Kevin Spacey was fun and probably one of the best things about the film. Throughout the film I didn't think one time about Gene Hackman, Clancy Brown or John Shea's portrayels of the character.

Brandon Routh was okay, for a man who had the weight of Christopher Reeve's performance on him, he could have done worse.

The rest of the acting was decent and helped the film pace well.

Also I wasn't a big fan of the last 30 minutes of the film, when the continent of Kryptonite is made that's when the film kind of lagged for me.

The last problem with the film is that since it was written by die hard fans of the first 2 films and there are an overabudants of references(like lines and similar-type characters)to those two films.

But since this reply has become more of a review here's my score. 6 out of 10

I enjoyed Superman Returns, it wasn't a bad film. But what they did wrong was establish it as canon to Superman I and II. All they really could have used was the John Williams theme and the Marlon Brando dialogue. It should have been a seperate series from the Christopher Reeve films.

Kates Bosworth's performance wasn't what it could have been, she seems to have taken what Dana Delany and Teri Hatcher did with the role and mix it with the attitude of a mother.

Kevin Spacey was fun and probably one of the best things about the film. Throughout the film I didn't think one time about Gene Hackman, Clancy Brown or John Shea's portrayels of the character.

Brandon Routh was okay, for a man who had the weight of Christopher Reeve's performance on him, he could have done worse.

Also I wasn't a big fan of the last 30 minutes of the film, when the continent of Kryptonite is made that's when the film kind of lagged for me.

The last problem with the film is that since it was written by die hard fans of the first 2 films and there are an overabudants of references(like lines and similar-type characters)to those two films.

You should hear the reviews on the main Earth-2.net podcasts, #39 & #72. I seem to remember #72 winning some kind of award.... :happy:

You should hear the reviews on the main Earth-2.net podcasts, #39 & #72. I seem to remember #72 winning some kind of award.... :happy:

That's funny, we had alot of the same opinion.

In episode #72; they mention Toristas, that was TERRIBLE!!!!!OMG, the film it was made on should be burned and never shown to any person ever. Ed Wood films are better.

In the Lois & Clark TV show the Kents are portrayed as being younger, possibly a little younger than the S:TAS Kents.

There is one episode , where Lois and Clark go to the past and meet Martha and Jonathan Kent on the day they found Clark in the spaceship. In this episode the same two actors who portray Martha and Jonathan portray younger versions of themselves, but the make up they used, made them appear like they were in there late 30's early 40's, not much younger than their regular aged selves.

In the Lois & Clark TV show the Kents are portrayed as being younger, possibly a little younger than the S:TAS Kents.

There is one episode , where Lois and Clark go to the past and meet Martha and Jonathan Kent on the day they found Clark in the spaceship. In this episode the same two actors who portray Martha and Jonathan portray younger versions of themselves, but the make up they used, made them appear like they were in there late 30's early 40's, not much younger than their regular aged selves.

It was actually Lois & H.G. Wells that went back in time. Love that H.G. Wells randomly shows up.

It was actually Lois & H.G. Wells that went back in time. Love that H.G. Wells randomly shows up.

Yeah, but remember Clark was there too. This was before Lois found out about Clark being Superman and when they went to the Kent farm, Jonathan kind of looked at Clark weird when Clark hugged Martha(not knowing he is his future son he was probably thinking he was hitting on her or something). I believe it was a 2nd Season episode.