Detective Conan/Case Closed

James D.

Has anyone checked this show out on Adult Swim? I thought it would be goofy as hell when I saw the commercials, but I started watching it a couple weeks ago and I'm absolutely hooked on it. I love a good murder mystery, and this show does it very well in anime form. I like trying to solve the mysteries myself while watching it. I highly recommend you guys to watch this (even though it comes on at an ungodly hour of the night--3:30am EDT).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone checked this show out on Adult Swim? I thought it would be goofy as hell when I saw the commercials, but I started watching it a couple weeks ago and I'm absolutely hooked on it. I love a good murder mystery, and this show does it very well in anime form. I like trying to solve the mysteries myself while watching it. I highly recommend you guys to watch this (even though it comes on at an ungodly hour of the night--3:30am EDT).

I've seen it a few times, I have a few chapters of the manga that I haven't read yet, but it's pretty cool.

• 4 weeks later...

It's coming to DVD on August 24:

Case Closed - The Secret Life of Jimmy Kudo (Vol. 1)

Case Closed - Deadly Illusions (Vol. 2)

Case Closed - Starter Set

No details concerning how long each DVD is, or even how many episodes are on each. And I'm assuming the "starter set" is a collected edition of Vol. 1 & 2.

EDIT:

Found a description.

Vol. 1

Running Time - 82

Episode 1: The Big Shrink

Jimmy Kudo is a teenage superstar. Jimmy’s uncanny sense of deduction and brilliant mind have helped him become one of the top detectives in the world despite his age. But things are about to change for Jimmy in a big way. After investigating a brutal crime, Jimmy is blindsided and forced to take an experimental drug. The result…teenage super sleuth Jimmy Kudo has been shrunk to childhood size!

Episode 2: The Kidnapped Debutante

After being attacked by two mysterious men in black, teenage super sleuth Jimmy Kudo has been transformed into Detective Conan, the world’s smallest crime fighting sensation! In his first case, Conan attempts to track and rescue the kidnapped daughter of a wealthy businessman. With surprise at every turn, Conan hopes to rescue the girl and uncover clues leading to his attackers.

Episode 3: Beware of Idols

Yoko Okino is one of the brightest stars in the entertainment industry. But her previously spotless record takes a hit as a body is discovered in her penthouse apartment. With no other suspects to be found and all clues pointing to the grief stricken star, Conan and Richard, Yoko’s number one fan, struggle to find the one clue that would clear the idol’s name.

Episode 4: Fish Marks the Spot

When a treasure map is mysteriously dropped into their grasp, Conan and his friends form the Junior Detective League and try to decipher the clues. As they follow the maps winding road, three strange men begin tracking their every move. Does this map lead to untold riches, or will this first outing prove to be the last for the Junior Detective League?

The "starter kit" includes Vol. 1 and an "artbox."

Vol. 2 (from season 4, Disk 1)

Running Time - 62

Episode 53: The Mist Goblin Murder Part 1

A baffling and seemingly impossible murder is committed at a secluded mountain temple. Luckily Conan and Richard are on the scene! It is believed that the terrible Mist Goblin, a creature with super strength, haunts the temple. Conan doesn’t believe in goblins, but he may have to change his tune as the evidence suggests that the Mist Goblin may be more than just a legend!

Episode 54: The Mist Goblin Murder Part 2

Cherry blossom petals, a failed arranged marriage, and a rubber boat? What do these things have to do with the horrible Mist Goblin, a creature haunting an out of the way temple? Plenty! In the second part of a seemingly perfect murder, Conan sees what the police cannot. As Inspector Meguire begins to close the investigation, Conan must think fast if he is to reveal the truth behind the Mist Goblin!

Episode 55: Weapon of Choice

When a man is found murdered on his balcony, three suspects emerge: His jilted wife, a business competitor, and a man requesting a loan. But even if one of them committed the crime, just how did they do it when none of them were anywhere near the victim? And what part does a dazed bird play? That’s just what Conan intends to figure out!

Vol. 2 (from season 4, Disk 2) -- release date October 12

Running Time - 62

Episode 56: Game Gone Bad

The past returns to haunt the President of a popular video game company as a bomb destroys part of his building…and a seemingly innocent victim! In addition, Conan comes ever closer to tracking down the men who shrunk him. Can he reach their hideout in time?

Episode 57: Train Trick

If a train departs a station at 10:30, and another train arrives five minutes later, how can a man on one train kill another man on the other? That’s exactly what Conan has to figure out and fast! Even the simplest of life’s actions have great meaning in this incredible case!

Episode 58: The Sunfish Murder

Conan must clean up a messy situation at a popular cleaning company when the company’s manager is crushed by a large piece of steel. But Conan encounters dead end after dead end in the alleyway where the murder was committed. Could the cleanliness of the company somehow be the killer’s downfall?

Man, the conclusion to the two-part episode "Billionaire Birthday Blues" was so contrived and not worth the three-day wait. What a letdown.

To an extent, I agree. Some of the explanations about the water were open-ended and poorly-written, but I did like the whole explanation about the air conditioning and the microwaves causing a breaker trip. I'd rate it a 6 on a scale of 10.

Well, tonight's episode was pretty lame. I know they can't all be about murders, but a flag being cut up? OH NO. Not THAT!!!!

Anyway, the preview for tomorrow's episode looks REALLY cool. I'm wondering about the whole Jimmy Kudo illusion Rachel saw.

Well, tonight's episode was pretty lame. I know they can't all be about murders, but a flag being cut up? OH NO. Not THAT!!!!

Because the preview looked blah (and because you said it wasn't that good), I'll probably skip tonight's episode.

Well, tonight's episode was pretty lame.  I know they can't all be about murders, but a flag being cut up?  OH NO.  Not THAT!!!!

Because the preview looked blah (and because you said it wasn't that good), I'll probably skip tonight's episode.

Yeah, don't waste your time. Tomorrow, though, looks to be VERY good.

"Karaoke Killing" on was okay, but the next one ("Conan is Kidnapped") looks sweet!

I really liked tonight's episode. It was really sad and depressing and to be able to envoke emotions like that is a sign of a well-written script.

Oh, and I CANNOT WAIT for tomorrow's show. Looks to be very interesting...

Upon second viewing (well, half a second viewing, 'cause I was reading with the show as background noise), I've decided it was a little better than I first thought. The tragic ending to the case was beautiful. (You just have to know me to understand just how much I love tragedy.)

Are there any Case Closed comics?

There are many Detective Conan mangas, but I don't know about normal $2.95 comic books.

EDIT: It's called "Detective Conan" really. "Case Closed" is yet another example of Cartoon Network butchering an anime. (See: Sailormoon, Dragonball Z, Inuyasha, et al...)

Edited by James D.

There are many Detective Conan mangas, but I don't know about normal $2.95 comic books.

I was searching for some at the book store the other day (under both titles), but didn't come across a single issue.

I was searching for some at the book store the other day (under both titles), but didn't come across a single issue.

I doubt there are any English-translated ones out right now. They're probably all only in Japanese. However, with the popularity of the show, I'm sure the manga companies will translate them soon enough.