Batman: Gotham Knight

Stavros

Batman Anime Preview

:shocked:

I may be looking forward to this more than the live action film. 6 short films in different styles with different directors and writers? This is absolutly fucking INSANE. The Deadshot showdown in particular just blows my mind. This is the sort of thing I'd love them to do as an HBO Spawn-style series.

• 2 weeks later...

The press release:

DC Comics, Warner Premiere, Warner Home Video and Warner Bros. Animation have collaborated to create a unique Batman experience in Batman: Gotham Knight. The all-new, original movie will arrive July 8, 2008 on DVD and Blu-ray Disc. Order due date is June 3, 2008. The original movie will also be available OnDemand and Pay-per-View as well as available for download on the same day as release date, July 8, 2008.

Batman: Gotham Knight is a fresh and exciting new entry into the Batman mythos, spinning out of a 40-year history in animation including the Emmy®-winning Batman: The Animated Series, widely considered a pivotal moment in American animation. A cross section of distinguished creators, award winning producers, and acclaimed writers weave six interlocking stories that reveal Bruce Wayne’s journey to Dark Knight, each with stylish art from some of the world’s most revered animation visionaries.

Batman: Gotham Knight was headed by an impressive list of directors who have brought their distinctly different anime styles to the classic Batman character. The production was divided among three renowned studios – Studio 4ºC, Production I.G and Madhouse – and included the truly inimitable visions of directors Shojiro Nishimi, Futoshi Higashide, Hiroshi Morioka, Yasuhiro Aoki and Toshiyuki Kubooka. With stories written by several of the most talented writers of film, comic books, and animation, including Academy Award®-nominated screenwriter Josh Olson (A History of Violence), David S. Goyer (Batman Begins), Emmy®-winner Alan Burnett (Batman: The Animated Series), Jordan Goldberg (Associate Producer, The Dark Knight), and award-winning comics writers Greg Rucka and Brian Azzarello, Batman: Gotham Knight presents thrilling new adventures of Batman that spotlight several of Gotham City’s most dangerous villains, including the fearsome Scarecrow, the freakish Killer Croc and the unnerving marksman known as Deadshot. Batman: Gotham Knight is produced by Emma Thomas (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight), Michael Uslan & Benjamin Melniker (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight), Toshi Hiruma and Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series).

Batman: Gotham Knight will be available on DVD for $24.98 SRP. There will also be a 2-disc Special Edition DVD available for $29.98 SRP which contains additional bonus features. All the content from the 2-disc Special Edition DVD will be available on Blu-ray Disc for $34.99 SRP.

Batman: Gotham Knight DVD will feature incredible extras including:

“A Mirror for the Bat: The Evil Denizens of Gotham City” - A stimulating documentary covering Gotham City’s most nefarious of characters, combined with a look into the symbiotic relationship Batman shares with his enemies.

“Sneak Peek: Wonder Woman” - DC Universe animated original movie

Audio Commentary - Featuring the filmmakers of Gotham Knight.

Widescreen (1.78:1)

5.1 Dolby Digital

The 2-disc Special Edition DVD will feature even more incredible extras including:

“Batman and Me a Devotion of Destiny: The Bob Kane Story” - The comprehensive chronology of the remarkable life of the creator of Batman.

“Batman: The Animated Series” Bonus Episodes - Bruce Timm selects his favorite episodes from Batman: The Animated Series.

“Batman: Gotham Knight explores an exciting moment between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight,” said Paul Levitz, DC Comics President and Publisher, “and takes our fans on a very different visual trip through Gotham and Batman’s life. We’re extremely proud of this project, and look forward to adding to the momentum our DC Universe Animated Original Movie program has been building.”

“Batman: Gotham Knight is a perfect example of the type of release that Warner Premiere is becoming known for and that audiences are hungry for,” said Matt Bierman, Vice President, Production, Warner Premiere. “With incredible production values, a top-notch creative team and compelling, iconic characters from the DC Universe, Batman: Gotham Knight really raises the bar in the Direct-to-DVD arena and we’re proud to be a part of this production.”

“To date, over 13.5 million units of Batman animated titles have been sold and we are thrilled to release Batman: Gotham Knight, the next installment of the DC Universe animated original movies, which will be a hit with Super Hero and comic book fans alike,” said Amit Desai, WHV Vice President, Kids and Sports Marketing.

Batman: Gotham Knight Marketing Support

Batman: Gotham Knight will be supported by a massive media campaign including primetime TV spots, national print and online coverage. Marketing support will also include strong promotional support as well as a grassroots viral campaign.

DC UNIVERSE ORIGINAL MOVIES

DC Comics, Warner Premiere, Warner Home Video (WHV) and Warner Bros. Animation (WBA) began the production and distribution of “DC Universe,” a series of original, animated PG-13 movies in July 2006. This original made for DVD movie is part of the DC Universe series of animated PG-13 films written and directed by acclaimed comic book creators and animators and featuring recognizable talent. WHV will be the exclusive worldwide home entertainment distributor for all DC Universe movies, which will include a slate of 2-3 action-packed films per year. Superman Doomsday and Justice League: The New Frontier were the first DC Universe original animated movies. Other DC properties with films in development include Justice League, Green Lantern, Flash and Wonder Woman.

BASICS

Street Date: July 8, 2008

Order Due Date: June 3, 2008

Languages: English, Spanish

Subtitles: Spanish

Run Time: 75 minutes

Aspect Ratio: Widescreen (1.78:1)

Audio: 5.1 Dolby Surround Stereo

Color / Closed Captioned

Rating: PG-13

Batman: Gotham Knight (DVD)

Price: $24.98 SRP / No MAP

UPC: 085391123323

Batman: Gotham Knight (2 Disc Special Edition DVD)

Price: $29.98 SRP / No MAP

UPC: 0883929011155

Batman: Gotham Knight (Blu-ray Disc)

Price: $34.99 SRP / No MAP

UPC: 085391179511

About Warner Premiere:

Warner Premiere is Warner Bros. Entertainment’s new direct-to-consumer production company focused on the development, production and marketing of feature-length content, as well as short form digital content for the growing home entertainment market. Warner Premiere is committed to being at the creative forefront in the evolution of quality product in the direct-to-DVD business and the digital space, creating material that exemplifies the commitment to story, production and brand equity for which Warner Bros. is known.

About Warner Home Video:

With operations in 90 international territories Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

About DC Comics:

DC Comics, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, is the largest English-language publisher of comics in the world and home to such iconic characters as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and the Sandman. These DC Super Heroes and others have starred in comic books, movies, television series (both animated and live-action) and cyberspace, thrilling audiences of all ages for generations. DC Comics’ Web site is located at www.dccomics.com.

BATMAN and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © DC Comics. (s08)

About Warner Bros. Animation:

Warner Bros. Animation has been producing award-winning original animation since 1930, when it released its first cartoon, “Sinkin' in the Bathtub.” Since then, Warner Bros. Animation’s characters have set the standard for innovative, quality animation. Producing for network and cable television, online, home entertainment and feature films both domestically and internationally, Warner Bros. Animation is highly respected for its creative and technical excellence, as well as maintaining the studio’s rich cartoon heritage. Warner Bros. Animation also oversees the creative use of, and production of animated programming based on classic animated characters from the Hanna-Barbera and DC Comics libraries. Warner Bros. Animation is one of the most honored animation studios in history, garnering a grand total of six Academy Awards®, 35 Emmy® Awards, the George Foster Peabody Award, an Environmental Media Award, a Parents’ Choice Award, a Humanitas Award, two Prism Awards and 20 Annie Awards (honoring excellence in animation).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just got my copy of this in the post this morning :shocked: yay!

I just watched it and it is good, though i need to watch it again, kevin Conroy is as good as always doing the voice!

it's pretty good, but it felt short.

Anyway, will watch it again and take down what i fully think of it. :angel:

Got it last night, but haven't watched it yet. Do all the stories weave together into a central story?

No, only the first story.

It's not like legends of the dark knight from TNBA as it just has the story's all over the place with different looks of the different batman:

I just got through the second disc:

It has a good documentary on the villains of batman, it's quite short and doesn't go into great amounts of detail but is fun for a little info on the joker, Harley etc.

Theirs a bob Kane biography which is just as much about his life as it is batman and i really liked it, it was almost like a documentary on him and really gives you the background of how the Adam west cartoon started. That story really makes you think how important that show was to batman.

Also disc two comes with 2 B:TAS and 2 TNBA episodes which are presented by Bruce Timm, i kind of thought they would come with an intro from him, from todays perspective, but its not. Oh well, i have the boxset so these are worthless to me, but are a nice bonus.

So it's quite good, now i just need to rewatch the film properly.

Will give a review when i watch the film fully and the commentary.

Here's my review of this new PG-13 Film.

First off I must say that this film isn't better than Bruce Timm and

Co.'s last attempt(which being Justice League: The New Frontier), but

it still holds well to being one of the best adaptations of the Batman

mythos ever. Kevin Conroy plays the voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman, a role

he's been familiar with for over 15 years. However, this version of the

Dark Knight, while still dark and gritty is completely different from

his DCAU version. Why, Warner Brothers didn't go to Christian Bale to

cover the voice(since this is in continuity with the live action

Christopher Nolan films)is a mystery, but Kevin Conroy still does a

great job in the role. At times, the voice didn't seem to fit the way

the character was drawn, but it still watchable. The animation from 6

different teams is beyond remarkable, I have never been into Anime,

mainly because of the story lines, but I have always admired the

animation and this animation is quite mind blowing. Along the way of

voice actors, we get DCAU voice actors Will Friedle, James Marsden,

Corey Burton and Kevin Michael Richardson, all showing why Andrea

Romano chose them before and why she chose them now.

If you watch this film for any reason other than its connection to the

live action films, watch it for its animation and story structure. Any

true Batman fan will love seeing their favorite Dark Knight in Anime

Action.

GOOD JOB BRUCE TIMM AND COMPANY!!!!!

That was money well spent. My favorite vignette was "Deadshot" just based on the cold heartlessness of Lawton and how Batman finally defeats him. But each story had its own merits. Very, very good DVD. I now need to watch the special features disc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

I just rented B: GK on iTunes and watched it on my iPhone I liked the Deadshot Story the best I think it was mike or james that said in an episode of WFP that conroys voice as the younger bruce was off or something and I agree.

WHILE I MAINTAIN THAT KEVIN CONROY is the only animated Batman I recognize this left me feeling like I just wasted $4 now I'm unsure of the DVD special features and not sure if I want to get the DVD just for the features. I think because I like the DCAU animation style better is why I wasn't into this at all other then the Deadshot story. I understand that it's "anime" stylized but for me I like the DCAU animation styles better. I ever could get into anime shows. Anyways those are my two cents on Batman: Gotham Knight

Mike: PLEASE DON'T wait until The Dark Knight comes to DVD to review it PLEASE!!!!!! everyone that wants to see it probably has by now.

I vote Earth-2.net The Show Episode 270: The Dark Knight episode

Guest DCAUFan1051
I acknowledge that I might be hallucinating, but Mike, didn't you already review Dark Knight back in June?

say what? I think u need to lay off the clam chowdah there dan lol I don't think they have ever reviewed The Dark Knight yet seeing as the movie didn't come out until July 18th they wouldn't have done it in June are you ok up there Dan stop seeing stuff that aint there lol :devil: :D

At this point there's two problems:

01. Jenny and I have to see it again.

02. I don't want to double dip, but that's exactly what we'll be doing if Jenny and I review it now, and then James, Ian and myself do it down the road.

I hate to say it, but you might have to wait until I get to it with James and Ian.

Wasn't it said during an episode of WFP at the start:

It was ok, but I won't be wanting to see it again
or something similar.

The movie is OK, but the new frontier was a shitload better.

The four episodes of BTAS are horribly done, their are lines that cut through the screen, and really the episodes look like shit conversions, and can't really be watched.