Episode 25

RSS

In this episode of Dread Media, Desmond Reddick interviews writer, director and star of the vampire comedy Revamped, Jeff Rector. Then he reviews Dead of Night Featuring Man-Thing #1 from Marvel Comics. Some news and updates on the podcast itself. Tunes include: "Gates of Delirium" by Midnight Syndicate, "Baby You're a Pain in the Neck" by The Cowgirl Wranglers, "Bloodsucking Freaks" by The Browns, "In the Dead of Night" by The Order and "Blood" by Emigrate. RIP Steve Gerber. [ 1:10:46 || 32.4 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia...admedia_025.mp3

Very good episode! I enjoyed the interview with Jeff Rector (i remember him from when he made a guest spot on one of my favorite shows Veronica Mars), and the movie Revamped sounded pretty intresting. I might check it out since it seems like something i might get a kick out of.

On the topic of Man-Thing, i do have to say that although you might find him to be a rip-off of Swamp Thing (which he pretty much is), the work done by Steve Gerber on that title is incredible, and his take on the character was unprecedented at the time. No one was doing mainstream comics like that at the time, and it certainly paved the way for things like Alan Moore's Swamp Thing (which i also love). In other lesser writer's hands Man-Thing isn't really much of a character but in Gerber's hands it was really something special, and not to mention if it wasn't for that book Howard The Duck would of never came to earth. I still haven't seen the Man-Thing movie you speak of but am looking foward to seeing that travesty one of these days lol.

Joe Quesada on the other hand is a complete douchebag. I know Mike likes him but that dude embodies everything that is wrong with mainstream comics and just the comics industry in general. Horror comics don't sell ? I can think of a few examples to say otherwise (The Walking Dead and 30 Days Of Night immediatly spring to mind). Maybe if your company decides to expand their catalogue into different genres and show the readers that there is more out there than just the same recycled superhero garbage that comes out every month they might actually you know buy a horror comic instead. but i know that's a crazy idea. Also the comics have to be good in the first place, which as i can tell by your quick review of Dead Of Night, it certainly isn't. It also makes me wonder why when Steve Gerber was practically begging for work the last few years and was obviously going through a lot of health problems, why didn't they just get him to write Dead Of Night, and you know all the other recently re-launched comics that were created by Steve Gerber as well ?

I gotta say Des, i am really digging your show so far. It's just a really intresting format, and i like how you play songs, and just generally talk about whatever you want (kind of reminds me of an old school college radio show). It's a real refreshing alternative to the other podcasts i listen to, and definetly makes you stand out from the pack. Looking foward to another 25 episodes.

Very good episode! I enjoyed the interview with Jeff Rector (i remember him from when he made a guest spot on one of my favorite shows Veronica Mars), and the movie Revamped sounded pretty intresting. I might check it out since it seems like something i might get a kick out of.

On the topic of Man-Thing, i do have to say that although you might find him to be a rip-off of Swamp Thing (which he pretty much is), the work done by Steve Gerber on that title is incredible, and his take on the character was unprecedented at the time. No one was doing mainstream comics like that at the time, and it certainly paved the way for things like Alan Moore's Swamp Thing (which i also love). In other lesser writer's hands Man-Thing isn't really much of a character but in Gerber's hands it was really something special, and not to mention if it wasn't for that book Howard The Duck would of never came to earth. I still haven't seen the Man-Thing movie you speak of but am looking foward to seeing that travesty one of these days lol.

Joe Quesada on the other hand is a complete douchebag. I know Mike likes him but that dude embodies everything that is wrong with mainstream comics and just the comics industry in general. Horror comics don't sell ? I can think of a few examples to say otherwise (The Walking Dead and 30 Days Of Night immediatly spring to mind). Maybe if your company decides to expand their catalogue into different genres and show the readers that there is more out there than just the same recycled superhero garbage that comes out every month they might actually you know buy a horror comic instead. but i know that's a crazy idea. Also the comics have to be good in the first place, which as i can tell by your quick review of Dead Of Night, it certainly isn't. It also makes me wonder why when Steve Gerber was practically begging for work the last few years and was obviously going through a lot of health problems, why didn't they just get him to write Dead Of Night, and you know all the other recently re-launched comics that were created by Steve Gerber as well ?

I gotta say Des, i am really digging your show so far. It's just a really intresting format, and i like how you play songs, and just generally talk about whatever you want (kind of reminds me of an old school college radio show). It's a real refreshing alternative to the other podcasts i listen to, and definetly makes you stand out from the pack. Looking foward to another 25 episodes.

Damn you Malpractice! If you had written this twenty minutes earlier I would have had feedback for last week's show in this week's episode. I had to record early.

Thanks for the kind words. I know that Gerber had done some great stuff but I just don't think it is done justice in the new series.

Revamped is dumb fun. Don't expect greatness and you'll enjoy it. B Movie fun. It is worth the rental alone to see Kato Kaelin killed.

I'll try and remember to read this on the next episode. Keep listening, my man!

Damn you Malpractice! If you had written this twenty minutes earlier I would have had feedback for last week's show in this week's episode. I had to record early.

lol sorry about that. I actually would of posted that hours earlier but i was helping my sister set up her iPod because she's going on a trip tomorrow.

Thanks for the kind words. I know that Gerber had done some great stuff but I just don't think it is done justice in the new series.

I would definetly agree with you there. The same can be said about the new Howard The Duck, and FoolKiller series. Omega The Unknown on the other hand actually turned out to be pretty good.

Revamped is dumb fun. Don't expect greatness and you'll enjoy it. B Movie fun. It is worth the rental alone to see Kato Kaelin killed.

Well i enjoyed Hatchet, and The Toxic Avenger is one of my favorite movies. Not to mention i have a Carnosaur poster hanging up in my room, so i would say B movie fun is my cup of tea.