A sad day

JackFetch

Wait, you're just going to buy another one?

If it's a RROD issue, you know you can just send it to Microsoft, right?

I've had mine since launch. I got my moneys worth out of it. I don't see the point in waiting over a month to get another one, when I can get a new one tonight. Besides, it's funny that you automatically assumed it was the red ring of death.

it's funny that you automatically assumed it was the red ring of death.

There ain't a whole lot of other ways for a 360 to just suddenly die.

I completely understand not waiting a month, but I just can't imagine not getting your broken system fixed for free, despite the wait, then selling it when they send it back to you, you know?

it's funny that you automatically assumed it was the red ring of death.

There ain't a whole lot of other ways for a 360 to just suddenly die.

I completely understand not waiting a month, but I just can't imagine not getting your broken system fixed for free, despite the wait, then selling it when they send it back to you, you know?

I'm on with customer support right now. What a nightmare that system is. I'm probably still going to buy another one tomorrow. Chances are I'll give it away once it's fixed.

btw, after 3 different calls, they told me their computers are updating and can't put in the repair order. They told me to call back tomorrow.

I've heard all sorts of horror stories about Microsoft Support, but have to say my experience with them was just about perfect. Quick turnaround, I got a brand new 360 within two weeks... not a repair, a replacement.

However, judging by what most everybody else I know has had to go through... have strength.

I have to say my experience parallels Drq's. I bought a 360 for my son two Christmases ago, and as a video game system, it made a helluva paperweight right out of the box. While my initial experience with Microsoft tech support was like something out of a Kafka novel (literally a four-hour phone call, after which they pronmptly lost all my information and cancelled the work order), after that everything went very smoothly, and I had my 360 back about ten days after I sent it out. It hasn't caused a lick of trouble since.

Now, I've heard that it's gotten a LOT worse since then, and you're more likely to get someone else's broken 360 back than you are to get your own broken 360 back, and a brand new one is virtually unheard of any more.

My experience went like this:

First phone call to India where everything went fine until they went to put everything in the computer and told me they couldn't do it, and to call back and talk to someone else.

Second call minutes later and got hung up on while transferring to someone.

Third call pretty much the same as the first and was told to call back the next day.

Fourth call to India and was on for about 45 minutes, and put on hold about 20 times. They finally got everything done and I'm waiting on the shipping box.

My only gripe was about the hold times. Why do I have to be put on hold so much, and why is the hold music not even in english?

I once bought a wireless router for my PC and used the entire 30 days I had before returning trying to get the fucker to work. I did everything possible. I had my father-in-law (Principal of Technology for one of the largest school districts in my province) and my brother-in-law (hacker wunderkind) try and nothing. I called both Microsoft, my ISP and Linksys but they all told me it was the other guys' fault. I said "fine! I'm taking it back and getting a Mac!"

So I promptly took it back, plugged my PC into my modem and bought a Mac three years later!

• 3 weeks later...