Episode 198

RSS

In this extra-sized episode, Jenny and Mike discuss their recent trip to Disney World. Highlights include a medical emergency aboard the plane, a lost child, an illness caused by freezing rain, a lackluster movie and a forty-niner. A forty-niner? Yeah, sort of. After that, Jenny and Mike go through the March Previews catalog, and Ian Wilson reviews two Will Smith movies: I Am Legend and Men in Black. Plus: an addition to Earth-2.net is announced! [ 2:53:11 || 79.2 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_198.mp3

During the episode I was trying to figure out what books would comprise Daredevil by Bendis Omnibus, volume two. Here's what will most likely wind up being collected:

- Daredevil #61-81

- Daredevil: Ninja #1-3

- What If... Karen Page Had Lived?

Oh, and the word I was looking for was physician. :doh:

Ian, i know we have had our disagreements in the past but i gotta say for once i pretty much completly agree with your reviews on this episode, and i thought this segment was easily your best, and most entertaining as well.

On the contrary though, i actually felt that both I Am Legend (ending nonwithstanding), and The Mask are fairly faithful to their source material.

Ian, i know we have had our disagreements in the past but i gotta say for once i pretty much completly agree with your reviews on this episode, and i thought this segment was easily your best, and most entertaining as well.

On the contrary though, i actually felt that both I Am Legend (ending nonwithstanding), and The Mask are fairly faithful to their source material.

I think we've had one disagreement over the Turtles films and after I responded the debate kinda stopped! But many thanks! As I said in the seg, check Mike & Jenny's IAL episode to hear of the discrepancies. As for The Mask, the film is somewhat faithful towards the beginning - Stanley Ipkiss is a put-upon loser who finds The Mask and confronts hoodlums in an alley - but after that, the film never gets as dark as the comics do. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE The Mask but it's clearly a Jim Carrey-vehicle rather than a Sin City-style loving homage. And on this occasion, it really works with the

happy ending where Stanley isn't shot in the back by his abused girlfriend

business, but I don't think you can say the film is too faithful to it's origins - the creator himself wanted the film to be more Tex Avery-style than horror-based.

Gosh, our second disagreement there!

As I told you via e-mail (or was it PM?), your segment had me in tears, Ian. Every single time the music played I couldn't stop laughing.

Well, I have to pull out all the stops if I'm to beat IIWY? in next year's awards! Expect me to cover Wanted in character as Neo, lamenting how "Matrix" the whole thing sounds.

I think we've had one disagreement over the Turtles films and after I responded the debate kinda stopped!

See my problem is i start discussions and then forget about them. I would have been happy to continue arguing over why the first Turtles movie is one of the best comic book movies, if i had just remembered posting there lol. Maybe i'll do a write-up piece one day and explain my position a little bit more.

As for The Mask, the film is somewhat faithful towards the beginning - Stanley Ipkiss is a put-upon loser who finds The Mask and confronts hoodlums in an alley - but after that, the film never gets as dark as the comics do. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE The Mask but it's clearly a Jim Carrey-vehicle rather than a Sin City-style loving homage. And on this occasion, it really works with the

happy ending where Stanley isn't shot in the back by his abused girlfriend

business, but I don't think you can say the film is too faithful to it's origins - the creator himself wanted the film to be more Tex Avery-style than horror-based.

I guess we just have different opinions on what the word "faithful" means. To me, The Mask is a faithful adaptation of the comics because the movie also treats the mask itself as a character, and what that character can do to any person when they wear it. That's the message that i pretty much got out of reading the comics, and like the comics the movie also shows that the mask will get passed on to other people, so Stanley Ipkiss isn't The Mask, but anyone can be The Mask. Stanley Ipkiss, and Lt. Kellaway in the movie are pretty much the same characters off the page, except of course that the narravite is toned down a bit. It also should be noted that people tend to say that Stanley as The Mask was just this big goofy character that really caused no harm, but if you watch the movie you can see that Stanley as The Mask was a pretty dangerous guy who did KILL people. It might not be as graphic as the book, but it still happened. The ending of the movie was a departure, but it didn't really bother me. I felt overall it kept the spirit of the material intact, and while not the same tone throughout, it was "faithful" enough imo.

btw since you are obviously a Mask comic fan like myself, i am assuming you are just as excited about this upcoming June solicitation for

15182.jpg

All I can say is it's about damn time!

I don't think human ears were physically designed to handle so much Jiggy.

Otherwise another high-quality installment from the Slothmiester.

Also, congrats to Kellen on the new podcast!

Listening right now:

-My parents and I were on a flight headed to Disneyland when I was three (I barely remember this but my parents have fully informed me that it did in fact happen) and there was a woman of Middle Eastern descent who clearly was having a panic attack and running up and down the aisles screaming in Farsi and rubbing her hands together. That wouldn't happen today. Can you say air marshall?

-Johnny Depp film = The Libertine. No, Mike, it doesn't start with an A. :laugh:

More later maybe.

In a Saw-esque twist, it will be revealed that Mike and Jenny have actually been recording bits of episode 200 since before Earth-2.net even came into existence, predicting every major development up to, and including, the rise and fall of the Big Mo.

• 4 weeks later...

Technically speaking, I'm a pescetarian.

Basically, all meat makes me ill. Literally, doubled-over-in-pain ill. Fish, however, is easier on my stomach and is something I need to eat due to my HDL ("good cholesterol") being dangerously low. The high concentration of omega-3 fatty acids in some fish raises HDL, meaning, I'll live longer if I eat fish.

I could consume flax seeds / oil to get the omega-3 I need, but I'm allergic to flax. <_<

Technically speaking, I'm a pescetarian.

Basically, all meat makes me ill. Literally, doubled-over-in-pain ill. Fish, however, is easier on my stomach and is something I need to eat due to my HDL ("good cholesterol") being dangerously low. The high concentration of omega-3 fatty acids in some fish raises HDL, meaning, I'll live longer if I eat fish.

I could consume flax seeds / oil to get the omega-3 I need, but I'm allergic to flax. <_<

Sorry, I forgot the word. :blush: Anyway, I thought that it was metoned to read a book titeled "Diary of a young calph", and thats why.