Spider-Man 3 thread

Missy

We've been watching a man with the proportional strength and ability of a spider, who swings around the city with self-produced webbing fluid and sticks to walls. If you complain about Sandman and yet take the above for granted, I think that's hypocritical.

It's more asking than complaining. I think people go along with Spiderman's powers because he's such an established character and won't think to complain because he's the focus of the films. But he goes up against some very extraordinary villains, who are perhaps a bit larger than life to believably carry off (as Yoda said, Venom and Carnage to name a couple). Compared to Batman's rogues gallery, most are just mentally scarred humans who don't have powers. There's probably a reason why Clayface has never been attempted on a live action Batman film so far. I don't mean to be hypocritical, I'm just curious

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's probably a reason why Clayface has never been attempted on a live action Batman film so far. I don't mean to be hypocritical, I'm just curious

Depending on which version of Clayface you pick, Poison Ivy, Bane, and Mister Freeze are equally outlandish.

There's probably a reason why Clayface has never been attempted on a live action Batman film so far. I don't mean to be hypocritical, I'm just curious

Depending on which version of Clayface you pick, Poison Ivy, Bane, and Mister Freeze are equally outlandish.

My point exactly. :D

We all remember what a success that film was....

You're going to have to point the gun at the actors, the casting director, and the director director for that one.

Yes, Uma Thurman, George Clooney, Alicia Silverstone and Arnold Schwartzenegger. All actors with big screen names.

and Joel Schumacher. A screen veteran who directed the new Phantom of the Opera, Veronica Guerin, Phone Booth, The Lost Boys, and St. Elmo's Fire...

...as well as having experience in the batman franchise with Forever.

You're going to have to point the gun at the actors, the casting director, and the director director for that one.

Yes, Uma Thurman, George Clooney, Alicia Silverstone and Arnold Schwartzenegger. All actors with big screen names.

3 of which are substandard.

and Joel Schumacher. A screen veteran who directed the new Phantom of the Opera, Veronica Guerin, Phone Booth, The Lost Boys, and St. Elmo's Fire...

Right, and he strayed from the source in Forever, as well. He is le fuckup when it comes to Batman movies.

3 of which are substandard.

Since when was Uma Thurman substandard?

Phantom Of The Opera and St. Elmo's Fire were both the suck. I haven't seen the other 2.

Right, and he strayed from the source in Forever, as well. He is le fuckup when it comes to Batman movies.

Burton strayed from the source quite substantially in both movies. So did Leslie Martinson.

Interestingly, you left off Chris O'Donnell there :ph34r:

I'll say this before we go off topic too far:

- Schumacher sucks at comic movies. Batman Forever wasn't bad, but without Jim Carrey's Riddler and Kilmer and O'Donnell doing passably in their roles, the film would've sucked/ been dull. Everything Schumacher got away with in BF, he cranked up to make the 4th one.

- The 4th one was garbage thanks to Schumacher and the script-monkey. With more intelligent handling and a better script, it could have been good and none of the above actors would have been shown up acting-wise.

To tie this back into Spiderman 3, B&R took a risk with having a woman who had a supernatural connection with plants and a man who can shoot ice from a gun, not to mention what they did with Bane. The risk failed as it didn't make any sense, all 3 villains looked pathetic and the Batman franchise failed.

If Raimi went from a man who had steel tentacles on his back straight into a man who got taken over by something from space that makes him look like Spiderman from hell, he'd probably "Schumacher" the Spiderman series. The first two films have done too good a job at building up Parker as a real person, who just happens to have superpowers which are making life even tougher for him. If a man who has morphing sand hands is introduced, I'd find that harder to swallow than Doc Ock but easier than Venom. So I see where Yoda's coming from if they are going with Sandman.

But maybe I'm just reading into things too much. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Freeze Dried Movies is reporting this (I have no idea whether this is reliable or not):

Sony has been taunting us for quite sometime now and have only given us clues as to who we might see in Spiderman 3, which hits theaters May 4th, 2007. What we know is only that Thomas Haden Church, Topher Grace and James Franco will be in the film and that two out of the three of them are conformed villains. The truth can be found below and it's pretty black and white...

FDM has learned that Topher Grace of That 70s Show will play the immortal VENOM in Sam Raimi's third Spiderman adaptation. We told you guys a few months back that "someone" has snagged the rights to the character of Venom off of New Line Cinema and it was reported a few days ago that Grace had been "bulking up"- so we decided it was time to put the pressure on. So there you have it VENOM! Now as for the other two stars listed above we've been told that Thomas Haden Church will in fact play SANDMAN and that James Franco will play HOBGOBLIN and not the Green Goblin II (like in the comics). No more info can be given at this time, but I've confirmed this with various sources and apparently it's quite well known.

Franco is Osborn, so it'll be good if he's Hobgoblin. That sounds like way too many villains though, especially since any one of those should be more than a match for an individual Spidey.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Here it is, the very first picture of Thomas Haden Church as Flint Marko / Sandman:

Sandman_01.jpg

I think I just dirtied my pants!

I never thought I would say this, but Thomas Hayden Church looks like a badass. Also, some girl was on Jay Leno the other night saying that she was Gwen Stacy and had dyed her hair from red to blonde, but I didn't pay attention to who it was.