Did I just hear that?

Missy

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone on facebook just posted this, COMPLETELY unironically:

"The Island. Possibly the most thought provoking movie ever made."

My biggest problem is that it's a complete and utter plagarization of an earlier film, Parts: The Clonus Horror. I don't think the producers counted on it having been used in MST3K and people recognizing the more than coincidental similarities.

The island is a film that actually has a half dozen really interesting ideas, particularly about the nature of mass-production and a consumer society, but it's not like it tries to develop any of them. I honestly thought most of the smart bits were mistakes that somehow got past Michael Bay.

The island is a film that actually has a half dozen really interesting ideas, particularly about the nature of mass-production and a consumer society, but it's not like it tries to develop any of them. I honestly thought most of the smart bits were mistakes that somehow got past Michael Bay.

There is a very good chance I will steal that line from you in the near future, fantastic. I'll be sure to give credit.

The Island is two hours of looking at Scarlett Johansson. The only thoughts it provokes is all the things I'd like to do to her.

Why would you want to do anything to Scarlett Johansson, she's a lovely girl whose never done you any harm.

Thanks Max, I'll hold you to that!

Guy 1: I got a fucking C in playwriting!

Guy 2: Really?!

Guy 1: Yeah.

Guy 2: Did you skip any assignments?

Guy 1: No. Yeah. No. Just stupid small ones I didn't feel like doing. Stupid shit, you know?

This from a grad student.

• 2 weeks later...

A kid who had to be at least 6 honestly said this to me at work in front of his mom: "You look like one of those Brown People in Transformers when the scorpion shows up." I pulled off some smartalek remark about the movie being terrible when I should have just said, "Sorry kid, I'm Native American. Skorpinok is fucking up people of Arabic descent, a place on the other side of the world. Now shut up until you can name at least 5 Primes who aren't Optimis and their vehicle modes."

• 2 weeks later...

Highlights of the Neil Gaiman Wits:

-"We've got to get us the women tractor!"

-Adam Savage as Gollum singing "I Will Survive"

-A crisis of infinite Wil Wheatons

-Crow and Tom Servo showing up

-"A Dalek looks like a large ill tempered pepper pot with mysterious bumps all over it, with a laser ray to kill you with and a suction cup to unstop your toilet."

-"My hope is now that whenever people talk about her poems, they will do the hand beard tentacle thingy." (Emily Dickinson is Cthulhu)

-Accordion cover of Smoke on the Water

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A kid about 18 or 19 comes in with his hand in a cast. Keep in mind he is here for Tae Kwon Do class where he sometimes fills in for the instructor, so he's pretty good.

Me: What did you do to your hand?

Him: I tried to break a windshield with it.

Me: Did it break?

Him: No

Me: Did you at least have someone videotaping that stupidity?

Him: No

Me: Well, I guess nobody wins then.

• 4 weeks later...

Not so much "hear", but I've made the mistake of reading IMDB comments for the first time in ages for some Dread Media Presents research. This comes from an Australian called ted00043, who capitalises every word in his gushing 10/10 review of the 2005 film Man-Thing. As a post-script to the already grammatically-challenged review:

P.S. There Is A Secret Joke In This Film Steve Gerber & Mike Ploog Did Some Man-Thing Issues & They Were Characters In This Film.

Gotta love the secret joking on the part of the screenwriters, especially for a film that isn't big on subtlety.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a first grader tell me about Batman's son. I assumed he was talking about Robin, and he said "no, his name is Bat-Mite". I started to tell him that wasn't true and had to stop and say "wait, you've heard of Bat-Mite"?

I can't believe that freakin Bat-Mite is on the cartoon now. When is Crazy Quilt coming on?

The Paul Dekker version of Crazy Quilt is featured in Batman: The Brave and the Bold voiced by Jeffrey Tambor. He has a non-speaking cameo in the episode "Trials of the Demon" where he is shown robbing the Gotham Art Museum until he is defeated by Batman, and is taken away to Arkham Asylum. In "Night of the Huntress," he is shown amongst the inmates trying to escape from Blackgate Prison. Crazy Quilt plays a major role in the episode "The Color of Revenge" where he tries to get revenge on Robin for blinding him back when he and Batman worked together. He escapes to Bludhaven, robs S.T.A.R. Labs, and builds a giant laser cannon to kill Robin and destroy Bludhaven. He is defeated and is taken back to Arkham.

Source

Friend of mine just related this story to me on FB about his summer job, thought it was worth sharing-

I gave him his change at the kiosk and he was like "Do you know why 50p pieces are shaped like that?" and I was like no... And he was like "SO YOU CAN USE A SPANNER TO GET IT OUT OF THE JEWS' HANDS. GREEDY FUCKERS." I'm not sure where the swearing was placed but I am pretty sure there was some.

• 3 weeks later...