Did I just hear that?

Missy

Listened to the latest "Loeb Report" on Wordballoon this morning. The whole fucking thing is a "did I just hear that?"

Know that when you buy a comic written by Jeph Loeb, you are buying something from a guy who views the industry in nothing but dollar signs. If a book isn't selling high numbers, it's the creative team's fault that they didn't create a viable product. Art comes second to Loeb.

Fuck him.

I will never buy another of his books. And that's made easier since he's hardly written anything worth reading in the past decade anyway. Even the stuff that was worth reading is overrated for the most part. He can join Dan Slott, Michael Turner and Chuck Dixon on The List.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loeb has his head so far up his own ass, it's amazing.

I know why you hate Slott and Dixon, but why Michael Turner? Also, he's dead. So you might want to remove him from The List since, you know, he isn't producing more work anyway.

I know why you hate Slott and Dixon, but why Michael Turner? Also, he's dead. So you might want to remove him from The List since, you know, he isn't producing more work anyway.

I have hated Turner's art since the moment I first saw it. He embodies all of the worst of the Image guys in one derivative style. He'll remain on The List as a place of honor.

When he passed away, I was sad. I'm never happy when someone dies but the email I got form my LCS owner friend was hilarious: "I bet you'd feel really bad now if you'd have actually punched him at Wizard World."

Truth be told, though I wouldn't call myself a fan of Turner, I thought he did a good job modernizing the Image style. Some of his work I have complained about, and I don't think he was a fit for certain characters, but he had his place and mostly stuck with it.

Now, remember when you said that about 2Pac?

Loeb did the long halloween, which was great(Though open to debate) he then killed that with dark Victory.

He created Hush with Jim Lee, though that story did get convoluted and shit around the last few chapters were poor and the pay off was.....wait their wasn't one.

So, Des, can you put Greg Rucka on that list for me?

Now, remember when you said that about 2Pac?

I was going to say that too. The guy has had more posthumous releases than Jack Kirby for god's sake!

Which I guess is easy when all you did was decide what costume to put on the male or female body type you draw on random comic covers.

I have hated Turner's art since the moment I first saw it. He embodies all of the worst of the Image guys in one derivative style. He'll remain on The List as a place of honor.

I always really enjoyed his art, even if all his women had glittering eyeballs and all his men had jawlines that could slice a pear in half.

Jim Lee may be a lot better with character models, but Turner comes very close with his knack for lighting style and framing. His work in books like Superman/Batman is excellent.

I, for one, was really upset when he died.

In a thread about the 1989 Batman movie (which came out twenty years ago today btw) someone said that it is "still the only decent Batman movie."

That actually makes a twisted kind of sense from a certain point of view. As we've learned from the fan reaction to The Brave and the Bold, there are some people that will ONLY accept ONE version of Batman. The 1989 film is the closest to portraying a Batman that's still comic-book-fantastical while still treading near a type of pseudo-realism. It doesn't exactly succeed, but it's still the only "decent" Batman film of its type; the other Burton/Schumacher films get worse and worse. The Nolan films are great, but are so completely realistic that they alienate that small, twisted portion of the fan community that only likes the Burton-esque films.

I didn't mind Michael Turner's art. I didn't think it was great, but I didn't think it was terrible.

On the other hand, I hope for the day when Jeph Loeb can't get any work. Terrible writer. He must have made a deal with the devil to get Hulk to sell as many copies as it does every month.

On the other hand, I hope for the day when Jeph Loeb can't get any work. Terrible writer. He must have made a deal with the devil to get Hulk to sell as many copies as it does every month.

Right I read one issue of the Hulk(Got it in a five random comics for £1) and it was fucking boring, all that happened was the red hulk threatened she hulk, then it had a twelve page random story.

Oh, and this originally would have cost $3.99

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just started a student on the Animal Farm unit off English 10. Gave him the spiel about totalitarianism and communism and all that good stuff and he started reading. After a page he came up to me and this is what followed:

HIM: So, is this the same Animal Farm as the one with Chevy Chase?

(i thought for a second about if he was talking about the live action film with talking mouth animated animals with Kelsey Grammer when it hit me.)

ME: 1, I think you're thinking about Animal House and John Belushi. In which case, no it's not the same but it's almost as awesome.

:doh:

Just started a student on the Animal Farm unit off English 10. Gave him the spiel about totalitarianism and communism and all that good stuff and he started reading. After a page he came up to me and this is what followed:

HIM: So, is this the same Animal Farm as the one with Chevy Chase?

(i thought for a second about if he was talking about the live action film with talking mouth animated animals with Kelsey Grammer when it hit me.)

ME: 1, I think you're thinking about Animal House and John Belushi. In which case, no it's not the same but it's almost as awesome.

:doh:

Well, you should make him watch the one with Kelsey Grammer, though the animated version is creepier.