Words and Phrases You Overuse

"Awesome" and "lame" are probably my two most used. In writing, I find that I use the words "utterly" and "vapid" frequently, often in tandem.

As far as phrases, "you know" is my most annoying verbal quirk. I'm at the point where I have to consciously try not to start every sentence with it. I'm also a proponent of "well, there you go", "fair enough" and "this is not a new development".

Any reference to Christianity is always substituted with "The Jesus" as well.

There's tons more that I likely just don't notice.

"[insert first part of sentence here]...but whatever." I use that when I can't explain something incredibly illogical that happened in something I was watching. I use that far too much, though. In fact, I'll bet that I have used "...but whatever." to end one sentence in every one of my Tranquil Tirades columns.

My favorite words that I overuse in columns, though, are: insane, hideous, atrocious, and ridiculous. :happy:

Anyone who reads anything I write knows I use "awesome" more often than I use "the".

One of my big conversational crutches is "I dunno." That's Danspeak for either "I'm finished with this topic and am ready to move onto another" or "I can't think of anything else to say and am ready to end this conversation altogether."

I also make ample use of the New England "Ayuh."

There are a few thing that creep into my lexicon now and then. The problem is that I'm so easily influenced that you can really tell what TV or flms I've been watching by how I talk. I thought I'd gone as far as I could into adopted speaking styles with crazy valley-speak back when Buffy was on but then the second I saw Firefly I was using the awesome Southern/Whedon dialect everywhere. I even learned to swear in Chinese. I thought I'd kicked the habit but recent;y I rewatched the whole of Firefly and then saw Big Fish for good measure. I'm going to be talking strange for weeks, using phrasing like "a whole mess of..." or "I can't rightly...". I suspect that reading Preacher from start to end isn't going to help.